Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:44 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Ah--OK, I think I follow now. It's an urban street, and you're outta town. You come back, and all the spots are cleared and occupied by either cars or lawn chairs. I guess in that scenario, the only option is to park somewhere farther away until the snow melts.
Why would there be "clear" spaces farther away? There has just been a blizzard. Is "farther away" Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 03:02 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
ppfft. you try to tell someone in Pittsburgh his lawn chair don't count and see what happens

Old 01-29-2016, 03:35 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why would there be "clear" spaces farther away? There has just been a blizzard. Is "farther away" Florida?
I guess in that case, the person should ask his/her neighbor or family member to clear (and then reserve) their spot while they're gone. I realize it's not a perfect system, but I think the flaws in a "free for all" approach are greater and affect more people.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:02 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I guess in that case, the person should ask his/her neighbor or family member to clear (and then reserve) their spot while they're gone. I realize it's not a perfect system, but I think the flaws in a "free for all" approach are greater and affect more people.

You have a neighbor that would have shoveled out a space for you? I wish I was so popular and likable.....

Old 01-29-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You have a neighbor that would have shoveled out a space for you? I wish I was so popular and likable.....
Haha--I wish! Just operating within your theoretical scenario. It's like the final test exercise in Starfleet Academy: an unwinnable situation.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:30 PM

447 posts, read 742,799 times
Default What is it with cars and people?

It seems like people have this sense of entitlement when owning a car. An almost territorial instinct.

Examples:
1) When someone cuts you off, and suddenly you feel this urge to swear at them and flip them off.
2) When your trying to park a car and someone accidentally parked to close to the line making
it difficult to squeeze your car in. You become disgusted.
3) When you shovel your car out, and someone later takes your public spot. Your fuming mad!
4) When someone in front of you is driving too slow, you give them an evil stare as you pass them!
5) When people accidentally leave their brights on and then you turn your brights on in a rage! (two wrongs don't make a right here)

Relax people. We are all human and imperfect and the automobile doesn't make it so.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:30 AM

There's a difference between a sense of entitlement and an expectation that we all play by the same rules.

Also, it would be equally infuriating if people were just as oblivious/inconsiderate while on foot--but they know that would result in confrontation. People are a lot more polite in person than in their cars. (That said, I've come close to mowing down Millennials who are walking toward me head-on, with their nose buried in their phone. Look where you're f--ing going! That's up there with covering your mouth while coughing and flushing the toilet.)

But you have a point re. road retribution.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:02 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
I've often said that driving is one of the few activities you can do where you are almost completely anonymous. Really, you're more anonymous in a way than even posting on message board like this. If you cut someone off or blow your horn or whatever, you are highly unlikely to ever see or interact with that person again. Your true character shines through. And, unfortunately, for many people, their true character is very ugly.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:20 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
It seems like people have this sense of entitlement when owning a car. An almost territorial instinct.

Examples:
1) When someone cuts you off, and suddenly you feel this urge to swear at them and flip them off.
2) When your trying to park a car and someone accidentally parked to close to the line making
it difficult to squeeze your car in. You become disgusted.
3) When you shovel your car out, and someone later takes your public spot. Your fuming mad!
4) When someone in front of you is driving too slow, you give them an evil stare as you pass them!
5) When people accidentally leave their brights on and then you turn your brights on in a rage! (two wrongs don't make a right here)

Relax people. We are all human and imperfect and the automobile doesn't make it so.
You're blaming cars for the actions of inconsiderate people?

1. The person cutting you off put your life in danger. It's not the car.
2. Person parks his car over the line. Driver's fault, not the car's.
3. The car did not take the spot (self driving cars are not yet out there)
4. The car did not choose to block the left lane. The driver did.
5. The question on this one is: was it truly accidental?

The inconsiderate drivers are always the cause of any anger. The car itself is nothing.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:02 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Do you support saving your parking space with a lawn chair or cones? https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5ce_story.html

Since I wouldn't want my car vandalized, I respect the lawn chair.

Yes, but I come from a place that actually has a winter regularly. Most cities support holding a spot for 48hrs after a storm, just long enough to clean up. Although, that doesn't really apply to VA since they never clean anything up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia