U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:58 PM

473 posts, read 984,029 times

Advertisements

Then make businesses and homeowners plow sidewalks. Or, at least have our governments clear the sidewalks along major arterials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 10:12 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,810,565 times
Major roads are never going to get the sidewalks cleaned because they have 2-3 lanes of packed snow from the road on top of them. You won't be seeing the sidewalks on Braddock until Spring.

Arl/Alex have snow clearing ordinances and you can be fined for not clearing the snow although Arlington is giving people until Wed to get it done due to the amount of snow that fell. In Fairfax you have no legal obligation to due anything so while many will still do it anyway as a helping out the community type thing I'd wouldn't expect too much (except for people that can be fined by an HOA).

Old 01-24-2016, 10:31 PM

473 posts, read 984,029 times
I live about 3 blocks from my 7-11. Probably a little further from coffee shops, restaurants etc. All walkable. But I can't get to that because sidewalks are totally snowed in. I can get there by walking in the street, but our illustrious leaders don't want us to do that. Always, cars are a priority, though.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:25 AM

194 posts, read 281,905 times
Well you have a couple of options: You can sit there like a 5 year old and complain about something out of your control, or you can go out and walk to you 7-11 like you are going to anyways....

Old 01-25-2016, 06:30 AM

650 posts, read 402,686 times
Plenty of cleared sidewalks in OT and major roads clear to pavement; I know we have been shoveling for the past three days. Believe city gave all 72 hours to clear sidewalks. Some smaller streets have not yet been touched though. They had some restaurants open on Saturday here.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:39 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,422,685 times
I understand your frustration, but we are talking about one of the biggest snowfalls on record for the DC area. If you have to go a few days (or even a week) without 7-11 or a coffee shop, I'm sure your life will go on much as it had before.

I do think shoveling sidewalks should be a legal requirement, but you're still going to have to have a little patience and understanding when you're dealing with 2 to 3 feet of snow. Not everyone is capable of moving that much snow. It's just reality.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:43 AM

10,587 posts, read 12,052,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I understand your frustration, but we are talking about one of the biggest snowfalls on record for the DC area. If you have to go a few days (or even a week) without 7-11 or a coffee shop, I'm sure your life will go on much as it had before.

I do think shoveling sidewalks should be a legal requirement, but you're still going to have to have a little patience and understanding when you're dealing with 2 to 3 feet of snow. Not everyone is capable of moving that much snow. It's just reality.
I don't have sidewalks but one thing I notice is that you can shovel sidewalks until your heart's content and then the plow comes by....

Old 01-25-2016, 07:04 AM

3,154 posts, read 3,035,192 times
I hope we are not required to clear sidewalks. I could not possibly do it with this much snow. Snow shoveling is hard physical labor and just isn't possible for a lot of people.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 AM

944 posts, read 657,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
In Fairfax you have no legal obligation to due anything so while many will still do it anyway as a helping out the community type thing I'd wouldn't expect too much (except for people that can be fined by an HOA).
Technically, an HOA would be overreaching to fine people who don't clear their snow. We had a legal audit of our own HOA which had similar rules on the books. We were informed that they overstep our legal boundaries as they go farther than Fairfax County law and are seen as an undue burden on the homeowner.

So even if your HOA has these rules, they are probably illegal.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:12 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,422,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I hope we are not required to clear sidewalks. I could not possibly do it with this much snow. Snow shoveling is hard physical labor and just isn't possible for a lot of people.
There is no legal requirement in Fairfax County and, even if there was, I don't think there is any way it could be enforced when you have this kind of snow fall. I am young and fit and was able to clear a path on my sidewalks but it was truly grueling work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or