Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 17,132 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I recently accepted a new position in Reston and I'm trying to determine the best place to live. I'm moving from Gettysburg, PA so this move is pretty significant. I understand the cost of living is significantly higher and that traffic is pure hell. I would like to keep my maximum commute time under 1 hour. I would like to spend less than $450k. A rural, single family home with 4 bedrooms and as much land as possible is my preference. I believe Charles Town and Harpers Ferry are a touch outside my maximum drive time. I seem to be zeroing in on the Purcellville area. However, the closer to Reston the better. Are there any nice, safe areas, with a "reasonable" cost of living even closer to Reston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:03 AM

9,864 posts, read 14,033,524 times
It will be tough to find in your price range, but you may be able to find something in your price range in Sterling, north of Rt 7. This is the Cascades/ Countryside/ Potomac Falls area. The houses, though, will be older and definitely need more work than those you will find in Purcellville.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:37 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,231,198 times
How about considering renting a townhouse in Reston to see if a different way of life might be suitable for your family. A way a life that includes nearly no commute; just think of all the things you can do with an extra 2 hours a day. In Reston we share common space rather than owning it individually.

2006 CHADDS FORD DR, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8723369 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11613 HUNTERS GREEN CT, RESTON, VA | MLS FX9502662 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1659 CEDAR HOLLOW WAY, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8701304 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11116 FOREST EDGE DR, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8747189 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1802 N. SHORE CT, RESTON, VA | MLS FX9512404 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 PM

313 posts, read 549,904 times
OP,

I second the suggestion for renting just to see if you like it seeing as how you're used to something else. The townhomes jfromreston listed all will give you the best commute possible. If you're set on owning land, I'd also consider looking out in the Gainesville area.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:36 PM

274 posts, read 346,804 times
Unfortunately you really can not get substantial land and house for $450k in the Gainesville area. You will have to look more in Nokesville or Warrenton. Which is just a few minutes outside of Gainesville.

Here are a few choices

6919 KEITH MEADOWS CT, WARRENTON, VA | MLS FQ8581262 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

8454 TURKEY RUN DR, WARRENTON, VA | MLS FQ8601661 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

14800 OWLS NEST RD, NOKESVILLE, VA | MLS PW8743451 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 11-07-2015, 07:10 AM

8 posts, read 17,132 times
Thanks for all the information everyone. Another thing I am open to doing would be to buy a "fixer upper". I'm pretty handy. I had the idea of buying a house in a desirable area with a little bit of land. If I fix it up nice it could be worth alot more in several years. Similar to the ones below. I suspect, most people in the area are looking for a new, cookie cutter, no problem type house and aren't open to this type of thing. Is this true or am I totally off the mark?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]http://www.landwatch.com/Loudoun-County-Virginia-House-for-sale/pid/322694582[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]http://www.landwatch.com/Loudoun-County-Virginia-House-for-sale/pid/320989351[/SIZE]

I was also throwing around the idea of approaching various farmers and try to buy a small portion of their property. If I had 50k or 100k cash in hand and did all the leg work to divide the land maybe one of them would bite. Once I had the land, I know of several builders from PA that would come down to build the new house. I'm sure many people have also thought of this approach. Does anyone have any experience going down this route?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 11-07-2015, 08:20 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,231,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappie_Rick View Post
I was also throwing around the idea of approaching various farmers and try to buy a small portion of their property. If I had 50k or 100k cash in hand and did all the leg work to divide the land maybe one of them would bite. Once I had the land, I know of several builders from PA that would come down to build the new house. I'm sure many people have also thought of this approach. Does anyone have any experience going down this route?
Loudoun County put restrictions in place for the rural parts of the county a few years ago that makes this approach very difficult by requiring the spin off lot size to be very large. Not sure of the exact details - but do your research.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:41 AM

13,351 posts, read 26,870,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappie_Rick View Post
If I fix it up nice it could be worth alot more in several years. Similar to the ones below. I suspect, most people in the area are looking for a new, cookie cutter, no problem type house and aren't open to this type of thing.
I suspect most people would prefer a new, no-problem home over a renovated house. If it would make you happy to renovate, go for it. The two houses in Leesburg are not bad, but not everyone is looking for a larger lot out in the country. It is impossible to change some things like low ceilings. It is also expensive to install ducting if the house does not have it, so I'd avoid anyplace with electric baseboard heat.

I think the trend among younger buyers is to live in an urban, walkable area, so don't expect to make a killing on your renovation.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:53 PM

274 posts, read 346,804 times
What type of financing are you planning on doing? Some older homes are sold "As Is" which could affect your ability for certain financing. If you got a fixer upper, you may be able to do a 203K though?

Old 11-07-2015, 02:59 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,253 posts, read 4,290,835 times
You can find a decent home in a nice neighborhood in either Sterling or Herndon for your budget. My wife and I bought in Herndon for $440,000 for a 4 bedroom and 3 bath. We are near near 7 and I would love a commute to Reston. It takes me between 45 minutes to an hour for my commute into Old Town Alexandria. You would have a 20 minute commute at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia