U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,074 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a new townhome in ashburn in the loudoun valley area (although still thinking whether new townhome will have additional premium over say 10 year old in this area). There are few new construction that are around 530K for 3100 sq/ft townhome near loudoun county parkway south of 267. I work in tysons corner so I will have to commute daily.

1) I am considering in terms of the price is this a typical cost of the townhomes in that area or is that a high price to pay? I am also thinking in terms of the re-sale value in future would it be difficult to sell it considering there is lot of new construction going on.

2) In terms of the commute how much time it takes to reach Tysons corner from that area. I may have to add the cost of toll as well. Is it a reasonable commute? Do people use public transportation to tysons corner (Metro seems still few year away).

3) Also considering between the loudoun and fairfax, are the home prices cheaper in loudoun compared to fairfax, especially considering the area around loudoun valley or brambelton to the fair lakes area in fairfax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 09:30 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,657,864 times
If you take the greenway/toll road your commute won't be bad but it'll be very expensive. As far as price that sounds about right but you can look at previous sales in that area and determine if it's priced well. As far as resale value I don't think it's nearly as strong out there because of all the new construction constantly going up. You could get a townhouse in Tysons for that price, but it would be old(1970), and probably more like 2000 sq feet with no garage. If resale value is important to you I'd consider looking closer especially since you work in Tysons, but the place wouldn't be new & shiny.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 5,865 times
Taking greenway can be a little pricy, especially for the section from ashburn to sterling-owned by private sector. Not sure if 3100 sqft is the must have for you. Might not be easy to sell with profit since many people will consider single family house with similar size.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:47 AM

3,829 posts, read 2,792,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl2020 View Post
We are looking to buy a new townhome in ashburn in the loudoun valley area (although still thinking whether new townhome will have additional premium over say 10 year old in this area). There are few new construction that are around 530K for 3100 sq/ft townhome near loudoun county parkway south of 267. I work in tysons corner so I will have to commute daily.

1) I am considering in terms of the price is this a typical cost of the townhomes in that area or is that a high price to pay? I am also thinking in terms of the re-sale value in future would it be difficult to sell it considering there is lot of new construction going on.

2) In terms of the commute how much time it takes to reach Tysons corner from that area. I may have to add the cost of toll as well. Is it a reasonable commute? Do people use public transportation to tysons corner (Metro seems still few year away).

3) Also considering between the loudoun and fairfax, are the home prices cheaper in loudoun compared to fairfax, especially considering the area around loudoun valley or brambelton to the fair lakes area in fairfax.

Why do you want to live out in Loudoun County if you work in Tyson's?? Have you considered looking in Fairfax County? We bought in Annandale and the "reverse commute" in that direction is awesome! If traffic is tied up on one route, it is easy to reroute your journey to avoid it. You don't have that luxury out in the "country". We used to live in South Riding and dumped that commute pronto.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:50 PM

170 posts, read 146,108 times
I doubt that the resale value of an Ashburn townhouse would be all that great for the foreseeable future

Old 02-08-2016, 10:46 PM

909 posts, read 931,083 times
Elaborate on your doubts...and what happened to everything around the Vienna station since it was built?

OP's #1 point is resale value.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:08 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,657,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Elaborate on your doubts...and what happened to everything around the Vienna station since it was built?

OP's #1 point is resale value.
If he buys very close to a new metro station his TH could be a good investment as far as resale. But he needs to be close to one. The big issue w resale out there IMO is inventory. Low inventory is one thing that often drives prices up in closer in areas. Out there it's the opposite. Lots of housing inventory due to the constant building.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:26 AM

529 posts, read 546,699 times
Vienna hardly has any room for new construction.

But Ashburn has lot of areas to be developed. More & more homes are going to come to that area.

If you are closer to the proposed metro station, then you might have a good resale and also a good rental opportunities.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:52 AM

3,829 posts, read 2,792,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
Vienna hardly has any room for new construction.

But Ashburn has lot of areas to be developed. More & more homes are going to come to that area.

If you are closer to the proposed metro station, then you might have a good resale and also a good rental opportunities.

Lots of land that is fed by the same clogged roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or