Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 02:29 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Sumers View Post
Rent in DC.
For what they want they wouldn't be able to afford DC.

Likewise downtown Silver Spring is not sketchy, but they would not be able to afford it considering their budget. I don't think they know how expensive the area is. I love the false impressions of some people, especially not knowing the area.

That's the thing they want a townhome or house within 30-40 minutes from union station for $2k or under in rent. It is simply not going to happen unless they live in PG county or east of the river DC.

There is something called unrealistic expectations, they have it. They either move further out, or into an area which is less than great. The nicer areas are way out of their budget in many cases.

You have proximity, good schools, safety, and low cost. At best you get to choose two in many cases. If cost is not an issue, you get proximity, good schools, and safety. The OP on the other hand sounds budget constrained but wants all four. It's just not happening.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 01-01-2016 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 8,856 times
Burke has the Park and Ride too if you want to use that. I grew up there and its a pretty good area to live in.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:24 PM

79 posts, read 97,543 times
I live near the king street metro station and worked at the "NoMa" (NY Ave) metro station for quite some time. I originally took the metro, but began driving when I realized that the morning commute was a bit shorter, while the afternoon commute was a bit longer. Overall, they evened out and I wasn't beholden to the ever worsening WMATA experiment.

My morning commute: Get on Prince Street in Old Town, head east towards the river until I intercept Route 1. Turn north on Route 1 and take it to Slater's lane. Slater's lane to GW Parkway. GW Parkway to 395. 395 to the end (NY Ave), then a side street (can't remember) to the NoMa area. If I left by 7AM, I could do it in 22-26 minutes depending on which lights I hit.

Afternoon commute: basically the same in reverse until I got to Route 1. At that point, I'd gauge the number of crazed marylanders attempting to flee through my city and bail onto one of the side streets if necessary.

One of the things that helped: Many of the routes through the grid of Old Town have synchronized lights, with special attention on the Route 1 corridors.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:43 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musman View Post
I shall be starting soon at my new job at Union Station. I have considered Lorton but commute(~70 min'ish) is too damn long?
My budget allows me to spend 2k for 2-3 bed townhouse. What other areas I should look into to have commute under 30-40mins?
Family oriented and safety is my primary need.
If you like Lorton move there. There is a VRE station with free parking. The train ride is only 35-40 minutes to Union Station. Definitely not 70 minutes.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:46 AM

97 posts, read 113,115 times
Burke is good but make sure you understand the limited VRE train schedule. Many places in Burke you can walk to VRE. Also Burke has close access to the slugging points (car pool HOV system).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia