U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 2,547 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a position making 60k per year at an office located in Chantilly. I'm from Ohio and do not know anyone in the area, so I will be planning to live in a 1 bedroom apartment. I am a 23 year old single guy who likes going out and I want to meet new people my age. I have heard Arlington is the place to be, but it seems out of my budget. At the moment I am considering living in Fairfax Corner, but I don't know if this is a good place for someone my age. I would like to live someplace fun with others like myself! I have heard some good things about Reston Town Center and Falls Church. Any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 02:10 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,811,088 times
Nothing wrong with Fairfax Corner especially with you working in Chantilly. Downside is that it is pretty far from DC and no metro. Another option might be Tyson's Corner or the Mosiac District area if you want to be closer to a metro (your commute will be a little longer). A 1br is going to be $1400+ so given your salary if you can stand roommates you can meet people through that route as well.

Arlington is great, but it's not like all young people only live in Arlington. It's also quite far from Chantilly. I would recommend joining an adult sports league of your choice for the weekends...flag football, softball, and kickball are all popular.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:56 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,637,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronGuy View Post
I recently accepted a position making 60k per year at an office located in Chantilly. I'm from Ohio and do not know anyone in the area, so I will be planning to live in a 1 bedroom apartment. I am a 23 year old single guy who likes going out and I want to meet new people my age. I have heard Arlington is the place to be, but it seems out of my budget. At the moment I am considering living in Fairfax Corner, but I don't know if this is a good place for someone my age. I would like to live someplace fun with others like myself! I have heard some good things about Reston Town Center and Falls Church. Any suggestions? Thanks
Fairfax Corner and Reston Town Center are similar, although RTC is larger. They both have some very nice retail, restaurants, move theater, etc. The age demographic you'll see there is older in both places. I rarely went to either place in my 20s but I find myself there a lot more now that I'm in my 30s with a family. You will have to venture out if you want to find places to hang out with lots of people your age but they are nice areas to shop or eat.

Parts of Falls Church are really nice too, particularly the city of falls church. If you live near the intersection of route 7 & 29 you have some good walkability there too. Also some nice restaurants, a brewery, etc. It probably is more expensive than Fairfax Corner and Reston Town Center although if you find a rental in an older condo building you could find something decently priced.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 AM

944 posts, read 657,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Fairfax Corner and Reston Town Center are similar, although RTC is larger. They both have some very nice retail, restaurants, move theater, etc. The age demographic you'll see there is older in both places. I rarely went to either place in my 20s but I find myself there a lot more now that I'm in my 30s with a family. You will have to venture out if you want to find places to hang out with lots of people your age but they are nice areas to shop or eat.

Parts of Falls Church are really nice too, particularly the city of falls church. If you live near the intersection of route 7 & 29 you have some good walkability there too. Also some nice restaurants, a brewery, etc. It probably is more expensive than Fairfax Corner and Reston Town Center although if you find a rental in an older condo building you could find something decently priced.
I would add that the parking for both retail and apartments is easier at Fairfax Corner than RTC. I see a lot of couples out at FC. There are singles who frequent the bar areas of Ozzies and Coastal Flats every weeknight.

City of Falls Church is a good suggestion. Lots of young professionals live and work around there. I was one of them for a while.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:37 AM

10,587 posts, read 12,055,734 times
I have a 25 y/o daughter living at home with me in the suburbs. All of her socializing is done first in DC and second in Arlington. It is very rare for her to go to Fairfax or Reston.

As soon as she gets her salary up, she will be moving into DC if she can manage it.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 2,547 times
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. It sounds like living near the metro is important if you want to get to Arlington and DC. I will still consider living in Fairfax Cormer and RTC, but I will look into Falls Church, Tysons Corner, and the mosaic district. Out of all the options I am looking into, which would you choose if you are in my situation? Please let me know.. This has been helpful! I move down there June 5th

Oh and GO AKRON ZIPS

Old 01-27-2016, 01:10 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,676,638 times
I'd estimate at least half the young people in Arlington have roommates, so that's how we're able to afford it. Getting to Arlington by car is actually pretty easy and parking is a piece of cake compared to DC proper. Only issue is if you want to drink, then it can be a little bit of an issue.

Fairfax Corner probably wouldn't be a bad place for you. Definitely other young people out there and it would make your commute to work very easy.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:53 PM

944 posts, read 657,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have a 25 y/o daughter living at home with me in the suburbs. All of her socializing is done first in DC and second in Arlington. It is very rare for her to go to Fairfax or Reston.

As soon as she gets her salary up, she will be moving into DC if she can manage it.
I agree that people going out spend their time in Arligton and DC. That doesn't mean you have to live there or even would want to. Even if you are going out every Saturday night, it would be cheaper to live out farther and closer to work then commute daily and spend your free time in the car.

I'm kind of over people in their forties and fifties telling me where people my age live.

My friends living in Arligton have roommates, or their parents pay their rent. Most of them have moved out of the more popular parts because they are over what they call the "crowded" feeling. Not everyone wants to party every night and live in a crowded highrise. Or spend $1500 a month to live with someone else.

Most of my post-undergraduate socializing was more about happy hours and brunches than clubbing and bar hopping. Not everyone is like me. But also not everyone wants to live in Clarendon.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:38 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,637,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I'm kind of over people in their forties and fifties telling me where people my age live.
Not everyone wants to party every night and live in a crowded highrise. Or spend $1500 a month to live with someone else.
Not everyone is like me. But also not everyone wants to live in Clarendon.
I'm only in my 30s so hopefully I don't offend you too, but I concur loads of young people live in Arlington and DC. Dare I say more live there than in Reston/Fairfax/Loudoun? Not everyone is the same but what ChristineVA said is true for lots of 20 somethings so it's a valid point. Most people aren't touting Arlington as the be all/end all but when young people from other areas ask where is a good place to go out and meet people, obviously Arlington and DC will come up. We never went to Reston Town Center in our 20s. It was always Arlington or DC. Not everyone in their mid 20s likes to go out and party/socialize, but if you do you'll end up there most of the time.

OP, Falls Church City could be a good compromise for you. Like I said in my previous post, shoot for being near the intersection of route 7 and 29. I lived there for a good part of my late 20s/early 30s and it was a great area. Nice walkability to some restaurants/bars/breweries. You'll still end up in Arlington a lot probably if you're trying to socialize but you'll be much closer and you'll have stuff to do near you when you don't feel like making the trip.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 PM

3,872 posts, read 5,319,350 times
I'm old and grey and can barely walk to the mailbox alone but I'll add that my late 20s daughter and her fiancé love the Mosaic District. Lots of restaurants, movies etc., and close to get into DC pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or