Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:06 AM

948 posts, read 3,347,056 times

Advertisements

I have a friend coming in and can't pick her up--wondering which is the cheaper way to go for an evening pick up (Thursday). Personally, I've found uber to be pricey when I've taken it during the day, but also have had a cabby that didn't seem to know where they were going, so looking for suggestions here. Appreciate all input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:12 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,301,716 times
Uber usually seems cheaper to me. And typically more convenient. The only downside I've heard is the insurance aspect. If you're injured in a car accident in an Uber cab not sure you'll get anything from them because of the way the company is structured, whereas a cab company should have some liability coverage that would kick in but maybe that's not true.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 AM

857 posts, read 835,517 times
Is there no way to get a quote for each and then go with the cheaper option? Also, what about taking the metro, at least part of the way? Methinks the latter would cost less.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 AM

808 posts, read 1,675,073 times
I would lyft line. You'll get a set price and you'll know what it is before you get in the car, and there is a good chance you won't actually have to share the car, and it'll still be cheaper.

I HATE riding in cabs. The cars are old, they often smell like a giant ash tray on wheels, because that's what they are. Questionable stains and all around dirty.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:05 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,508,225 times
There are definitely a lot of Uber drivers that get lost so dont think thats just a cab issue.

Arlington Red Top has an app so you probably compare prices beforehand.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,413,607 times
There's not going to be any real difference for such a short trip, maybe $5 - what is it like a ten minute drive?

I would open Uber (or Lyft) when walking to the front of the airport and if there's one nearby and it's not surcharging it'll be cheaper/faster. However, if the closest driver is eight minutes away and there's a 2.4x surcharge....off to the taxi stand I go.

Cheapest option would be to metro to Courthouse if you live within walking distance. It's like $2.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:00 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,750,533 times
If they're flying in, just walk outside and grab a cab. If she has a smart phone, give her your address and she can Google map while the cabbie drive

Old 02-03-2016, 06:16 PM

349 posts, read 1,427,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
The only downside I've heard is the insurance aspect. If you're injured in a car accident in an Uber cab not sure you'll get anything from them because of the way the company is structured, whereas a cab company should have some liability coverage that would kick in but maybe that's not true.
Many cab companies structure themselves into numerous subsidiaries to avoid liabilities and exposure of assets. It's not just Uber doing it.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:18 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,434,383 times
If she's leaving from DCA, I'm not sure she has an option - she may have to stand in the cab line. (I know at Dulles I was told I had to take a certain cab - maybe one can get Uber etc. if Uber is permitted to pick one up at another point, e.g., like a family member). But as others have said, that is a short ride - but would be much more than $5 - I would estimate it at $18-20 plus tip. I live nearer the airport than Courthouse is, and pay no less than $10 including tip, for cabs. Rides from the airport in cabs have a flat fee (maybe $2.50) to start with, and this is added to the fare.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:32 AM

707 posts, read 1,398,956 times
I've seen people get picked up by Uber drivers all the time from DCA . You just walk across the road to
the second median and they pick you up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: