U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 08:02 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,636,630 times

Advertisements

I know lots of people who never lived in Arlington/DC in their 20s and were perfectly happy. Probably happier than if they had lived there. It just depends what someone is looking for. The main reason I'd suggest Arlington/DC to the OP is because he specifically asked about Reston 'is it exciting for someone in their early 20s'. Which leads me to believe he wants to live near a lively social scene. If that's what someone wants, Reston or any of the other farther out NOVA suburbs aren't the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 AM

7,904 posts, read 9,597,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Other people have different tastes than you. There's a lot of single people for whom Arlington or DC is the best option and the rest of the area is boring. Others might be looking for something different and be content with other parts of the area.

Of course people have different tastes than me! And there is nothing wrong with Arlington or DC. But to always say (as soooo many people on this forum constantly do) that Arlington and DC are the only vibrant, dynamic, lively, and exciting areas for 20-somethings is simply not true.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:00 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,268,559 times
Silver Spring should be out completely. Good if you are commuting to DC or Bethesda, not recommended if you are commuting to that area of NoVa. Consider Arlington as your alternative. With that being said, I understand your desire not to live in a more suburban area.Again Reston is not an exciting social scene for a young person. Hell for people who want something more urban, I would not recommend it.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Again Reston is not an exciting social scene for a young person.
Maybe I am not understanding what you mean by "exciting". Can you please elaborate on what you mean?

Old 01-08-2016, 10:37 AM

1,991 posts, read 2,913,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Of course people have different tastes than me! And there is nothing wrong with Arlington or DC. But to always say (as soooo many people on this forum constantly do) that Arlington and DC are the only vibrant, dynamic, lively, and exciting areas for 20-somethings is simply not true.
I don't see anyone in this thread saying that Reston and other places outside of Arlington and DC are bad for all 20-somethings. The point is the OP said he he wants to be around lots of other people his age. I know Reston does have nightlife, but is there even a single bar that is PREDOMINANTLY people under the age of 30? You have to go to Arlington, DC, maybe Silver Spring or Bethesda for that.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,723,289 times
The part I find assuming about this entire thread is that all 20 something's are cut from the same cloth. My 20's might be a distant memory, but I know I wouldn't relate to all the loud, obnoxious drunk 20 something's my younger co-workers complain about in the Arlington area.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
The point is the OP said he he wants to be around lots of other people his age.
Really? Where does the OP say this? I don't see him mention age at all, except when he says he doesn't think he will make many friends at work because they are "older with families".

Old 01-08-2016, 11:02 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
The part I find assuming about this entire thread is that all 20 something's are cut from the same cloth. My 20's might be a distant memory, but I know I wouldn't relate to all the loud, obnoxious drunk 20 something's my younger co-workers complain about in the Arlington area.
This makes a lot of sense: first tell people to stop stereotyping all young people and then you make a stereotype about all young people in Arlington.

Exactly.

We are all frat boys that do keg stands in our front yards. None of us are responsible and have our own families.

It gets really tiring defending Arlington from all the stereotypes...

Old 01-08-2016, 11:09 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,520,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I simply tired of Jackon's, Clyde's, Jackson's, Clyde's, Jackson's, Clyde's for happy hours and socializing. Our favorite hangout became Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, but it wasn't within reasonable walking distance.
Check out all the new places in Reston since you left!

World of Beer - Locations
Barcelona Restaurant & Wine Bar
bartaco
Red's Table
The Counter
Washington, DC Restaurants | Bars | Ted's Bulletin Restaurant
http://hyatthotels.hyatt.com/corpora.../tavern64.html
Vapiano Reston Town Center, 1875 Explorer St, Reston*|*VAPIANO
Mon Ami Gabi | Reston | Home
The Tasting Room Wine Bar & Shop - Boxwood Estate Winery
Washington DC Fine Dining
Reston Virginia Restaurants | Northern Virginia Restaurants | Reston Wine Bar | Viniefera Wine Bar & Bistro
NEYLA – Mediterranean Bistro

Old 01-08-2016, 11:10 AM

1,991 posts, read 2,913,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Really? Where does the OP say this? I don't see him mention age at all, except when he says he doesn't think he will make many friends at work because they are "older with families".
In his post on the DC forum he said he is in his twenties with no kids and wants to be around people of similar demographic to him, preferably an area with lots of young black professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or