U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:32 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,936,249 times

Advertisements

Saying "who wouldn't want that?" doesn't fit very well with "to each his own."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 02:08 PM

601 posts, read 441,737 times
For each person that derides McMansions, there is another who is looking for a new home, in a new community, and won't settle for older homes in older communities...I see a lot of dislike for older homes, as well.

Many McMansion subdivision builders raze mature trees indiscriminately and plop communities down awkwardly, and place houses on postage stamp lots. Infill McMansion developments nearer to me are not as bad because there is so little space to build them, and at most can build maybe 10 - 30 houses, but the ones further out with dozens/hundreds of homes...

I love my newly built, modestly-sized home that is aesthetically attractive and fits very well within the character of my older neighborhood. And not a single tree on my property had to be taken down to build the house. Best of all worlds, I think.

And people seem to think that they purchased a "custom designed home" (AKA got to pick 1 of 3 floor plans and got to choose the color of granite in their kitchen) when they get one of these McMansions.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:15 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,982,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom3 View Post
My point is made. So much hate! The folks who put them down talk about "well I don't like this and I don't like that" why can't they understand the same about people who tear down an old home to put up a new modern one? The ones that do that just don't like small kitchens, low ceilings, etc. To each his own right?
I hate McMansions. But I don't have a problem with every larger home that goes in to replace a small home. The problem is that the McMansions (by which I mean about 90-something percent of houses built in this area since 1995) are:

1) built with no identifiable style, with multiple gables poking up randomly and the garage out front to dominate the curb appearance, and made mostly of siding, with some fake stone here and there or a facade of brick;

2) are outsized for their lots and their neighborhoods, looming over not just the street but nearby backyards as well--which is not only a privacy problem but also contributes to flooding, since what used to be wooded land or lawn is now some barnlike extension; and

3) built after all the trees have been razed, so that nothing remains but dirt. Treeless neighborhoods are ugly to a lot of us. I don't want Arlington to look like Queens or South Boston in 20 years. And with no trees, you have no birds or squirrels. Big trees say "old money." Absence of trees says either "bad part of town" or "nouveau riche."

It doesn't mean there aren't newer houses I find attractive. They're almost always symmetrical in design, have old trees left on the lot, do not take up most of the lot they're on, and evoke a recognizable style, such as American Foursquare or Cape Cod. Here's one in Arlington, built about 2010. Here's another.

Nor does it mean those of us who live in older houses couldn't afford a new house if we wanted. I prefer older houses. If money were no object, I would still live in an old house--probably an even older one. I'd probably buy some farm in Loudoun with a 1700s farmhouse.

Quote:
...The ones that do that just don't like small kitchens, low ceilings, etc. To each his own right? You don't see those homeowners complaining about the older homes...It was saying that I understand why people would want a modern home to match their modern lifestyle.
This is why many of us update or expand our kitchens and bathrooms--using fixtures and materials that still match the rest of the house.

I really don't think anyone is jealous of a mcMansion, because they're not hard to afford. You can buy one in Stafford for what, $450-500K? If someone can't afford that, they probably can't afford most townhouses or condos in the DC area, either.

But even when it comes to fieldstone farmhouses, I'm not jealous of whoever owns them; I admire those (affluent) people for preserving something that's part of our national heritage and is pleasing to look at. And part of me aspires to do as they're doing someday.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-22-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 08:24 PM

301 posts, read 588,566 times
Quote:
I've spent a lot of time reading through this forum because of our impending move to McLean and I can't tell you how many times I've heard people on here hating on, making fun of, or just complaining about "tacky McMansions" being built. I've looked at a lot of the older, or what some might call "charming", homes and they leave a lot to be desired! They just dont work well with today's lifestyle when there are much better options available? An original older home has typically lower ceilings, narrow hallways, closed off floor plans, inconvenient outdated kitchen layouts, small kitchens, claustrophobic family rooms, and just an all around old depressing feel. Newly built homes will have high ceilings, large halls, open airy floor plans, large kitchen put together nicely to be a central gathering place for the family, spacious family rooms and master bedrooms, I could go on and on. Who wouldn't want that?? Yes some can go overboard but many are very beautiful and tasteful and follow the current industry design trends and colors. They look nice when you drive by and give the areas they are in an "affluent" feel. Are people just secretly jealous or what??
I guess I'm in the minority but I like McMansions over older homes for many of the reasons you list. I used to live in the North Arlington neighborhood by O'Connell HS in those old, all-brick ramblers. I really enjoyed my time there. However, in my opinion, they are no better or more special than McMansions. I personally care more about the interior of a home (open floor plan, more space, more practical, etc.) than I do about the history or character of a home.

I happen to now own a home with a brick front and vinyl siding with similar looking homes in my neighborhood which most people here seem to hate; however, I have no regrets. I like the tall ceilings, tall windows, open floor plan, more space, dual zone heating/cooling, etc...I personally love my home and it's not b/c it's more "affluent." Most of the old split levels in Arlington or McLean are worth more than my home.

Last edited by yolli71; 10-22-2015 at 08:48 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 01:56 AM

6,593 posts, read 10,906,996 times
Quote:
I've spent a lot of time reading through this forum because of our impending move to McLean and I can't tell you how many times I've heard people on here hating on, making fun of, or just complaining about "tacky McMansions" being built. I've looked at a lot of the older, or what some might call "charming", homes and they leave a lot to be desired! They just dont work well with today's lifestyle when there are much better options available? An original older home has typically lower ceilings, narrow hallways, closed off floor plans, inconvenient outdated kitchen layouts, small kitchens, claustrophobic family rooms, and just an all around old depressing feel. Newly built homes will have high ceilings, large halls, open airy floor plans, large kitchen put together nicely to be a central gathering place for the family, spacious family rooms and master bedrooms, I could go on and on. Who wouldn't want that?? Yes some can go overboard but many are very beautiful and tasteful and follow the current industry design trends and colors. They look nice when you drive by and give the areas they are in an "affluent" feel. Are people just secretly jealous or what??

I can feel a touch of "uppity" in your posting. I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish by posting this?

Old 10-23-2015, 02:02 AM

4,541 posts, read 866,542 times
I like my 3400 sf and 30 ft ceilings thank you, people are just jealous. I had a 15 foot Christmas tree last year and it was just amazing. Wouldn't give up my house for anything.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:44 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,406,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
I like my 3400 sf and 30 ft ceilings thank you, people are just jealous. I had a 15 foot Christmas tree last year and it was just amazing. Wouldn't give up my house for anything.
I don't understand this mentality. If someone has a different preference when it comes to style/type of a home, it doesn't mean they are jealous.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,271,209 times
Quote:

I agree with you and many of the other posters - made to order houses with modern amenities are very appealing. However, unless your funded to buy and do a teardown those type of home don't exist for a reasonable price (sub 1M) in Mclean/Tysons/Arlington.

Personally, I cannot take 1 + hour commute from Ashburn, Broadlands, Potomac Falls, etc so I live with my dark house, low ceilings, small kitchen and tiny shower along with my 20 minute commute.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:20 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Since many of the older homes have the same or higher price tags as your McMansion, by definition the purchasers can afford it, so they can't be "jealous." If they had lusted after your house when it was on the market, one of them would have bought it.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:08 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,801,413 times
I also don't like the neighborhoods McMansions tend to be end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia