Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,517,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Good explanation really. What kills us that are beyond that 15-25 Mile proximity is that NOVA "Votes" like DC too. Basically speaking Virginia is very different from that area and is very Red. The Blue votes pull us down a little too much, almost wishing that DC would annex it, so we could get back what we are used to. Eastern Virginia pulls us down too, but it's NOVA that makes the biggest difference. There is a big beautiful state out there, other than those metro areas...
You're welcome for our tax money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 07:54 AM

490 posts, read 648,212 times
Best way to appreciate NOVA? Move out, and come visit on occasion.

Otherwise, it is what it is. Do what I'm doing and start making a plan B, C, and D to start figuring out an escape plan.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:26 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,394,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
You're welcome for our tax money.

With all due respect, we could do without it.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:30 AM

26,691 posts, read 41,633,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
With all due respect, we could do without it.
Could you send it to Hampton Roads if y'all don't want it? Think it is far past time to widen I-64 from NN to Williamsburg.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:43 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,197,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAnite View Post
POINTLESS RANT:

I've lived in NoVa for about a year and am completely frustrated with the area. Even the cheapest studio apartment is well out of reach for most working people. You work your 50 hour week and sit in traffic for two hours a each day and what the heck do you get for your effort?

- A rented room in another person's house
- no personal life because the culture here is work work work
- The tiny amount of money you're able to save despite NoVa's best efforts to take it from you

And if you really grind it out and try to make a life here you get what?

- A 450k townhouse
- Friendly Neighbors who will smile to your face.... and report you to the HOA if you paint your door the wrong color

END POINTLESS RANT

what am I missing here? I'm sure this area has fantastic things about it. I just probably have not seen them because of all the moping and complaining
I though most of this would have been known prior to moving to Nova?

That said, I like it up here, more so than I ever thought I would.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 AM

2,257 posts, read 2,382,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Could you send it to Hampton Roads if y'all don't want it? Think it is far past time to widen I-64 from NN to Williamsburg.
I was just in Norfolk this past weekend, HOW 64 has not been widened yet is beyond my understanding

Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,307,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAnite View Post
POINTLESS RANT:

I've lived in NoVa for about a year and am completely frustrated with the area. Even the cheapest studio apartment is well out of reach for most working people. You work your 50 hour week and sit in traffic for two hours a each day and what the heck do you get for your effort?

- A rented room in another person's house
- no personal life because the culture here is work work work
- The tiny amount of money you're able to save despite NoVa's best efforts to take it from you

And if you really grind it out and try to make a life here you get what?

- A 450k townhouse
- Friendly Neighbors who will smile to your face.... and report you to the HOA if you paint your door the wrong color

END POINTLESS RANT

what am I missing here? I'm sure this area has fantastic things about it. I just probably have not seen them because of all the moping and complaining
I agree cost of living is high and traffic is bad. I've grown up here so maybe I just don't know any better but I like it. My wife moved here from North Carolina and she likes it and never wants to go back to NC. Coincidentally we live in a 450k townhouse haha. I don't really mind because we love the area we live in(Vienna) and would rather have a TH there than a big house and crappy commute somewhere else, and I've come to the realization that we don't need 4000 sq. feet anyways. Our neighbors are really nice. This area isn't for everybody but generally the job market is great and people are paid well which offsets a lot of the high COL.

In terms of what this area has that we like :

- great job market
- great schools for our kids
- lots of things to do like restaurants, wineries, breweries, museums, parks, downtown DC, etc
- fairly close proximity to beaches, mountains, lakes. A lot of things within 2-3 hour drive.

Hopefully you figure out how to make it a more enjoyable place to live or are able to relocate somewhere that is. Good luck

Old 11-05-2015, 09:35 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,741,003 times
Sometimes you have to find just the right spot in the metro area for you. When I first moved to the DC area in outer Silver Spring (from the Philadelphia area) I was not particularly happy with the city overall. I liked the nightlife of the city but the whole area felt too full of sprawl and lacked a sense of community that I was used to in Pennsylvania. Also, I felt like I was spending a lot of time commuting to and from work. I ended up moving to much closer-in Bethesda and liked it so much more! I liked the walkable downtown, being able to get to work more quickly and it just felt like a better match to my personality and lifestyle at the time. After getting married, I moved to Vienna and immediately loved it. Again, it matched my lifestyle at the time and was a great fit. When I had to move away about 4 years ago, I was so sad to be leaving.

So my suggestion to you is to look around and see if there isn't somewhere that would be a better fit for you - like someone suggested - living closer in - in an older building, having more walkability, with less time spent commuting, you might find that you like it a lot better. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2015, 09:43 AM

808 posts, read 1,676,835 times
I wish Northern VA could split from the rest of Virginia so it can go the way of West VA. Rural sticks full of backwoods and closed minded people.

That said, I also don't know if I can stick it out in the area. I was born and raised here, and I mean, I like it, but at the same time I hate it. It is insanely expensive, and it's so, so, so hard to make friends.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:51 AM

26,691 posts, read 41,633,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I was just in Norfolk this past weekend, HOW 64 has not been widened yet is beyond my understanding
I heard one argument in the past that the widening was not needed because BRAC took jobs away from Ft Monroe in Hampton. I kindly informed them that those jobs by and large went to Ft Eustis.....in nearby Newport News, putting MORE cars on the section of I-64 that needs widening the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia