U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 06:55 PM

26 posts, read 15,569 times

Advertisements

Great info here and I appreciate everyone's input. Considering a job offer at Quantico, what is the commute from Spotsy? My son will be a 9th grader next year, how are the HS in that area? Thanks in advance. WNN
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 06:26 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,140,867 times
Is there a reason why you picked Spotsylvania? Stafford and Spotsylvania are essentially the same, Stafford is a little bit more urban but also further North so Stafford is the better choice from a commuting perspective. Most people who like Spotsylvania also like Stafford.

You'd be going with traffic since in the mornings you'll be going North and evenings you'll be going South so it probably would be a headache, especially since 95 bottlenecks pretty bad from Quantico to Fredericksburg. I don't know what your budget is but look at Stafford or Prince William if you can.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. Spotsy is the only place I've visited in NoVA and that was only an overnight visit for a wedding. I have good friends who live there and they say it's only a 30 minute commute. I'm thinking its a ploy to get us to move closer to them (our kids are the same ages/grades & are as thick as thieves).

It'd be nice to be in the same area to have some support; as the job in question requires 40% overnight travel; but I wouldn't want a commute longer than 45 minutes. If all goes well, we'll rent a year or two to get the feel of the different areas. We're moving from Tampa, Florida. The maximum housing budget is $2500.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:52 AM

7,603 posts, read 17,648,062 times
Check out school systems. I've heard rumblings, but cannot speak with any personal knowledge. There is a fantastic sit, GreatSchools dot org that provides ratings and feedback of each school.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:11 AM

Yes SM, I see Spotys HS is rated a 3 on the site. Our current MS is rated 7. I think that as long as the school is rated 5 or above, he'll do fine.

Although I'd like to be closer to friends, I'd be happier with a shorter commute to work. Stafford has nice rentals on Zillow and some of the schools are rated 5 or better. Does anyone know in minutes what the commute time would be to the front gate?

Old 01-10-2016, 04:17 PM

349 posts, read 1,266,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why-not-now View Post
Thanks for the reply. Spotsy is the only place I've visited in NoVA and that was only an overnight visit for a wedding. I have good friends who live there and they say it's only a 30 minute commute. I'm thinking its a ploy to get us to move closer to them (our kids are the same ages/grades & are as thick as thieves).

It'd be nice to be in the same area to have some support; as the job in question requires 40% overnight travel; but I wouldn't want a commute longer than 45 minutes. If all goes well, we'll rent a year or two to get the feel of the different areas. We're moving from Tampa, Florida. The maximum housing budget is $2500.
If that 40% overnight travel involves flights, you'll want to be a lot further north than Spotsylvania. Spotsylvania is over 50 miles from the nearest airports and even if you go the Richmond route to save on traffic, you'll be dealing with connecting flights to most locations.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:04 PM

274 posts, read 243,315 times
95 is a nightmare to travel on. Commute time from Spotsy to Quantico could be an hour or more during rush hour. I would look more in Stafford County instead if travel time is the most important.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:34 PM

Didn't even consider the airport issue; thanks for the heads up. Spotsy is nice in theory, but I do believe I'll be looking a bit further north. What parts of Stafford provide good schools, low crime, family-centered and friendly vibes with rent less than $2500?

Old 01-11-2016, 05:39 AM

514 posts, read 654,847 times
Have you thought about moving to Fairfax County? I believe your budget could get you a townhouse or possible a SFH in the southern part of the county (I would check Lorton and West Springfield) and then you would have excellent schools and a reverse commute. Your desire to be closer to friends might outweigh these factors but I thought I'd throw it out there...

Old 01-11-2016, 05:44 AM

536 posts, read 332,131 times
I have done the same exact commute for a number of years (have moved north past Quantico last year). This is not something I would do again or recommend to someone else. Reason for it is complete unpredictability of traffic on 95. A 30 minute commute either way is the absolute best case scenario - something that is very very rare. It is possible to get that in the morning and some afternoons, but for the most part I would plan 45 minutes to 1.5 hours; this may take longer on Fridays when everyone is heading south. Now, on the plus side, depending where one is in Spotsy (I actually lived pretty close to Spotsy HS), it is quiet, all the stores (Super Target, Lowes, Super Walmart, Costco, etc.) are pretty close, although it may be a challenge at times getting around on weekends since the Central Park area (one exit north of 126) gets pretty crowded. Not sure how much you'd want to do socially but IMO there isn't much in that area, aside from downtown Fburg, which is ok, but after a while you just run out of places to go to. If you do have to travel frequently, especially flying, Richmond airport is only like 45 minutes away and is an absolute breeze to drive to and from as well as easy to find parking. Given your budget, in that area, you'll be able to find a good place. I actually have mine (SFH on 3 acres) rented out right now for less than that. If you need any specific information, feel free to ask.

P.S. Commute from north of Quantico (to Quantico), although given an almost twofold increase in distance now takes me 30-40 minutes; a breeze at 70-80 mph. Stafford to Quantico commute would be very reasonable. IMO though there isn't much going on in Stafford, be it store wise or socially. My recommendation would be to look further north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia