Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 06:06 PM

23 posts, read 22,003 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a surgeon from PA planning to relocate to NOVA. There is a position available at your brand spanking new Stone Springs Hospital that I find very appealing. I would like to live close to the hospital (I currently have a 1 hour trip to and from work at rush hour and 30 min in the middle of the night- I am tired of that). I would appreciate any advice on a wonderful neighborhood that would get me to the hospital quickly (hopefully less than 20-30 min. during rush hour), and also offer my 3 children (currently in K, 5th, and 8th grade) an excellent education. I have been looking at homes online in Ashburn, Chantilly, Haymarket, Gainesville, Leesburg and others that seem very nice, but am hoping for some experienced opinions.

In addition, my reviews of the schools in the area are mixed. One source will say 10/10 for a given school while another gives that same school a 5/10. This is starting to stress me out. If I was already committed to this position, there is a home in the west side of Chantilly that my wife and I love. It is 4.5 mi (9 min away per google maps) from the hospital. The elementary and middle schools are rated highly but the High School (Freedom High) gets a 7 on greatschools.org. That's not terrible but I prefer better if possible (like Chantilly High on the east side of Chantilly). Yes, I realize that there are private schools, but they are quite expensive and I would rather save that $ for college.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 08:01 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,317 times
I think you need to look at the big picture and not just a single rating. Chantilly gets an "8" on greatschools, so I would do a deeper dive.

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

You don't mention budget, but for comparison sake I would take a look at Oak Hill. 20171 zoned for Oakton HS, Rachael Carson MS.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:15 AM

Thank you for the info. When I come to visit I will be visiting the schools as well and doing exactly what you suggest. Looking at a range between 700k and 1M max.
Of course, if I can get all I'm looking for for 700 I would by very happy with that. Is it reasonable to think any of the neighborhoods I have mentioned and Oak Hill would get me to work in less than 30 min at rush hour?

Old 02-05-2016, 08:46 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,317 times
So this is a new hospital on Route 50/Gum Springs area? Personally, I've known a lot of people that lived in South Riding and the surrounding area and with your budget, I would not choose to live there. Not that's there anything wrong with it, just personal preference. The traffic on 50 is PITA and on 606.

If you lived in 20171 it's pretty easy to cut through to Centreville Rd and then Route 50. All the traffic during rush is going the opposite direction.

I live in the Bristow/Haymarket/Gainesville area and would not recommend due to your desire to be under 30 minutes

Old 02-05-2016, 08:49 AM

Fantastic information. Thank you middlin!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:20 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
Yeah if you want a pretty easy commute, look in Ashburn, Centreville, and Chantilly. What exactly are you looking for? Single family home or townhouse? How many bedrooms?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:24 AM

66 posts, read 71,716 times
I live just north of the hospital (Willowsford off of Evergreen Mills). There are plenty of homes in that price range in surrounding developments with a short commute to the hospital. I think all of the schools zoned to these developments (Willowsford, Brambleton, Broadlands, LV, etc.) are good, although some will change boundaries a few times over the next few years as new schools are built out. In the morning a commute from my neighbor hood to the hospital is less than 10 mins (mostly b/c you bypass the backups southbound on Belmont Ridge @ Evergreen Mills)

Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
There's some really nice developments not too far from the hospital. I would look there first, that part of 50 gets super congested during rush hour so I wouldn't look too far out.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,654 times
A part of 20171 goes to Oak Hill ES, Franklin MS and Chantilly HS as well. 20171 is probably your best bet if you want to stay in FF county and on the east side of Rt. 28.

For HS from zip code 20171, Chantilly is more convenient (longer ride to Oakton with traffic/routes). Until your kid drives, daily after class rides to school for activities will get old fast.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:53 AM

Thanks all for the great tips. I am looking for a single family home. 4+br, 5 up to 6k sq ft including basement (finished or unfinished doesn't matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia