U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2015, 06:32 AM
 
811 posts, read 1,736,865 times
Reputation: 368

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
DC is not a planned community. The region spans two states and the district. While they plan mass transit as a group, bridges bring out local interests. Montgomery County is not going to sacrifice it's green zone for Virginia exburbs. Within Virginia, Arlington rejects expanse of 66, which only helps the farther out suburbs. If you don't like the traffic, live close to your work.
This is one of the most ignorant ivory tower comments I've seen. It's statements like this which give liberals a bad name.

1). How are people supposed to live "close" to work when:
-The price is so high
-Husband and wife work
-People change jobs
-The area is so poorly planned
Example: No mixed use, segregation of jobs and homes.
Example 2: The Montgomery green zone, great falls, Clifton, va.....all prime areas close to job centers which were down zoned pushing housing further out.

2). The "Green Zone" need not be sacrificed.....you can build a limited access road connecting NOVA to the ICC tolled, without any exits, and it'll be fine. Example: I-66 in Fauquier County, VA.


Your statement is just pure ignorance....it very much ignores the dynamics of the job market and housing market. Comments like this make me a self hating liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2015, 06:38 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA from Arlington, VA
2,770 posts, read 2,686,517 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
This is one of the most ignorant ivory tower comments I've seen. It's statements like this which give liberals a bad name.

1). How are people supposed to live "close" to work when:
-The price is so high
-Husband and wife work
-People change jobs
-The area is so poorly planned
Example: No mixed use, segregation of jobs and homes.
Example 2: The Montgomery green zone, great falls, Clifton, va.....all prime areas close to job centers which were down zoned pushing housing further out.

2). The "Green Zone" need not be sacrificed.....you can build a limited access road connecting NOVA to the ICC tolled, without any exits, and it'll be fine. Example: I-66 in Fauquier County, VA.


Your statement is just pure ignorance....it very much ignores the dynamics of the job market and housing market. Comments like this make me a self hating liberal.
Frankly, a lot of people want their McMansion with all the frills. God forbid someone has to live in a more modest house. It's fine if you have to have your picket fence SFH, but don't complain about traffic.

I could have like double the size of my apartment if I lived in Manassas or Woodbridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 06:43 AM
 
811 posts, read 1,736,865 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Frankly, a lot of people want their McMansion with all the frills. God forbid someone has to live in a more modest house. It's fine if you have to have your picket fence SFH, but don't complain about traffic.
I hate McMansions, cookie cutter subdivisions, as much as you BUT you are living in a bubble.
This is not Danville,mVA the is DC, the nations capital, a top ten market, there is not enough finite space to house and accommodate people, commerce, compactially enough for there to be just One crossing west of DC. That is the equivalent of trying to raise cattle on a 5 acre backyard. You don't seem to understand this.
If you wanted a small 2 lane highway inside the beltway and no outer Potomac crossing then you should have capped all population and job growth in 1970.

For the size of the DC region our planning and infrastructure is way too small and always will be thanks to stubborn, ivory tower nimbys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 08:32 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA from Arlington, VA
2,770 posts, read 2,686,517 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I hate McMansions, cookie cutter subdivisions, as much as you BUT you are living in a bubble.
This is not Danville,mVA the is DC, the nations capital, a top ten market, there is not enough finite space to house and accommodate people, commerce, compactially enough for there to be just One crossing west of DC. That is the equivalent of trying to raise cattle on a 5 acre backyard. You don't seem to understand this.
If you wanted a small 2 lane highway inside the beltway and no outer Potomac crossing then you should have capped all population and job growth in 1970.

For the size of the DC region our planning and infrastructure is way too small and always will be thanks to stubborn, ivory tower nimbys.
I didn't say anything about a highway.

Just saying in Murica, everyone has to have a McMansion because something more modest just won't do. And then people turn around and say "Arlington is too expensive."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,028 posts, read 19,859,929 times
Reputation: 7641
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I didn't say anything about a highway.

Just saying in Murica, everyone has to have a McMansion because something more modest just won't do. And then people turn around and say "Arlington is too expensive."
Everyone does not want a McMansion. Where do you get that idea from? The burbs are full of otoher kinds of housing too. Arlington IS too expensive, though, which is why the area keeps growing further and further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 09:33 AM
 
1,784 posts, read 2,983,056 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Everyone does not want a McMansion. Where do you get that idea from? The burbs are full of otoher kinds of housing too. Arlington IS too expensive, though, which is why the area keeps growing further and further out.
Yes, total false dichotomy.

There are massive amounts of apartments, townhouses, and the like throughout Fairfax and Loudoun. To say you want to either live close-in, or else have a big house further out is silly.


Demand for housing is a 2-way street here. People make their decisions based on the housing supply that's available, and guess what - last time I checked, there weren't 10 million housing units inside the Beltway.

When there's way more people than there are housing units for an area, it doesn't really matter what everyone's preferences are - the numbers don't add up. So people can talk all day about those "choosing" to live outside the Beltway but it's not a very compelling point.

You'd have to shift blame from (most of the) commuters to the counties's planners and zoning boards, etc. over the past 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 10:49 PM
 
997 posts, read 1,433,554 times
Reputation: 868
Yeah I have to agree, this is long overdue. I'm all for smart growth and pro-transit but I can understand the need for a second crossing. It definitely makes sense now since Route 28 in VA was converted to a freeway and the ICC was built in Maryland. If people are worried about sprawl, limit the number of exits and stick with your strict land-use plan and don't build McMansions. Also charge a congestion based toll (to help pay for the new road) and give incentives to HOV-3 traffic similar to the Express lanes on 95/495 to encourage people to carpool. It would definitely take traffic off of I-495 and the American Legion Bridge which is greatly needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 06:47 AM
 
2,185 posts, read 2,645,690 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I see jobs all the time in Montgomery County but no amount of money would be worth that commute. Hopefully they can do something, even something minor for the time being because from what I've seen, it's pretty awful.
Depends where you live. You don't have to live far away from the beltway. The commute is bearable from lots of places in VA.

I think another bridge would be very helpful to traffic, especially if it crossed the river in the Sterling/Leesburg area and into Potomac, MD. I think that has been proposed many times but MD side is strongly opposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top