Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Virginia: safe area, great schools, rental, condo, mortgage.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times

Advertisements

Oh, it was a scandal on the front page of the Washington Post last September, but the people responsible got re-elected anyhow:

Some in Fairfax Public Housing Make Six Figures

The article is archived now so I can't post it but this shows the summary. I had heard about this even earlier from community activists. I don't remember the details but some people who make high salaries get to stay in housing that is designed as "workforce housing" or low-income housing.

You can do a google search on "workforce housing Fairfax County" or similar language and find some information. Here's an example of one program that sounds like it might apply for your situation:

NACo | Magnet Housing program helps employees live in county they serve (http://www.naco.org/Template.cfm?Section=housing&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=21437 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:59 PM

28 posts, read 93,548 times
Huh. Edited because I actually searched for things.

There are currently 3 rental properties available in fairfax for no more than 1100 a month that have 2+ bedrooms. This is just searching ________, so they might not be 100% reliable, but I just searched for curiosity.

There's an actual HOUSE for rent in Chantilly for under 1k. There's a townhouse in a decent but sterotypically low income area of Centreville for 1,050. There's a Reston smallish apartment for $1100 even.

I'd seriously suggest looking for people in who are having to rent their condos/townhouses out. Some friends of mine were renting a 2br/1.5 bath condo (with another 'den' room they also used for a bedroom) in Centreville for 1300/mo last year. I work in an office where the starting salary is below 30k, and we have a large number of people getting their first jobs here, so I know a lot about lower cost housing.

I myself was looking for 2br condos to rent last year, and found a good number in the 1400-1600 range, especially in the Centreville area (I eventually ended up not leaving my apartment), and I was looking EXCLUSIVELY at places with two full baths and over 1000sq ft. Note also that this was at the peak of housing prices, so there may be bigger bargains available now. While people may say "the area won't be very clean or safe" it really depends on where you are used to. I'd rate most of the less expensive neighborhoods as 'will want to lock your door at night/when you are not home, might not want to go for walks alone at midnight' kind of neighborhoods, but nothing really dangerous. The problem is that a LOT of Fairfax County is very very clean, bright, and sterile, so people sometimes have very high expectations.

Herndon and Centreville are the most affordable areas around here, so I'd suggest looking at them. Depending where in fairfax county your husband will actually be stationed, Manassas may be a far lower cost alternative, but it can also be a hell commute and some parts are substantially more dangerous than surrounding areas.

Honestly, I think the current real estate situation may actually help you. I know many people who are moving who are opting to rent out their house or condo rather than take crippling losses with a sale. I still think you might have to be willing to go to about 12-1300 to get something you would actually consider 'nice," but I think there's at least a decent chance you'll be able to scrounge something on that budget.

EDIT:
Something rather insane here that makes it hard for me to believe that it would be impossible to obtain housing for under 1k/mo.

There is currently a 2br/1.5 bath townhouse for sale in Herndon (which is in FFX county) for 140k. That would be a monthly mortgage payment with 0 down at 7% interest of less than 1k. I'm not using that as a recommendation to buy/claiming that someone could get a 0 down loan or anything of the sort, however they say that rental rates are influenced by mortgage rates, and that's a 'good sign'.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-06-2008 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: sorry, advertising RE sites not allowed.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM

8 posts, read 41,553 times
Most areas in Northern Virginia have some section 8 (subsidized housing) program. These apartments are sometimes in really nice areas. You might want to look up the info online. I did a little looking and found that Fairfax county does not currently have a waiting list to get in.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:36 PM

25 posts, read 95,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariadel View Post
Huh. Edited because I actually searched for things.

There are currently 3 rental properties available in fairfax for no more than 1100 a month that have 2+ bedrooms. This is just searching ________, so they might not be 100% reliable, but I just searched for curiosity.

There's an actual HOUSE for rent in Chantilly for under 1k. There's a townhouse in a decent but sterotypically low income area of Centreville for 1,050. There's a Reston smallish apartment for $1100 even.

I'd seriously suggest looking for people in who are having to rent their condos/townhouses out. Some friends of mine were renting a 2br/1.5 bath condo (with another 'den' room they also used for a bedroom) in Centreville for 1300/mo last year. I work in an office where the starting salary is below 30k, and we have a large number of people getting their first jobs here, so I know a lot about lower cost housing.

I myself was looking for 2br condos to rent last year, and found a good number in the 1400-1600 range, especially in the Centreville area (I eventually ended up not leaving my apartment), and I was looking EXCLUSIVELY at places with two full baths and over 1000sq ft. Note also that this was at the peak of housing prices, so there may be bigger bargains available now. While people may say "the area won't be very clean or safe" it really depends on where you are used to. I'd rate most of the less expensive neighborhoods as 'will want to lock your door at night/when you are not home, might not want to go for walks alone at midnight' kind of neighborhoods, but nothing really dangerous. The problem is that a LOT of Fairfax County is very very clean, bright, and sterile, so people sometimes have very high expectations.

Herndon and Centreville are the most affordable areas around here, so I'd suggest looking at them. Depending where in fairfax county your husband will actually be stationed, Manassas may be a far lower cost alternative, but it can also be a hell commute and some parts are substantially more dangerous than surrounding areas.

Honestly, I think the current real estate situation may actually help you. I know many people who are moving who are opting to rent out their house or condo rather than take crippling losses with a sale. I still think you might have to be willing to go to about 12-1300 to get something you would actually consider 'nice," but I think there's at least a decent chance you'll be able to scrounge something on that budget.

EDIT:
Something rather insane here that makes it hard for me to believe that it would be impossible to obtain housing for under 1k/mo.

There is currently a 2br/1.5 bath townhouse for sale in Herndon (which is in FFX county) for 140k. That would be a monthly mortgage payment with 0 down at 7% interest of less than 1k. I'm not using that as a recommendation to buy/claiming that someone could get a 0 down loan or anything of the sort, however they say that rental rates are influenced by mortgage rates, and that's a 'good sign'.
Thank you very much for the info. We are applying for the Magnet program and hope to get in. This will allow is to live within Fairfax for a reasonable rent for 2 years. That will give us plenty of time to get to know the surrounding areas and school systems in where to move after the lease will be up. Otherwise we will have to bit the bullet and pay a bit more than we expected. It's just unfortunate that these days the real estate goes up which raises the rents yet it seems that your salary does not match the inflation.....funny... It's actually upsetting. This is why my husban and I feel we never are able to get ahead...you are always paying such high rent that it's impossible to save money for a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia