Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:48 PM

239 posts, read 280,919 times

Advertisements

Seems like you've been here about a month. To make a decision such as buying a house shouldn't be done with such haste. Rent for a year to figure out what the commuting is like in this area. In your case, as close to work as possible is a good idea. LA is very different from Ashburn, VA and it may take sometime getting used to.

For what it's worth, I had a coworker commute from Winchester to Ashburn. Quit after 2 years because the commute was so terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 11:57 AM

91 posts, read 129,887 times
I live in Winchester and love it, but I work here as well. I would hate to drive to Reston each day though. Too far and too much traffic.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:14 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Prior to relocating out of Northern Virginia I lived in Reston and worked in McLean. Considering I grew up in an old area of PA with a lot of history I didn't like the newer suburban atmosphere of the region and quickly grew homesick. I toyed briefly with the notion of moving to Winchester and then power-commuting daily back into McLean. I did a dry-run one morning on a weekday off (taking Route 7 instead of the Toll Road because I didn't have the money), and it was brutal. I knew then that if I wanted to live in an older walkable neighborhood that was within my budget and not a hassle of a commute that I needed to move out of the region entirely.

Winchester is quite lovely. The architecture is stunning; there are numerous shopping/dining options; and the people just seemed friendlier than the ones I met in and around Reston/McLean. We drive to the Outer Banks from Pittsburgh bi-annually, and we always make it a point to stop in Winchester on the way down. I just don't think it's feasible to commute daily from Winchester to the Dulles Tech Corridor.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I know you say this isn't an issue, but your previous posts says your husband's job is in Reston. If he is commuting to Reston, this will be an issue. (Possibly something he can live with, but a huge issue.)
Agree with spencer. Also consider whether his job will be in Reston forever. What if he decides to change jobs. Options may be very limited living out in Winchester. Options are somewhat limited in Ashburn too but it is closer to job centers. I'm one of those people who despises a long commute, so I'd much rather give up house to be closer to work. But to each their own. Good luck w whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia