Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 14,774 times

Advertisements

I am a graduate student (Marymount) looking for rentals in ARlington, Alexandria area (maybe DC if close). I have come across apartments accepting housing income vouchers????(how low does that income really go ???) should I stay away from those apartments? or are they okay for single female 26, no car? i want to be close to the metro (orange if possible but I'm okay with switching trains) but i need something under $1000 per month (school loans-Blah!!) so I am looking at studios and 1 bedrooms. any ideas? thoughts? I am very self sufficient and active so I'm not really too worried about taking care of myself- safety wise but I don't want to live in a bad neighborhood. Mom would keel over with fear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:01 AM

621 posts, read 3,196,795 times
I've never heard of housing vouchers, but I'm not sure I would not want to live alone in a place that takes them. Not that low-income families would cause much problems, but you will have all other kinds of people that probably will be shady. I'm going to recommend a place, but I don't know how far away it is from the metro. Southern Towers in Alexandria is safe and they have pretty good prices. When I was looking they had studios under $1000 and I believe the rent includes some utilities. Now, it's not the best apt, but it is decent. It also has many different small shops on the premises. It does have a lot of different ethnicities there, so if that bothers you, it definitely is not the place for you.
I just talked to a girl I work with and she has lived there 6 years and says she has always felt safe. She lives alone and she actually says they pay for all the utilities. Also, the main door you have to have a key/code to get in and if you don't there is a front desk there who "mans" it 24 hr a day. They have security men that drive around the complex (3 buildings). Well I hope you find what you're looking for.

Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:07 AM

449 posts, read 1,386,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutUF View Post
I am a graduate student (Marymount) looking for rentals in ARlington, Alexandria area (maybe DC if close). I have come across apartments accepting housing income vouchers????(how low does that income really go ???) should I stay away from those apartments? or are they okay for single female 26, no car? i want to be close to the metro (orange if possible but I'm okay with switching trains) but i need something under $1000 per month (school loans-Blah!!) so I am looking at studios and 1 bedrooms. any ideas? thoughts? I am very self sufficient and active so I'm not really too worried about taking care of myself- safety wise but I don't want to live in a bad neighborhood. Mom would keel over with fear!
I am not sure if this is the same program, but there is something called Section 8 Rental Housing Vouchers.
Section 8 Rental Housing Vouchers (http://mhawestchester.org/benefits/section8.asp - broken link)

Take a look and see if this is something you wish to pursue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia