U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:57 AM

23 posts, read 14,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt003e View Post
I live just north of the hospital (Willowsford off of Evergreen Mills). There are plenty of homes in that price range in surrounding developments with a short commute to the hospital. I think all of the schools zoned to these developments (Willowsford, Brambleton, Broadlands, LV, etc.) are good, although some will change boundaries a few times over the next few years as new schools are built out. In the morning a commute from my neighbor hood to the hospital is less than 10 mins (mostly b/c you bypass the backups southbound on Belmont Ridge @ Evergreen Mills)
Rezoning in the newer neighborhoods is something I hadn't thought of. Thank you for bringing that up. I guess if ww find ourselves having a preference for a particular school we should try to park ourselves near it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 PM

Tt003e. I never thought about the possibility of rezon8ng schools in the newer developing neighborhoods. That's an extremely important point. I guess if we find ourselves wanting a particular school we need to plant ourselves near it.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Sorry I posted similar responses twice. It wasn't showing up for me then suddenly I made the same point twice. Oops.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:46 PM

504 posts, read 1,022,818 times
Do consider airport noise (on the days airplanes take off to the west) if you think west of IAD such as Brambleton.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:54 AM

504 posts, read 650,221 times
Here are some areas to think about:

Stone Ridge (Aldie, VA 20105) is a nice community literally right across the street from the Stone Springs Hospital. It is zoned to Champe High School.

South Riding (Chantilly, VA 20152) is similar to Stone Ridge but larger and is located just east of the hospital. It is zoned to Freedom High School.

There are also a number of new construction communities very close to the hospital, such as Lenah Mill, which I believe are mostly zoned to Champe and are worth looking at.

You will have an extremely short commute from either of these areas.

Stone Ridge and South Riding are both planned communities with a ton of amenities and events. South Riding probably has a bit more since it is larger. With your budget you will have a lot of great options for newer, large (over 3000 sqft) houses with numerous upgrades and amenities. Champe and Freedom are both good high schools with extensive AP programs and almost all college bound students. Redistricting is not an issue at Freedom since South Riding is built out and is probably unlikely for Stone Ridge, although it could occur in some of the newer communities west of Champe HS. As you pointed out I believe both are a 7 on great schools although this can change a bit since the rankings there are based on test scores.

If "8 or higher" on great schools is a must, then you can go farther east into Chantilly HS or north into Briar Woods HS areas. The homes in Chantilly HS will be a bit older ('80s) but still nice and fairly good size. Briar Woods has a lot more recent construction and several nice planned communities such as Brambleton (Ashburn, VA 20148). You'll still have a lot of great options in your price range but will face a longer commute to Stone Springs.

If being in one of the highest test score high schools is your main criteria, some of the schools to look at include Langley and McLean (both in McLean, VA) and Madison (Vienna, VA). These schools are in great areas but your money won't go nearly as far because people pay a huge premium to be in these areas for a shorter commute to the main job centers in Tysons Corner, Arlington, and DC. Although you will have a reverse commute, it will be greater than 30 min, especially if there is any type of weather.

Here is a link to a thread about SAT scores in Northern VA. As you can see the rankings by SAT score don't always line up with Great Schools which uses state tests. Also, note that the national average score is 1462 and the state average is 1523 and nearly all schools in Northern Virginia exceed these by quite a bit. 2015 NoVa SAT Scores

Hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:10 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,629,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAsurgeon View Post
Rezoning in the newer neighborhoods is something I hadn't thought of. Thank you for bringing that up. I guess if ww find ourselves having a preference for a particular school we should try to park ourselves near it.
Sorry, even that's not a sure thing. Walkers in my part of Brambleton were rezoned out of Briar Woods High School. You could try to back right up against school property, but don't be across the street if the street is a major artery.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:34 PM

Shamrock847, All aspects of your post were incredibly helpful! I always wished there could be a "Star Trek" transporter to take me from home to the hospital . What you describe in regard to the mentioned Aldie and Chantilly communities sounds like the next best thing. I love that.

I wasn't aware that "good grades" was based on state exams only. I am not a fan of how schools work since no child left behind began. What ever happened to teaching kids to understand rather than how to pass a test? But I digress. I am very excited about your comments in regards to SAT scores and the proportion of kids who are college bound. My stress level has just decreased exponentially!!!

For completeness sake, do you have any comments on Ashburn, Leesburg, and Haymarket? I realize they are a little further (worse for me), but maybe you know of some aspects of these areas that might be better for my wife and kids. If you don't see any benefit to those areas, I know where I will be heading with the real estate agent later this month. Thank you again for this excellent information! I truly appreciate the time you put into creating this very informative response.

cdmurphy, I guess I will have to check and double check before I make a final decision. Thanks for the warning.

lqda4, Would this be a major issue in Chantilly and Aldie given they are a bit south?

Old 02-08-2016, 05:12 AM

504 posts, read 1,022,818 times
Quote:

lqda4, Would this be a major issue in Chantilly and Aldie given they are a bit south?
Aldie should not have any issue.

We have friends in Brambleton and the jet noise is a lot worse. Planes usually take off/landing in north-south direction but it seems like they also routinely take off to the west (over Brambleton). During stormy weather when strong crosswind is present, they will land from the east over 20171 area but that's fairly infrequent.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:16 AM

Thank you for the follow up. My wife and I will be in NOVA on Feb 25 to 28 checking things out. As this will likely be the last house we buy, noise is an important factor in our decision!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:40 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,724,527 times
Quote:
Shamrock847, All aspects of your post were incredibly helpful! I always wished there could be a "Star Trek" transporter to take me from home to the hospital . What you describe in regard to the mentioned Aldie and Chantilly communities sounds like the next best thing. I love that.

I wasn't aware that "good grades" was based on state exams only. I am not a fan of how schools work since no child left behind began. What ever happened to teaching kids to understand rather than how to pass a test? But I digress. I am very excited about your comments in regards to SAT scores and the proportion of kids who are college bound. My stress level has just decreased exponentially!!!

For completeness sake, do you have any comments on Ashburn, Leesburg, and Haymarket? I realize they are a little further (worse for me), but maybe you know of some aspects of these areas that might be better for my wife and kids. If you don't see any benefit to those areas, I know where I will be heading with the real estate agent later this month. Thank you again for this excellent information! I truly appreciate the time you put into creating this very informative response.

cdmurphy, I guess I will have to check and double check before I make a final decision. Thanks for the warning.

"Better" is a subjective term and only your family can answer that. Northern VA is VERY family friendly, loads of activities, sport clubs, etc and most schools are good so it really boils down to neighborhood preference and of course commute and budget. Since your kids range in age I would make a point to check out neighborhoods when schools let out.

If you check out Haymarket, you would most likely look at Dominion Valley. Please be aware that Battlefield HS (like most Prince William County HS) is over capacity. Honestly, if I had a child going into HS, I would be taking a look at the specialty programs the schools offer. Driving down Route 15 is not ideal, but certainly doable, but it wouldn't be the short commute you want.

Personally, I would choose something off the Fairfax County Parkway since you can get to so many places quickly and more easily than living west of 28. Of course living in the South Riding area would make your work commute a breeze so it depends on where you want your trade offs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia