Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 01:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,202 times

Advertisements

Hello,

so...I am moving from F-burg to Northern Virginia.I currently have an up to date registration tag on my plate. Will I need an emissions check? (the emissions check on my car expired on earlier this year) Also, i read somewhere that you needed to return your old decals from your previous county back to them and pick up new ones ? How is this done? What a pain in the butt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 01:45 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
What county are you moving into? In Prince William, we no longer have the county decal. If we move, we just notify them online. I assume that whatever county you move into, you can notify them online. When you put your change of address in with the DMV, you should be able to get information on the emissions and when it will be due.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
If you are living in a jurisdiction where emissions testing is not required (such as F-burg), then your vehicle has never been emissions tested.

When you move to a jurisdiction where emissions testing is required (FFX, Arlington, etc), the emissions will be required when your license plates come up for renewal (and every TWO years thereafter). The SAFETY inspection is an annual requirement statewide and has nothing to do with the emissions, plate renewal, etc.

If it were I, I would check into renewing your plates early while still living in F-burg....for as long as possible, thus putting off the emissions test for as long as possible. There are restrictions as to how early one can renew plates, however.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:02 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Fredericksburg doesn't require it? Stafford does.

Although you didn't mention which county, you will definitely need an emissions test... Pretty much all the counties in NoVa require them. I would get it done when you get a chance, only because it can be a PITA if you work M-F and on the weekends, at least when I've got it done in the past, the lines are super long but I'm also incredibly impatient.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Fredericksburg doesn't require it? Stafford does.

Although you didn't mention which county, you will definitely need an emissions test... Pretty much all the counties in NoVa require them. I would get it done when you get a chance, only because it can be a PITA if you work M-F and on the weekends, at least when I've got it done in the past, the lines are super long but I'm also incredibly impatient.

The emissions test is only a factor when renewing the license plates.

If the OP has, say...18 months remaining on his/her plates, then there is no need to get it done before then.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:12 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The emissions test is only a factor when renewing the license plates.

If the OP has, say...18 months remaining on his/her plates, then there is no need to get it done before then.
Oh yeah, I know.

I was assuming the OP's tags were expiring soon or expiring not too long after the move.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:54 AM

thanks everyone for the replies! im moving to fairfax county.... anyone know how i can get the county decals online? maybe the dmv website?

Old 11-08-2015, 05:22 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowussgo7035 View Post
thanks everyone for the replies! im moving to fairfax county.... anyone know how i can get the county decals online? maybe the dmv website?
No decals required in FFX County. You just need to register the car with the Department of Taxation within 60 days of moving.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/reg...ionpreface.htm

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dtavehicles/Register.aspx

Old 11-10-2015, 12:43 AM

what about other counties (i.e. loudoun, arlington, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
No decals required in FFX County. You just need to register the car with the Department of Taxation within 60 days of moving.

Vehicle Registration Information*- Fairfax County, Virginia

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dtavehicles/Register.aspx

Old 11-10-2015, 05:40 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowussgo7035 View Post
what about other counties (i.e. loudoun, arlington, etc.)
Just google "vehicle decals *county, state*" and you'll have your answers.

For instance, here is information on Arlington County's requirements.

https://taxes.arlingtonva.us/vehicle...ration-decals/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia