Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:01 AM

8,821 posts, read 15,277,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisNameTaken View Post
Really? From what I read on other posts I would think anything under six figures would be down right impossible in this area. My salary is a bit a higher than OP and I almost had a panic attack thinking I wouldn't be able to afford to live out here.
Where is "here" specifically?

Seriously? A panic attack? For an individual salary? The new hires where I work (county school district), make $48k with a BA/BS and $52k with a MA and I think that's doable. Someone with fifteen years experience is in the $72k range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 09:24 AM

23 posts, read 26,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Where is "here" specifically?

Seriously? A panic attack? For an individual salary? The new hires where I work (county school district), make $48k with a BA/BS and $52k with a MA and I think that's doable. Someone with fifteen years experience is in the $72k range.
Northern Virginia. I just mean I was stressed thinking I wouldn't be able to find a place that I could afford.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:27 AM

23 posts, read 26,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
It depends what your priorities are. The OP is young and hasn't expressed a desire for an expensive car, home, lifestyle. It is an expensive area but, IMO, a lot of people make it much worse than it has to be because they care about status. My colleagues are appalled that I choose to live where I do. I value my 10 minute commute more than I would a spendy house in the outburbs. It's all about choices.
I just graduated college and I am staring my first job in NoVa so we have similar backgrounds. I guess it depends on who you ask. It is obvious though that money doesn't go quite as far in NoVa than it does in other places with a lower cost of living. But I agree it does depend on your priorities I don't believe there is any one size fits all solution.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:36 AM

449 posts, read 1,390,626 times
Totally agree. That amount is quite a bit starting out for anyone anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingwash View Post
Unless you have a wild spending spree, I don't see any reason why you would not be able to live on that. (Many people do it on much less!).

Old 01-31-2016, 10:01 AM

8,821 posts, read 15,277,968 times
Quote:
Northern Virginia. I just mean I was stressed thinking I wouldn't be able to find a place that I could afford.
I understand.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:01 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,307,384 times
Quote:
Really? From what I read on other posts I would think anything under six figures would be down right impossible in this area. My salary is a bit a higher than OP and I almost had a panic attack thinking I wouldn't be able to afford to live out here.
I don't know, I haven't seen many posts like that. Maybe it was a family of 4 or 5 asking how much they needed to make. Could be tight for a large family making under 100k around here but an individual with no kids can live on far less.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:21 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,283,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I don't know, I haven't seen many posts like that. Maybe it was a family of 4 or 5 asking how much they needed to make. Could be tight for a large family making under 100k around here but an individual with no kids can live on far less.
I agree. Mostly it's families posting about how they have 2 kids and want great schools and 3 bedrooms etc. That's a whole different ball game from a single guy who may just rent a basement apartment. I also think that people tend to freak out less when a single guy rather than a single woman wants to live in a sketchier area. Just an observation.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:32 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,517,239 times
A lot of the posters on the DC forum are always scaring people about the COL.

For $2000 you can afford all the necessities in the DC area:
Small no-frills Apartment-$1400 (can be found even in Metro-accessible parts of Arlington)
Electric: $50
No-frills Cable/Internet: $50
Groceries: $200
Health Insurance: $200
Cell Phone: $100

If you have a car, add about $300. If you have student loan payments, add about $200.

Of course, some people are prima donnas and spend $3k on a penthouse at the most luxury apartment building in Arlington and then wonder why they're broke...

Old 02-01-2016, 07:17 AM

232 posts, read 360,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I agree. Mostly it's families posting about how they have 2 kids and want great schools and 3 bedrooms etc. That's a whole different ball game from a single guy who may just rent a basement apartment. I also think that people tend to freak out less when a single guy rather than a single woman wants to live in a sketchier area. Just an observation.
Agree. Think the challenge is when a family is moving here and has a very high wish list (SFH, big yard, best schools, certain neighborhood) but need to do it all with a low unrealistic budget. Everything is a compromise, is price cap a higher priority than location? Is school district a higher priority than commute time?

I know people that live in WV (Martinsburg area) that work in DC. They choose the low cost of living but have the major trade off of LONG commute.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:40 AM

9,865 posts, read 14,059,203 times
[quote=gomason;42848924]

For $2000 you can afford all the necessities in the DC area:
Small no-frills Apartment-$1400 (can be found even in Metro-accessible parts of Arlington)
Electric: $50
No-frills Cable/Internet: $50
Groceries: $200
Health Insurance: $200
Cell Phone: $100

[quote]

If you are only bringing in $2000 per month, you CANNOT afford the above. You've paid electric, what about water or possibly gas? The above doesn't include a car, but it also doesn't include any transportation costs (Metro ain't free). It also doesn't include any savings or emergency fund. And, god forbid, you may ever want to buy a shirt or a pair of shoes or a birthday gift for your mom. There isn't any money for any of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia