Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 16,893 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Will be moving to Northern VA this summer. I have visited the area for work quite a few times but never lived here. I will be working in Reston but have no idea where to live. The other factor is that I'm in the defense contracting business so job security is a myth - I'd really like to find a spot to live that provides flexibility if I do switch jobs and need to work in a different area of Nova (but likely still in the greater DC/suburbs).

Things I'm looking for:
- Commute under 45 minutes
- Monthly payment (rent or mortage) under 2.5k. I can afford more if it's an amazing opportunity but really trying to keep my monthly expenses down.
- Preferably a single family home - I'm coming from NC and have never lived in a town home before. We have two large dogs so a yard is nice.
- No kids but we plan on having some eventually.
- Sufficient parking, a garage and/or a basement is key. I have a pretty big home gym and need a place to set it up along with my tools / workshop.

Other factors:
- My wife is an aspiring school physical education teacher so ideally it would be in a location where she could find gainful employment
- No idea if I should rent or buy. We own our home in NC and will be renting it out. I can use a VA loan so down payment isn't an issue.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide! A little overwhelming looking at all the options and price ranges when I'm used to the relatively stable and cheap housing market in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 10:43 AM

274 posts, read 348,495 times
Well Reston is an awesome place to live and that is where I would start my search. The only dilemma I find you having is the cost of housing. The $2500 budget will get you a townhouse more then a single family home.

If you are willing to commute about an 1hr as opposed to the 45 minutes, then I would highly suggest Gainesville, Bristow, Haymarket area. You can get single family homes for about $2500 a month for rent and for sale at about 400-450k. This area of PW County is growing with new elementary, middle and high schools projected, so that may open options for your wife.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback Ashley. I would be open to a town home I guess, I just have never tried it before. We just don't want to feel cramped - we have a 2,000+ square foot home right now but it's not an open floor plan and we never go upstairs so we might actually feel like we have more space in a smaller house if it's designed right and has storage for all the stuff we've accumulated. I have been pretty spoiled by my current commute (10 minutes) so I just don't know how I'll deal with a long one!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:09 AM

Oh I know. We are military and were stationed in GA prior to coming to VA. We had a 10 minute commute with a 4 bedroom home on an acre for under 200k. The positive is Northern VA is awesome with tons of things to do. The increased cost of living does take some getting use to, but crazy enough you do adjust some how.

Here are a few examples of decent options in Prince William County
8108 TALL TIMBER DR, GAINESVILLE, VA 20155 | MLS PW9539606 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Haymarket, VA Homes For Sale | MRIShomes.com

Old 02-13-2016, 11:11 AM

JfromReston always has good advice on Reston! I am sure he will comment in soon.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
I recommend that you start by looking at rentals in Reston. This will give you time to consider if this is the right place for you. You should be able to find good townhouse options in your price range. With your dogs, I would look for options that are close to the Reston trail system
https://www.reston.org/portals/3/Wha.../RSA_Map_2.pdf
Here are a few options to check out.

11115 TIMBERHEAD CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX8763247 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2364 SOFT WIND CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9561508 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11614 NEWBRIDGE CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9551894 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2046 GOLF COURSE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9568131 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Let me know if you have any specific questions about Reston.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:38 PM

Thanks J. I'm surprised by how spacious and affordable all those townhomes are. I am leaning towards renting at first while we learn the area.

Ashley that house you posted is absolutely beautiful and the kind of place that I think would make a longer commute worth it.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:46 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
mrespoon,

I'm glad that you are considering giving renting in Reston a try to get to know the area. The Warf is a very interesting neighborhood - people often float around the pond in the summer months. It is also very close to the Walker Nature Center - a great place to walk your dogs.

Before you consider commuting all the way to Gainesville for a bigger house, you may want to look in the Ashburn/Leesburg area. Bigger/new houses than in Reston and half the commuting headache of Gainesville.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 PM

Yep renting is not a bad choice especially because there are so many options in places to live. The only caveat to that is Interest rates are still super low. When you are talking a 400-500k house a higher rate of .5-1% makes a difference.

When you come for house hunting have your Realtor show you options and homes in multiple areas rent and buy. So you get a full sense of what is out there.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it! Very excited to finally live in an area with culture, nature and activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia