Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,485 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving from Arlington to Warrenton. My office is located in Falls Church, but I only need to be physically in the office once or twice a week and even then I have some flexibility about when I come in, so the long commute isn't too much of an issue.

Does anyone have comments on the schools? I saw an early post blasting the schools and the school system. Also, it looks like they're building a new high school out there for a total of three in the Warrenton area. Is one better than the others, or are they expected to be similar?

Also, since one of the reasons that we might move out to Warrenton is that my wife and I both grew up in small towns and would like our children to grow up in the same atmospher, i.e. a little more relaxed than the DC suburbs, I was wondering if Warrenton still was a "small town" given all of the growth in the area. Or has it become just another fringe suburb? If that's the case, I could just stay in Arlington, though with a smaller house.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 04:28 PM

15 posts, read 84,397 times
Default Warrenton schools

I LOVE Warrenton. I came from Ashburn - much more to do, more people, all the conveniences within a mile. We moved here three years ago and I was very nervous about the move - but it was the best thing we did.

I live down the road from the new high school you mentioned. They're working on it now and the new elementary school will be finished this fall also, being built right next to it.

My kids go to C. Hunter Ritchie (we're on the "DC side of Warrenton", 10 minutes from Gainesville). We were a Blue Ribbon School the year my kids started in 2004. I do not have a single negative thing to say about this school. The custodians, to the lunch ladies, to the teachers, to the administration - love them all. I'm on the PTO and it is phenomenal.

With that said, our assistant prinicipal was just hired to be the principal at the new elementary school (Greenville - the high school will be Kettle Run). I'm a former teacher and considered applying for a job at either elementary school.

PB Smith is just down the road and seems to have a fairly good reputation. I think when you head to the more rural areas, you may not hear as many nice things. I know Brumfield Elementary is having some problems with test scores.

Hope I answered all your questions. Email me if you want more info. I have a 9 year old, a 6 1/2 year old and 3 1/2 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia