U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 861 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to purchase a house in the near future (Reston/Burke/Springfield/Woodbrigde areas). We are currently renting in Arlington and have two bi-racial kids (white/black). One of our biggest consideration is the 'diversity' of the schools that our kids will be going to so they have peer group to be in. We are looking for recommendations on elementary and high schools in the above areas that would be a good fit for our kids.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:39 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,684,649 times
Woodbridge, Springfield, and Lorton are way more diverse than Reston and Burke. Lorton probably has the best schools overall of those three (Hayfield Secondary is the HS). Hylton in Woodbridge isn't bad either. Lee High School in Springfield has pretty bad ratings.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:43 PM

519 posts, read 698,176 times
West Springfield is very diverse and the high school (West Springfield High School) is outstanding.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:43 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Reston is generally going to be more diverse than West Springfield, but you'll find a fair amount of diversity in West Springfield as well. Orange Hunt ES is the least diverse of the West Springfield HS feeders, compared to Cardinal Forest ES, Hunt Valley ES, Keene Mill ES and Rolling Valley ES. The White Oaks ES area in Burke that feeds into Lake Braddock Secondary is also quite diverse.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by JD984; 01-04-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 03:09 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
I'm not understanding the "peer group" thing... as far as I can tell, kids accept kids as kids... This almost sounds divisive to me, you are looking for them to only have friends that are the same mix?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:33 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,840,172 times
It's NOVA. You'll find bi-racial, triple racial and every other kind of racial in the area.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:35 PM

159 posts, read 227,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm not understanding the "peer group" thing... as far as I can tell, kids accept kids as kids... This almost sounds divisive to me, you are looking for them to only have friends that are the same mix?
Interesting yet disappointing subject. I appreciate the OP's concern; I just never-ever looked at it in that manner as my kids are "bi-racial" as well. My kids are in the Chantilly HS pyramid and there is plenty of diversity at every level in the Chantilly pyramid (first hand experience) and have observed the same in the Centreville pyramid. See this FCPS page for the info you seek. I would recommend you focus on school achievement aka test results based on your family housing budget. If your kids are higher academic performers, look at the top 4-5 middle schools that TJHSST accept the most students from.

And yes, kids accept kids.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:43 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
From what I've read and heard over the years, they'll be fine at anything other than an all-black or all-white school--and there are few of either in NoVA. There's plenty of everybody at any school other than the farthest exurbs, maybe in far western Loudoun County. Even in the close-in most affluent school pyramids, I think your kid would face far more racism from the children of well-off Indians and Middle Easterners than from white kids.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:16 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It sort of hit me the same way at first, the way it was written, but then I figured that the original poster wanted to be sure he/she wasn't landing in a totally white, totally black, or totally XXXX school. In that case, they could be worried that bi-racial children would be perceived as too different.

Of course, I don't think that's much of an issue at all in NoVA.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:26 PM

529 posts, read 541,701 times
In case you didn't know, you can find demographics of FCPS school if you go to the following website:

FCPS Profile

and search for the school you want to see demographics, click on 'Profile' and then 'Demographics'.

This gives you 'Ethnicity' like Asian, Black, Hispanic, White and Other over the past 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or