Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite supermarket
Wegman's 48 50.00%
Giant 15 15.63%
Harris Teeter 12 12.50%
Safeway 6 6.25%
Shoppers 3 3.13%
Balducci's 2 2.08%
Whole Foods 8 8.33%
Trader Joes 12 12.50%
Costco 12 12.50%
BJs 1 1.04%
Food Lion 4 4.17%
Some other store 13 13.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 07:29 AM

15,119 posts, read 27,611,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I exclusively shop at the Woodbridge Wegman's. I went to the Fairfax store twice and I still haven't recovered from it.

So, I rarely have a crowd at "my" Wegman's but I always go either Saturday or Sunday morning prior to 10AM. It's fine. The worst times are any day around 3:30-5PM.

Parking is rarely a hassle there, even when it's busy and the shopping center there is easy enough to get in and out of.

One really good thing about them (and I hear it's true even in the superbusy Fairfax store), they are very good about no lines. I have never really had more than 1 other order in front of me.

Wish I could say that about Safeway. At any given time, there's about 20 people in the whole store, they have two registers open (on a good day) and I *always* have several people in front of me and the checkers are miserable.
I agree about Safeway, they seem to have decided that two registers open are enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 08:33 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,683,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I agree about Safeway, they seem to have decided that two registers open are enough...
You guys must be going to the one sort of near me near Ballston (Wilson/George Mason)--never, ever more than one register open. And no self-checkout. Yet the other one near me (Seven Corners) is completely the opposite, despite being in a far dumpier location.

The way people in this thread are talking about Wegmans, I'm gonna have to make a point to hit the one on Telegraph sometime after work. Maybe I should wear a video camera, to capture my reactions:

"But what it the price of this toilet paper per pound?"
"How is there no store brand of this?"
"But I don't believe in organic! I want regular!"
"Where are they hiding the Franzia?!"
"What do you mean you don't carry cage-free beef?"
"Come on, lady--we both know that's the asking price. Meet me halfway here."
"I don't care if she's 90; this is the express lane, and that is definitely 12 items she unloaded from her electric scooter."
"Sorry, man--I thought your Hawaiian shirt meant you worked here."

Old 01-01-2016, 09:28 AM

21,007 posts, read 27,059,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Detest Wegmans -- too big.

Carolina Knight -- love Ingles but doubt they'll ever come into NoVa market. Too small a chain.
Ingle's is mostly concentrated in western North Carolina, upstate South Carolina, eastern Tennessee, and northern Georgia. I do not see it expanding beyond its footprint.

Publix could be in Virginia in several years. It established its Charlotte Division in 2013, entered North Carolina, and is further expanding in North Carolina and South Carolina. Publix is competing with Kroger's Atlanta, Mid-Atlantic, Nashville, and Harris Teeter divisions in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:11 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,163,738 times
Trader Joe's all day.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 3,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Guess I'm not the only one whose been to the new Kingstowne location.
Too funny - I remember when the first Wegmans opened in the area out in Dulles. You couldn't park for hours! I think it's a hit with the quality and the overall 'feel' of the stores. There's a few more in the pipeline around here

Old 01-02-2016, 01:14 PM

318 posts, read 366,403 times
The most terrible are Safeway and giant which are
Unionized.

Wegman is the best and is non union. Lesson learned unions are terrible.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:25 AM

21,007 posts, read 27,059,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcyolo View Post
The most terrible are Safeway and giant which are
Unionized.

Wegman is the best and is non union. Lesson learned unions are terrible.
I have seen non-unionized stores that were terrible operations, and have been to a unionized store that was an excellent operation.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,240,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I exclusively shop at the Woodbridge Wegman's. I went to the Fairfax store twice and I still haven't recovered from it.

So, I rarely have a crowd at "my" Wegman's but I always go either Saturday or Sunday morning prior to 10AM. It's fine. The worst times are any day around 3:30-5PM.

Parking is rarely a hassle there, even when it's busy and the shopping center there is easy enough to get in and out of.

One really good thing about them (and I hear it's true even in the superbusy Fairfax store), they are very good about no lines. I have never really had more than 1 other order in front of me.

Wish I could say that about Safeway. At any given time, there's about 20 people in the whole store, they have two registers open (on a good day) and I *always* have several people in front of me and the checkers are miserable.
Oh Lord, the Fairfax Wegmans... make sure you remember which sector and sub-sector you parked in, or else you'll have a 25-minute walk to backtrack to the correct location!

Old 01-05-2016, 05:46 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,350,080 times
When I lived in Reston I'd do most of my shopping at the Giant at the Northpointe Village Centre. I found the store to be clean; the deli folks started to know me after a while (I always went in right after church); and the employees were friendly. It was also at this store that I was mistaken for Clay Aiken.

If I had some extra time on my hands and wasn't in a particular rush I'd skip Giant and instead head up Route 7 to the Wegman's in Leesburg. I know there's one in Sterling, but when the one in Leesburg opened I fell in love!

Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,984,723 times
I love Trader Joe's. I can't get everything I need there, unfortunately, but what they do have I really like. And I love the prices.

I shop at Wegmans and Safeway, but I hate them. Wegmans is too big and disorganized and it's always frustrating and too expensive. Safeway is dirty and doesn't have good produce or enough organics. I only go to those stores out of convenience or necessity, because TJ's doesn't have a few things I need.

And speaking of only opening two registers...that's Safeway Burke, for sure, and most of the time the two registers are manned by the world's slowest cashiers. I mean, I've just never seen women move so slowly. The other day I watched one of them pick up and comment on every single item she rang up, slowly turning them over and looking at them. It took 20 minutes for her to ring up one person with about 10 items. Yesterday I avoided her line, I think she must be mentally disabled or something, but the other cashier was also very slow. This place just has the worst staff and very high turnover. Must be an awful place to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia