U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 4,700 times

Advertisements

Background: 28 year old, Single, currently living and working in Crystal City. Looking to potentially buy a 2 Bed 2 Bath condo instead of rent.

The reason I want a 2 Bed 2 full Bath is because I'd like to rent out the second bedroom to help offset the condo HOA fees and property tax.

Does anyone have any experience purchasing and living in a condo in the following places:

5831 Quantrell Ave, Alexandria - I think it's called Seasons Condominium?

301 BEAUREGARD ST, Alexandria - I think it's called Fountains 301?

517 ARMISTEAD ST N, Alexandria - I believe it's called Saxony Square?

Lofts Condominium - 301 REYNOLDS ST., Alexandria

I don't exactly want to buy a townhouse, as I feel the townhouses in these areas are not worth their exorbitant prices - cheapest one I've seen was $385k for a 1300-sq ft townhouse.

And I'd rather own my own property than to continue renting. So condos I feel would be the most economical - in terms amount of space per dollar spent. Plus I don't want to live too far away from work. A 15-20 minute commute max is ideal.

Anybody have experience living in the above buildings who can shed light on whether or not they'd make good places to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 02:57 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,146,997 times
I'd check the crime reports - I know Quantrell Ave. comes up ALOT!!

Old 02-13-2016, 06:39 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,817,249 times
I think you need to go back and reread the last thread. There was some good advice there.

Landmark Mall is not a nice area and the home prices are reflective of this. You won't save any money over renting buying a 50 year old condo in a crap neighborhood.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:51 AM

153 posts, read 119,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost NoVA View Post
Background: 28 year old, Single, currently living and working in Crystal City. Looking to potentially buy a 2 Bed 2 Bath condo instead of rent.

The reason I want a 2 Bed 2 full Bath is because I'd like to rent out the second bedroom to help offset the condo HOA fees and property tax.

Does anyone have any experience purchasing and living in a condo in the following places:

5831 Quantrell Ave, Alexandria - I think it's called Seasons Condominium?

301 BEAUREGARD ST, Alexandria - I think it's called Fountains 301?

517 ARMISTEAD ST N, Alexandria - I believe it's called Saxony Square?

Lofts Condominium - 301 REYNOLDS ST., Alexandria

I don't exactly want to buy a townhouse, as I feel the townhouses in these areas are not worth their exorbitant prices - cheapest one I've seen was $385k for a 1300-sq ft townhouse.

And I'd rather own my own property than to continue renting. So condos I feel would be the most economical - in terms amount of space per dollar spent. Plus I don't want to live too far away from work. A 15-20 minute commute max is ideal.

Anybody have experience living in the above buildings who can shed light on whether or not they'd make good places to live?
Contrary to the above posters, Landmark is not a crap neighborhood. With that said, the area is generally considered less desirable than surrounding areas because it's quite congested with considerable socioeconomic diversity. Crime is generally confined to a few problem apartment complexes.

I suspect that condo values in Landmark do not appreciate as fast as in other neighborhoods. I also suspect that the condo developments in the area have a higher than average number of renters. If I were you, I would do my research before buying into any specific community. Finally, you don't mention a budget. You might be able to afford something in a more desirable area -- even if it means sacrificing on size.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:04 AM

23,554 posts, read 33,276,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff22152 View Post
Contrary to the above posters, Landmark is not a crap neighborhood. With that said, the area is generally considered less desirable than surrounding areas because it's quite congested with considerable socioeconomic diversity. Crime is generally confined to a few problem apartment complexes.

I suspect that condo values in Landmark do not appreciate as fast as in other neighborhoods. I also suspect that the condo developments in the area have a higher than average number of renters. If I were you, I would do my research before buying into any specific community. Finally, you don't mention a budget. You might be able to afford something in a more desirable area -- even if it means sacrificing on size.
If you are going to live in the Landmark area, preferably you would stay to the East side of 395 instead of the West since the buildings on the East side of 395 are probably in better shape. I would not live on the Armistead St/Quantrell Ave condos since that area seems to have more crime and the buildings look like they've seen better days.

6300 STEVENSON AVE #510, ALEXANDRIA, VA 22304 | MLS AX9546425 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

I don't know if this is in your price range but I can vouch that this building is mostly updated and has security on site and a guaranteed garage spot (parking is a big problem in the Landmark area.)

Old 02-14-2016, 12:53 PM

9,126 posts, read 4,255,835 times
I wouldn't consider Landmark a bad area. Some decent apartment complexes. Convenient location. And nearby one of my favorite neighborhood bars Shooter McGee's.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:47 PM

5 posts, read 4,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'd check the crime reports - I know Quantrell Ave. comes up ALOT!!
I just checked the Crime Reports map on spotcrimes.com, and it looks like the area right next to the mall, where 301 Fountains is located, has been relatively free of any crime within the past year; nearest incidence of a crime to that condo building was a case of vandalism.

The unit I'm looking at at 301 Beauregard St. is also a split level condo, where there's a living and dining area on one floor, and then the 2 beds and 2 baths on a second floor above. Oh and there's also a nice half bath for guests on the first floor, which I think is a plus.

Anyone have experience living in 301 Fountains? The high HOA fee is the main thing that's giving me some pause... that and the drive to work and back home from Crystal City on 395 during rush hour...

The commute shouldn't be TOO awful should it?

Last edited by Frost NoVA; 02-16-2016 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or