Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:05 PM

36 posts, read 48,787 times

Advertisements

I was kinda skeptical about the 30 min commute to Quantico. I'm thinking south to be able to hook up with friends frequently...so Fairfax county would be too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 08:16 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
Have you thought about moving to Fairfax County? I believe your budget could get you a townhouse or possible a SFH in the southern part of the county (I would check Lorton and West Springfield) and then you would have excellent schools and a reverse commute. Your desire to be closer to friends might outweigh these factors but I thought I'd throw it out there...
This is a good idea. A commute south to Quantico might be worthwhile looking into. If not Fairfax County, how about Prince William County? Living in the Montclair or Ashland neighborhoods would not be a nice commute from exit 152 to the Quantico exit.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:39 AM

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know of any pitfalls with Timber Ridge drive in Dumfries? Its in the Montclair neighborhood. The assigned HS is only rated 6, but not too concerning. What do ya'll think about that area (traffic to Quantico, friendly vibes, family-oriented)??

Last edited by Why-not-now; 01-13-2016 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-13-2016, 07:03 AM

857 posts, read 843,957 times
Cant speak about that particular neighborhood since I do not have personal experience with that immediate area, but looking at the map, you are pretty close to Rt. 234 and Rt.1. With that in mind, commute to Quantico should be under 30 minutes (just a rough estimate; probably 15-20).

Old 01-13-2016, 07:03 AM

503 posts, read 772,343 times
Stafford - check out areas in the Colonial Forge HS district. A lot of construction happening on Courthouse Rd corridor (west side of 95). Easy commute to Quantico and convenient location to enjoy amenities of metro area.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:40 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
If you can do Montclair I'd do that before Stafford. Stafford is still going to put you right in with all the traffic going north towards DC and south in the evenings. Montclair would be a reverse commute, while not perfect it would definitely be a shorter and less stressful commute compared to Stafford.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
If you can do Montclair I'd do that before Stafford. Stafford is still going to put you right in with all the traffic going north towards DC and south in the evenings. Montclair would be a reverse commute, while not perfect it would definitely be a shorter and less stressful commute compared to Stafford.

x2. Any commute south of Quantico, even to Stafford, can be unpredictable and painful. You are also dealing with HOV lanes exiting at Stafford (610), so it results in some sloooow moving traffic frequently.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:11 AM

I'm so over a long commute... I drove from Orlando to Tampa (1.5 hours-not bad by NoVA standards, I know) for 1.5 yrs and that left me so drained at the end of the day. I don't see how people do it long term. When do you have time to see your family, play with the dog, etc? I value my home life, so I'll be looking between Woodbridge and Stafford. Although, I like the prices of Stafford, the unpredictable traffic is concerning.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why-not-now View Post
I'm so over a long commute... I drove from Orlando to Tampa (1.5 hours-not bad by NoVA standards, I know) for 1.5 yrs and that left me so drained at the end of the day. I don't see how people do it long term. When do you have time to see your family, play with the dog, etc? I value my home life, so I'll be looking between Woodbridge and Stafford. Although, I like the prices of Stafford, the unpredictable traffic is concerning.

Another thing worth considering (if you are going to be working on the actual base) is traffic coming onto and leaving base (front vs. back gate), especially those folks heading south. I'll just say that given majority of folks prefer, or better term - choose to, live south of the area (due to ability to get more for the $), you can imagine how that affects traffic flow south vs. north (talking possibly 15-30+ minutes extra just to exit the base).

Old 01-24-2016, 07:48 PM

40 posts, read 58,100 times
Quantico to Stafford is totally doable. And you'll get nicer homes there, especially in the Colonial Forge area. The high school there is good as well. Montclair used to be a nice area, but those homes are generally quite old and will require a ton of work. Plus, the schools on that end of pwc have gone to crap. I currently live in Spotsylvania and we commute to Lake Ridge. It's generally an hour or less commute in the morning, and we live near Riverbend High because it is the best school in the county. The othe spotsy high schools are not well known for their academics, so beware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia