Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 06:16 AM

3 posts, read 2,750 times

Advertisements

I am moving to VA (prince william county) this month from IL and am looking into the registration process. My main question is about the emission and safety tests.

I own a 2015 vehicle, which was a new purchase in January 2015. Will I have to get the safety and emission testing done still?

Any other general advice? From what I read, I would need to pay an independent shop to do both before I can register the vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,004 times
If your IL stuff is still valid you are good until it expires. Best option is to pony up the $44 and get your emissions/state inspection switched over to VA since you will have to do it anyway when your IL stuff expires (if it was jan 2015 probably close to it if not already expired).

Yes it is ridiculous racket that a brand new vehicle needs a safety inspection.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:59 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird68 View Post
I am moving to VA (prince william county) this month from IL and am looking into the registration process. My main question is about the emission and safety tests.

I own a 2015 vehicle, which was a new purchase in January 2015. Will I have to get the safety and emission testing done still?

Any other general advice? From what I read, I would need to pay an independent shop to do both before I can register the vehicle?
I have a 2015 vehicle and the inspection was a snap. Just don't go at the end of the month.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 AM

529 posts, read 750,660 times
I bought a brand new vehicle and dealer wouldn't give me the license plate without the safety inspection sticker.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:09 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird68 View Post

As it's been said VA will accept your out of state Safety/Emissions for up to a year, but not having that wonderful 1970's looking sticker on the middle of your windshield will attract attention with cops once you put VA plates on it. May be Easier in the end to just do it ahead of time. You can get that done with your IL plates still on there. I've found it's a lot easier to just go to dealerships than the smaller shops. Dealerships can usually get you in and out and have nice waiting rooms. Smaller shops make excuses about being busy. It's also a huge thing for places to tell you there no time and that you must make an appt, VA Law states that inspections are first come first serve! I've had to remind places of that more than once, funny how there's time for you once you tell them that. Mid month is the most sane. Beginning and end is a disaster.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:43 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
You get your Va. Safety Inspection once a year. Emissions is every 2 years. DMV will notify when it's due, when you get your new tag application.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:41 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
As it's been said VA will accept your out of state Safety/Emissions for up to a year, but not having that wonderful 1970's looking sticker on the middle of your windshield will attract attention with cops once you put VA plates on it. May be Easier in the end to just do it ahead of time. You can get that done with your IL plates still on there. I've found it's a lot easier to just go to dealerships than the smaller shops. Dealerships can usually get you in and out and have nice waiting rooms. Smaller shops make excuses about being busy. It's also a huge thing for places to tell you there no time and that you must make an appt, VA Law states that inspections are first come first serve! I've had to remind places of that more than once, funny how there's time for you once you tell them that. Mid month is the most sane. Beginning and end is a disaster.
They take out-of-state emissions inspections. If you have Virginia plates, you MUST have a Virginia safety inspection on the windshield.

PS: You must not have been around in the 1970's. The current inspection sticker is positively chic compared to those of the 70's and earlier. They alternated between green and bright yellow with a huge black numeral denoting the month (the year was punched out with a hole punch). Last but not least....the safety inspection was due TWICE a year. (but it was only two dollars!)

Old 02-11-2016, 11:09 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,180 times
I always thought it was useless for relatively new cars to need the safety and emissions inspections. I think it would make sense to exempt cars less than 5 years old. I suspect a miniscule percentage of failed inspections involve newer cars. But such a sensible change will never happen because these inspection fees are a goldmine for auto shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia