Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:15 AM

49 posts, read 92,936 times

Advertisements

Newbie to northern Virginia here and was hoping some of you kind folks would offer some advice about Dulles Airport (*frequent traveler-just never flew out of Dulles before).

I have a early Saturday morning flight out of Dulles (zone 4). I live in Leesburg, VA. Since I've never been to Dulles before, any advice about how early I should arrive, parking, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 11:19 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
Traffic won't be an issue at all.

If you're not checking bags, I would give myself 1.5 hours. If you are checking bags, 2ish. The economy lot is way cheaper than daily garages and a bus comes around like every 10 minutes. I didn't find it to be that inconvenient at all.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:39 PM

147 posts, read 349,977 times
Two hours should give you plenty of time. There are several parking options, but the long term lots are the cheapest. If you park in one of the garages, you can walk to the terminal instead of waiting for the economy lot shuttle bus.

Most airlines have their check-in counters in the main terminal building. You may want to check at which end of the building your airline's desk is located to limit the amount of walking you'll need to do. After check in you'll head downstairs to the security check points. After you get through security, you'll head to the train that will take you to your terminal.

Everything is well marked, and there are lots of people to ask for help if you need it.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:08 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Depending on how long you'll be away taking a Uber or taxi may be cheaper and faster.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 PM

721 posts, read 1,210,663 times
Keep in mind you may need to take a shuttle inside the airport to get to the gate A, B, C, D, etc. Plan for 30 minutes extra.

Another factor to consider is if you have someone who gives you a ride to the airport; otherwise plan for 30 minutes extra to park and take a shuttle bus.

The security line is relatively fast.

Normally without a ride - If it's domestic flight, plan to arrive 2 hours ahead of time; if it's international, be at the airport 2.5 hours ahead.

With a ride to get you to the door, it's 1.5 hours for domestic and 2 hours for international, respectively.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:26 PM

53 posts, read 81,796 times
I've found the problem with the economy lot is catching a shuttle back to the lot, depending on the arrival tiime. I once waited an hour for a ride to the gold lot - I stopped multiple empty buses going to the other lots, only to be told they could only go to the designated area.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:38 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdoor View Post
I've found the problem with the economy lot is catching a shuttle back to the lot, depending on the arrival tiime. I once waited an hour for a ride to the gold lot - I stopped multiple empty buses going to the other lots, only to be told they could only go to the designated area.
I refuse to use the economy lots for this reason. The buses often times disappear.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:38 AM

857 posts, read 843,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdoor View Post

Kinda the same issue I have had flying out of Regan when parking in economy lot. Thanks, but no thanks. Sorry, no input on Dulles, as I try to avoid that airport at all costs, being much much closer to Regan.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:15 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,485 times
valet right out front, worth it if you're only going to be gone a couple days.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:17 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Depending on how long you'll be away taking a Uber or taxi may be cheaper and faster.
I second this. I have had bad experiences with the economy lots at Dulles. On Sunday the airport should be very slow. I mostly paid for the close lots - so I could walk to the terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: