U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:11 AM

23,506 posts, read 33,206,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom3 View Post
My point is made. So much hate! The folks who put them down talk about "well I don't like this and I don't like that" why can't they understand the same about people who tear down an old home to put up a new modern one? The ones that do that just don't like small kitchens, low ceilings, etc. To each his own right? You don't see those homeowners complaining about the older homes, making fun of the owners tastes, wishing they would all get torn down.

Also, my post was very general and I didn't say anything about what I personally like or want or don't like. It was saying that I understand why people would want a modern home to match their modern lifestyle. It's the ones that do the hating that don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be in a smaller older home. AND there are as many old homes with no charm and cheap fixings as there are new ones.

About the jealous part, I do know there are some who truly aren't jealous as much as I know there are some who are.
Honey, really reread your OP. You said you don't like the smaller spaces in an older home. You said you like the newer things in a McMansion. That is your right to have dislikes about older homes and likes about a newer home but stating them will give people reason to cross examine you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 10:36 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,602,011 times
Quote:
I've spent a lot of time reading through this forum because of our impending move to McLean and I can't tell you how many times I've heard people on here hating on, making fun of, or just complaining about "tacky McMansions" being built. I've looked at a lot of the older, or what some might call "charming", homes and they leave a lot to be desired! They just dont work well with today's lifestyle when there are much better options available? An original older home has typically lower ceilings, narrow hallways, closed off floor plans, inconvenient outdated kitchen layouts, small kitchens, claustrophobic family rooms, and just an all around old depressing feel. Newly built homes will have high ceilings, large halls, open airy floor plans, large kitchen put together nicely to be a central gathering place for the family, spacious family rooms and master bedrooms, I could go on and on. Who wouldn't want that?? Yes some can go overboard but many are very beautiful and tasteful and follow the current industry design trends and colors. They look nice when you drive by and give the areas they are in an "affluent" feel. Are people just secretly jealous or what??
Even if you're moving to McLean, you do not want to stake out a position that newer/bigger/more expensive home = good; older/smaller home = bad. It never ends well. You don't even want to "go on" about it, much less "go on and on" about it.

There is really no such thing as "today's lifestyle." There are just "lifestyles today" and, variety being the spice of life and all that, that often means different things to different people at different times of their lives.

If the first rule of "City Data Fight Club" is that you don't talk about Fight Club, the second rule is that you don't talk up new homes or talk down old ones. There are plenty of other forums where you can do that.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:36 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,675,163 times
You should drive down Pershing Drive in Arlington to see what beautiful old homes with character looks like. I don't know anyone who drives through my neighborhood and think it's anything but affluent.

Also, the houses rebuilt in Arlington tend to be built in the craftsmen style which is much more attractive IMO than most of the crap built in the burbs.

Of course, this is all our opinion and you don't have to agree. I could care less if you don't like the older homes. You're keeping my rent down so thanks.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 AM

170 posts, read 144,479 times
Almost everything about McMansions is what I don't want in a house. Foyers, high ceilings, too many rooms, too much space, useless things like media rooms, open floorplans, bizarre architectural styles. Most of the desire seems manufactured by builders, anyway. "Today's lifestyle," "modern lifestyle," that stuff is just made up.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:48 AM

23,506 posts, read 33,206,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
You should drive down Pershing Drive in Arlington to see what beautiful old homes with character looks like. I don't know anyone who drives through my neighborhood and think it's anything but affluent.

Also, the houses rebuilt in Arlington tend to be built in the craftsmen style which is much more attractive IMO than most of the crap built in the burbs.

Of course, this is all our opinion and you don't have to agree. I could care less if you don't like the older homes. You're keeping my rent down so thanks.
I drive down Pershing everyday for work. I'll take that neighborhood over a plastic subdivision in McLean any day.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:09 AM

944 posts, read 656,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffx rez View Post
Almost everything about McMansions is what I don't want in a house. Foyers, high ceilings, too many rooms, too much space, useless things like media rooms, open floorplans, bizarre architectural styles. Most of the desire seems manufactured by builders, anyway. "Today's lifestyle," "modern lifestyle," that stuff is just made up.

Yes yes yes. I grew up in a McMansion in a sea of McMansions. I don't own one now, and I actively avoided them when purchasing. The construction was awful. They cut corners wherever they could. The rooms were far apart and lacked intimacy. I had an an entire floor to myself. Rooms were filled with stuff we didn't need and rarely used. Garage was filled with the same. I don't like McMansions and don't like the associated lifestyle. I love my 1970s built townhouse. I'd love a 1950s built single family home of the same size too. I don't need 3000 sq to fill with junk.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:11 AM

230 posts, read 185,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

I hope you meant North Pershing Drive, because searching for Pershing Drive landed me in the Arlington cemetery.

But I love craftsman style houses and reasonably set back (and appropriately sized) from neighbors and the street (great city planning!). Gladly take that over the vinyl wrapped monstrosities in my neck of the woods anyway!

Old 10-22-2015, 11:13 AM

16 posts, read 17,208 times
My "agenda" was to just have a discussion. That's what this forum is for isn't it? I felt that there was an unfair bias against new large homes being built. Hateful, sarcastic, and rude comments are constantly being thrown out about these kinds of homes by the lovers of older homes with an "I have better taste" attitude.

How is it coming off that I'm upset about the comments? I'm a pretty reasonable person and this is what I expected to come out of a post with differing opinions. I was pointing out a trend I was seeing (bad mouthing these homes) and started a discussion about it.

For the record, my taste is more large modernized colonial

Old 10-22-2015, 11:22 AM

5,070 posts, read 8,602,011 times
Quote:
My "agenda" was to just have a discussion. That's what this forum is for isn't it? I felt that there was an unfair bias against new large homes being built. Hateful, sarcastic, and rude comments are constantly being thrown out about these kinds of homes by the lovers of older homes with an "I have better taste" attitude.

How is it coming off that I'm upset about the comments? I'm a pretty reasonable person and this is what I expected to come out of a post with differing opinions. I was pointing out a trend I was seeing (bad mouthing these homes) and started a discussion about it.

For the record, my taste is more large modernized colonial
It is not a new topic or one that lends itself to a polite discussion, even in a moderated forum.

You will get people without kids criticizing neighborhoods that appeal to families with kids, people making $50,000 or less criticizing areas where people making six and seven-figure salaries live, people whose livelihood depends upon brand-new construction criticizing neighborhoods with older homes, etc.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:24 AM

170 posts, read 144,479 times
McMansions are rightly degraded by many groups for their faults, including environmentalists, neighborhood associations, inspectors, architects, utility companies, planners, etc. It's not just this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia