U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,390 times

Advertisements

I was trying to Google what winter coats people recommended for winters in the DMV area, and found a bunch of old posts from people who were moving to the area from Florida and were concerned about the cold winters.

My worry is the opposite: I grew up in Chicago and then moved to Michigan before moving to Nova, and my winter coats have been just a little too warm for many days. Even last winter, I frequently wished I had a slightly lighter or different coat for the weather. There are so many days the low might be in the 20s, but the high is still a little too warm. Plus, the metro and buses can get so stuffy and warm!

So- any suggestions for good winter coats for the DMV area? I currently have a real down feather jacket from Nike that was nothing too special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 11:12 PM

7,925 posts, read 9,636,584 times
If you are used to the cold, and it's not bothersome to you - just pick based on style and appeal.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:54 AM

11,224 posts, read 19,670,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neffer85 View Post
So- any suggestions for good winter coats for the DMV area? I currently have a real down feather jacket from Nike that was nothing too special.
I used a coat I bought at Hecht's (when it was still in business.) The coat has a polyester outer shell with a zip-out wool lining. It also has a removable hood. With the lining in place it was good for everything except below zero weather. In spring and fall rainy weather, I removed the wool liner, and it was fine. Without the liner, it was also good over a wool suit jacket in much of the winter when it is over 32 degrees.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:06 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Male or Female?

Do you spend a lot of time outdoors? Will you be walking a lot from, say, a Metro station to your office or will you be pretty much doing garage to garage?

I have about several types of coats.

1. Very heavy, down filled parka. I wear it once or twice a year if I am forced to shovel snow. Used to wear something like this more often when the kids were young and I'd go outside and play in the snow with them.

2. Lighter weight "fashionable" Michael Kors 3/4 length "puffer" coat. Very warm. I wear this one mostly on the weekends if I'm going to be out a strip mall or just spending more time outside walking and the temps are under 40 degrees.

3. Several styles of raincoats with zip out wool liner. I wear this through most of the winter. They get me comfortably from my car to my destination. Warm enough for short bouts outside when the temps are 30-40 degrees. Probably not warm enough for longer than 30 minutes though.

4. Wool/fleece zip up jackets (Eddie Bauer brand). These are good on 40-50 degree days and also used as a layer under another coat if necessary.

So you might need several coats, but I'd stick with something lighter weight. If you are a man and are concerned about a work coat. I'd hit one of the better department stores and get a wool, hip length dress coat. That will cover anything work and fun related.

Your heavier coat will be used in Jan/Feb for just being outside. If you are still looking for something casual, get one of those "packable" down jackets that Eddie Bauer/North Face/Columbia sell. Polyester lining, down fill, very thin.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:24 AM

33,831 posts, read 41,883,302 times
My main one is this:

Cabela's Men's Dri-Fowl II™ Extreme™ 4-in-1 Parka with Thinsulate™ and 4MOST DRY-PLUS® : Cabela's

For less formal occasions I have a couple of these:

Cabela's Men's Highline 3-in-1 Parka with PrimaLoft® : Cabela's

Old 01-01-2016, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,390 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm female, and have <10 minute walks to a bus stop or metro station for my commute. I love the idea of one of those packable coats or lighter jackets to then use as an under layer. I always wondered who could actually use one of those thin, packable coats... turns out, maybe me! Thanks all.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:30 AM

945 posts, read 663,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neffer85 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm female, and have <10 minute walks to a bus stop or metro station for my commute. I love the idea of one of those packable coats or lighter jackets to then use as an under layer. I always wondered who could actually use one of those thin, packable coats... turns out, maybe me! Thanks all.
That's exactly what I use all winter. The LL Bean 850 down series has costs of various lengths but I use this one spring through fall unless I'm out in active sleet or shoveling snow in the dark.
L.L.Bean--Free Shipping,100%Guaranteed.Ranked"Highest Customer Satisfaction among Online Apparel Retailers"by J.D.Power and Associate

Old 01-01-2016, 07:38 AM

33,831 posts, read 41,883,302 times
The problem with down is, well, because it's down and down tends to be bulky.

The newer synthetics like Thinsulate are just as good (actually better) than down with a lot less bulk. I'd also tell you to get a coat with GoreTEX (or a similar waterproofing).

Old 01-01-2016, 08:17 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Most winters (unlike this one so far) we have maybe 10-15 days total of bitter cold (in the single digits); the rest is somewhere around the freezing mark or higher. So your down coat may be handy on occasion--especially if you have to be outside for ny length of time (esp. standing still, like at a bus stop). That said, my go-to most of the winter is a 3/4-length raincoat (looks like a topcoat) with a zip-out insulated liner. Definitely enough for most days here, and when it's just raining but not cold, I remove the liner. A leather jacket is also good for much of the year outside of April-September.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:18 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The problem with down is, well, because it's down and down tends to be bulky.

The newer synthetics like Thinsulate are just as good (actually better) than down with a lot less bulk. I'd also tell you to get a coat with GoreTEX (or a similar waterproofing).
The newer packable down coats are not bulky at all--and warm!!!

I think they may be washable too.

My son has a Carhartt down jacket (not packable/thin) but very washable. For a man's warm jacket, that thing has been awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or