U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:54 PM

7,923 posts, read 9,634,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
That will be a rough commute for the spouse going from Charlottesville to OT Alexandria three times per week. From what I can tell, the earliest amtrak train would have him departing Charlottesville at 7 am and arriving in Alexandria at 9:30 am, and it looks like ride home leaves Alexandria at 6:49 and arrives in Charlottesville at 8:47pm.
That's a really long day, three times a week. Plus, I wonder about the cost--does Amtrak have a special rate for those that ride several times per week?
Yes, that would be a pretty hard commute. Amtrak does have a frequent rider program, but it is still a long, expensive commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 06:09 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,684,045 times
I didn't even know you could get to Charlottesville that quickly by train. I would have thought it would have more like 3 hours since it takes almost an hour and a half just to get to Manassas from Union Station.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:13 AM

5,076 posts, read 5,342,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilsel View Post
New to NOVA. My husband is starting a job in Alexandria OT where he needs to be in the office 3 days/week. Flying nationally 2+ times/month. I work in Charlottesville where I have to be onsite at least once/week. We both prefer public transport commutes (his is preference, mine necessity). We expect to rent for 6 months or so with the goal of relocation. We have 2 small dogs. We'd appreciate any advice on where we should we be looking to rent that would be reasonably accessible to public transport, safe & reasonably priced so that we can save some $ for a downpayment.
I'm not aware of any public transportation that is commuter friendly between NoVA and Charlottesville.

Is it possible that y'all stay put in Charlottesville, and your husband rent a cheapo hotel room in Alexandria for two nights a week?

That option would:

1.) Probably save money or come close to the cost of both of you commuting via public transpo
2.) Allow you to rent in/around Charlottesville where housing is more reasonably priced

Which begs the question, what do you consider reasonably priced for housing?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:39 AM

650 posts, read 405,438 times
Hmm, just looked at the map, it's about 111 miles from OT Alexandria to Charlottesville via 95 or 121 miles via 15/29. Not a short commute exactly - 2 hours or so. I think either way one of you will have to drive. You could possibly live in Fburg, have your husband VRE to Alexandria (may have to look at specific commute to the office once there) and have you drive to Charlottesville. Either way you slice it, IMO one person has to drive.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:43 AM

7,923 posts, read 9,634,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Either way you slice it, IMO one person has to drive.

Yes, I would agree with that, but if you look at the OP, it is a necessity that she take public transportation. One person may have to drive, but it will have to be her husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilsel View Post
We both prefer public transport commutes (his is preference, mine necessity).

Old 01-15-2016, 06:48 AM

650 posts, read 405,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, I would agree with that, but if you look at the OP, it is a necessity that she take public transportation. One person may have to drive, but it will have to be her husband.

Good point. Driving to Alexandria though from points south is a huge PITA (especially 3 times a week), as we all know it...

Old 01-15-2016, 07:28 AM

79 posts, read 71,914 times
The train is a great option. It drops off in downtown Cville and downtown Alexandria. It's part of the Northeast regional, so it's fairly regular as well.

The only disadvantage is that south of DC, Amtrak does not own the tracks. What this means is that they share them with CSX and therefore do not have priority. This means that about 25-50% of the time, the train (which is usually a scheduled trip of a little over 2 hours) may have to pull over on a spur and allow a freight train to pass. I've had 2 hour trips take closer to 3 because of this (rare). Usually when this happens, the conductor makes an attempt to go faster afterwards and make up some of the lost time.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I didn't even know you could get to Charlottesville that quickly by train. I would have thought it would have more like 3 hours since it takes almost an hour and a half just to get to Manassas from Union Station.
The NE regional has several stops between Union and Cville, specifically L'Enfant (I think), ALX, Burke, Manassas and Culpepper. The trains are normally stopped for 2-4 minutes and then have to go through the process of slowing down, speeding up, etc. This is why it can take a little while early on. However, once it gets past Culpepper, it's a straight shot until Cville.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:34 AM

And I will say that driving between the two with any regularity will crush your soul. 29 is the most rage inducing stretch of highway I've ever experienced, and your reward on the way back into DC is another 35 miles on 66/495.

The other option 95 and then cutting over through Fredericksburg on route 3 and taking several 2-lane roads to come out near Pantops Mountain in Cville. Unfortunately, 95 (North or south) is unpredictable and typically horrible, and 3 in Fredericksburg is apparently using the 29 template of misery.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:01 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,119,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Good point. Driving to Alexandria though from points south is a huge PITA (especially 3 times a week), as we all know it...
And from my (limited) experience, driving from Alexandria to Charlottesville in the p.m. is abysmal, due to congestion on 29 at Gainesville. Perhaps there are better routes, though.

Living in Charlottesville and renting a room in NoVA might be the best option for this difficult situation.

Wanderu has bus service connecting many Virginia cities and towns, including trips between Charlottesville and Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg and Alexandria, Richmond and Charlottesville, Richmond and Alexandria, etc. https://www.wanderu.com/en/bus-tickets/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or