U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,599 times

Advertisements

Hey!

Relocating for a job to Gainesville, VA. Single, in my early 20's.

I have lived downtown in 2 different cities in Southwest Virginia. One was an apartment right above that town's Main Street. and at the other I had a house a couple blocks off Main Street that had street and alley access. Both were walkable to corner stores, bars, gym, etc..

Simply put, I don't want that to change.

I understand NOVA has a lot of walk-able areas but not so much farther out. (From looking on Google Earth I could spot a few fake down-towns in Gainesville but didn't see any real cultural core in the immediate Gainesville area...nice try PW county ).

I wanted to get a good sense of comparisons between Warrenton, Manassas, and Leesburg in terms of downtown atmosphere (or other towns?). Walk-ability(to what?), Live music, youthfulness, craft breweries, outdoor culture are maybe the kind of indicators I'm looking for.

Right now I just want a sense of the area outside of living costs/ roomate requirements (I will devote more $ to live in a more vibrant area). I just want to get a perspective on the place itself. I am gay but am not partial to any sort of gay community unless you think that might be important for some geographic/demographic reason.

****The ONLY exception to walkable area would be a rental property backing to the Occoquan River, Goose Creek etc..not sure if that's really a think up there tho.

Thanks to everyone who responds! Remember...... VA is for loverz, always.

-Davis53
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:12 PM

11,214 posts, read 19,608,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis53 View Post
I wanted to get a good sense of comparisons between Warrenton, Manassas, and Leesburg in terms of downtown atmosphere (or other towns?). Walk-ability(to what?), Live music, youthfulness, craft breweries, outdoor culture are maybe the kind of indicators I'm looking for.
I'm not currently a resident, but I worked in NoVa for many years. I will rate the three towns on your criteria as follows: 1. Leesburg 2. Manassas 3. Warrenton.

I believe Leesburg is the densest downtown and the most visually attractive. But it has only one brew-pub. I believe Leesburg has live music places, but I am not in touch with the music scene enough to judge what would be attractive to a younger crowd.

Manassas has a half-dozen sports bars. The one brew-pub looks good. It appears smaller than Leesburg.

Warrenton does not seem anywhere near as lively as the other two, and no brew-pub nearby.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:43 AM

6,544 posts, read 10,813,918 times
I would go with Old Town Manassas if you're working in Gainesville. Warrenton is nice enough but Rt 29 is a serious PITA to travel on and Manassas to Gainesville is an easier commute. Leesburg is a good drive to Gainesville and is a nice downtown. I lived very close to Old Town Manassas since the early 80's and only very recently moved. There is always something happening in Old Town Manassas with many festivals, parades and so on. There are a few good bars/restaurants to include a new Seafood place that seems to be getting good reviews.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:30 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,675,924 times
Definitely Old Town Manassas. Leesburg is nice but too far.

Very walkable with a bunch of nice restaurants and bars in Old Town Manassas. BadWolf and Heritage Breweries have also recently opened in Manassas and have very good reviews. My friend raves about BadWolf.

Only downside is Manassas doesn't really have a lot of young people so going to a bar in Manassas usually is not the most exciting.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:40 AM

336 posts, read 411,511 times
Reston Town Center has most of what you are looking for but the price is high.

The Village of Leesburg (where Wegmans is) is also really nice and new.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,723,617 times
Northern VA is basically a lot of suburban sprawl and not much in the way of towns as you're finding. Given your work location, I would strongly urge you to try Manassas for a year, discover what you like and don't like about different areas, test out what your commuting tolerance might be, etc. I think Warrenton would be way to sleepy to even consider even if the commute was tolerable. Leesburg (at least too me) wouldn't even be a consideration because of the commute/cost involved.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:09 AM

427 posts, read 972,183 times
Does it have to have that quaint old downtown vibe? If not, maybe some of those new apartments over at Tysons -- the ones right by the new plaza -- would fit the bill. Super easy Metro access, live music seemingly all the time, restaurants, gyms, lots of shopping, a new Wegmans planned... Heck, I'd move there if we didn't have three little kids!

If you need the quaint old town vibe, then I'll add another vote for Manassas.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:00 AM

Thank you all!

I lived outside of Herndon growing up so am somewhat familiar with the changes at Tysons, Reston etc.. but never really had any friends at that time in the outer suburbs (places I drove through rather then drove to mostly) and have been out of the area for 5 + years. A lot has changed in that time up there so I wanted a fresh perspective.

Will be back in area over Thanksgiving, so will be checking out areas then. Thanks again!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:02 AM

@themommy

not so much "quaint" as in "funky" -- Richmond-esque....

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:05 AM

@middlin

What about going from Leesburg to Gainesville taking 15? Seems like it bypasses a lot of the sprawl...maybe?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or