U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:29 AM

113 posts, read 364,160 times

Advertisements

Nothing plowed in my neighborhood in Centreville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 06:49 AM

519 posts, read 699,633 times
We are always plowed thoroughly and early. I'm in a subdivision off Rolling Road. I could get out easily if I want to. I consider myself very lucky.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:55 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,429,646 times
It's interesting the disparity in plowing. I am in the Saratoga subdivision off of Rolling Road and our street (one of the cul-de-sacs in the back of the neighborhood, not exactly a priority) has been plowed multiple times staring Friday night. I, too, can see pavement. VDOT does our roads, not the HOA. I have sometimes thought that our neighborhood gets greater attention because of the Fairfax Connector Pentagon bus that comes through the neighborhood, but that really only explains the route of the bus, not streets like mine. Of course, the plows that come through our neighborhood are clearly contractors as they are typically trucks from landscape companies. Perhaps it makes a difference whether it's VDOT or one of it's contractors responsible for your neighborhood and perhaps the contractors vary in their thoroughness. Just some thoughts.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:59 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,649,100 times
It just seems kind of inefficient that some residential roads are getting plowed 5-6 times and some not at all. Really with the temps being as high as they are in the afternoon the sun would do a lot of the work if a road were just plowed once.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:59 AM

349 posts, read 1,291,093 times
My HOA takes care of plowing a path on the county road to our common driveways. This stretch is only a few hundred feet long, but it's the difference between getting out the first day and waiting 3-4 days for a plow.

I'd suggest that any HOA which isn't on a main road to contract for snow removal, otherwise you are at the mercy of when VDOT gets around.

Note: I grew up in the north and one of my neighbors plowed our road, as county trucks wouldn't couldn't come by for 3-4 days after a snowstorm, so this isn't just a DC issue.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:18 AM

947 posts, read 666,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
My HOA takes care of plowing a path on the county road to our common driveways. This stretch is only a few hundred feet long, but it's the difference between getting out the first day and waiting 3-4 days for a plow.

I'd suggest that any HOA which isn't on a main road to contract for snow removal, otherwise you are at the mercy of when VDOT gets around.

Note: I grew up in the north and one of my neighbors plowed our road, as county trucks wouldn't couldn't come by for 3-4 days after a snowstorm, so this isn't just a DC issue.
Yes and no. Our HOA also contracts out for snow removal, and they have done a thoroughly insufficient job throughout the storm. We still aren't able to get out. I couldn't even say what our other Oakton (near 66) streets look like since I can't get out to see them.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:24 AM

50 posts, read 39,681 times
HOA contracted snow removal finally got most of the neighborhood cleared in Haymarket. Still a lot of digging out to do, but I was able to get in and out in a 2wd SUV with no problems. Main roads are clear but we are right by the Haymarket hospital and 66, McDonald's was still closed though so back to eating bread and milk. https://youtu.be/ax8ptauDsLo

Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 AM

5,739 posts, read 8,952,016 times
Neighborhood street in Arl still untouched. Can't go anywhere. County plow crews are supposed to get to all such streets by Tuesday night--so I may have to telework tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:10 AM

49 posts, read 56,372 times
In response to the person who said it only stopped snowing Saturday, anyone who has ever lived in a place where they don't get crippled by snow knows that the plowing intensity doesn't pick up after a storm - it is most intense during the storm to prevent roads from accumulating too much.

And yes, we have thousands of miles of road to plow. So do most other major metropolitan areas that deal with snow.

This isn't about timing or mileage. It is about planning. And it seems the planning is atrocious. If most of your plows are contracted, there should be strict planning measures put into place to make sure that all major roads are clear, and that all feeder roads have been plowed with enough regularity to allow cars a path out.

The fact that we don't usually deal with blizzards doesn't absolve poor planning when they do occur. We do deal with some snow every year, and we should expect better planning and responses from VDOT and others.

And before someone points to the cost and budgeting it would take to do this right, I point you to the enormous cost of shutting down all commerce in a major metropolitan area day after day.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:33 AM

519 posts, read 699,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssa78 View Post
In response to the person who said it only stopped snowing Saturday, anyone who has ever lived in a place where they don't get crippled by snow knows that the plowing intensity doesn't pick up after a storm - it is most intense during the storm to prevent roads from accumulating too much.

And yes, we have thousands of miles of road to plow. So do most other major metropolitan areas that deal with snow.

This isn't about timing or mileage. It is about planning. And it seems the planning is atrocious. If most of your plows are contracted, there should be strict planning measures put into place to make sure that all major roads are clear, and that all feeder roads have been plowed with enough regularity to allow cars a path out.

The fact that we don't usually deal with blizzards doesn't absolve poor planning when they do occur. We do deal with some snow every year, and we should expect better planning and responses from VDOT and others.

And before someone points to the cost and budgeting it would take to do this right, I point you to the enormous cost of shutting down all commerce in a major metropolitan area day after day.
You've made some good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia