U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 05:53 AM

23,573 posts, read 33,297,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
people really cant drive in this area and don't watch the weather.
The problem last night was that Arlington County didn't watch the weather and did no treatment of the roads whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 06:17 AM

883 posts, read 603,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The problem last night was that Arlington County didn't watch the weather and did no treatment of the roads whatsoever.
same on the Dulles Toll Road, apparently.

PLANNING IZ HARD.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:30 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,686,517 times
Seems like this happens every year at least once.

I think the general populace was just as at fault. People don't seem to realize that 25 degrees & 1" inch of snow can be much worse than 35 degrees & 4" inches of snow.

Don't get me wrong, VDOT should have pretreated and missed the 8 ball too. But you can't fault the weather forecasters. The National Weather Service issued a warning that "Roads will become slick and about 1 inch of snow is expected."

Old 01-21-2016, 08:06 AM

13,028 posts, read 19,859,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Seems like this happens every year at least once.

I think the general populace was just as at fault. People don't seem to realize that 25 degrees & 1" inch of snow can be much worse than 35 degrees & 4" inches of snow.

Don't get me wrong, VDOT should have pretreated and missed the 8 ball too. But you can't fault the weather forecasters. The National Weather Service issued a warning that "Roads will become slick and about 1 inch of snow is expected."
When did they issue that warning? It got drowned out by all the noise about Friday 's storm. That was one problem. The other was that it during the busy traffic time. People had no choice but to deal with it. Would have been nice to have been at home.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:36 AM

13,028 posts, read 19,859,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You got that right! I drove from Arlington to Ashburn and Arlington was the worst. Washington Blvd. was very slippery. After crossing the County line, it suddenly got a little better. We still had to cut over to Seven Corners and 50 due to 66 being blocked, but the road conditions were not that bad on 50. It only took us 4 hours rather than the 7 hours others took.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:06 AM

766 posts, read 848,736 times
Uh oh....

Old 01-21-2016, 09:07 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,645,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
people really cant drive in this area and don't watch the weather.
It wasn't so much bad driving as really bad road conditions. I had heard we might get up to an inch but usually that doesn't result in such awful driving conditions. They must not have pre treated anything. The roads in Tysons/Vienna were beyond crappy on my way home around 6-7.

I am amazed at how many RWD cars I see stuck around here whenever it snows. Why would you drive a RWD car here in the winter? You know if there's any type of snow or ice on the ground you are totally screwed. If you can't afford 2 cars in order to keep the RWD in the garage just buy FWD. It's like clockwork, whenever I'm driving home during a snowstorm I will pass at least one Dodger Charger stranded on the side of the road

Old 01-21-2016, 09:16 AM

529 posts, read 542,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
Uh oh....

Oh oh... This doesn't sound good.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 AM

650 posts, read 406,259 times
All this talk of snow accumulation, how about we discuss what everyone's plans are when S hits the fan? Partying it up while shoveling snow? Staying inside and getting into some Netflix action?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:39 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,645,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
All this talk of snow accumulation, how about we discuss what everyone's plans are when S hits the fan? Partying it up while shoveling snow? Staying inside and getting into some Netflix action?
Beer and netflix sounds good. Although in our house it will probably be lots of kid shows on netflix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or