Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:16 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,279,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I've been on these boards a lot longer than you and have not seen what you are claiming in your short time.
We likely have very different views of what racism is. People claiming that their property values are going to go down because of Indian people moving to your community, I would consider racism.

I wasn't saying that it is only on here. My good friend has experienced racism as a South Asian man in Fairfax County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 08:05 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,347,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Thanks. Where does the term "desi" specifically come from?
The word "des" means "land" in the ancient Indian language of Sanskrit, and is also used in Hindi and Urdu - refers to the land of the Indian subcontinent, back when there was just India in South Asia.

"Desi" means "someone native to the land"

The word is also used for Pakistanis, Nepalese and Sri Lankan folks.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqbals View Post
We are planning to move to Virginia from NJ.We had a very good community here but not sure how Ashburn area.I heard there is racisim in schools and my daughter is going to 8th grade and my son will in 5th grade.Is it true that Ashburn schools show such problems on students.I wanted to know some open informations before making a decision.Thanks
I can't say for sure, although Ashburn has a massive Indian and Pakistani presence, including in the schools, so I doubt that there would be any major, recurring issues.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
We likely have very different views of what racism is. People claiming that their property values are going to go down because of Indian people moving to your community, I would consider racism.

I wasn't saying that it is only on here. My good friend has experienced racism as a South Asian man in Fairfax County.
I personally have not, but I know of a few fellow South Asians that have faced racist slurs and such here.

There's good and bad people and racist people everywhere, NoVa cannot really be an exception in that regard.

Generally speaking though, the diversity here is pretty damn solid and it is a very welcoming area for all.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 AM

9,863 posts, read 14,003,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
The word "des" means "land" in the ancient Indian language of Sanskrit, and is also used in Hindi and Urdu - refers to the land of the Indian subcontinent, back when there was just India in South Asia.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:24 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,627,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What is "desi"?

I thought it was fans of the great Desi Arnaz....of which I am one! He had a great band prior to the Lucy stuff.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 AM

9,863 posts, read 14,003,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I thought it was fans of the great Desi Arnaz....of which I am one! He had a great band prior to the Lucy stuff.

You are aging yourself quickly!

I wonder what percentage of millenials would know who Desi Arnaz is without Googling?

I'd guess less than 2%, maybe 5% if you mention "Lucy", and maybe 15% if you mention "Lucille Ball".

Old 02-26-2016, 12:53 PM

25 posts, read 48,609 times
There is no racism in our schools. You are welcome here.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:12 PM

529 posts, read 746,206 times
There is a good amount of Indians presence in Ashburn area.
So, you should be fine. If this was a problem, then Indians would be avoiding that area.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:17 AM

28 posts, read 31,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post

I'll be darned--did not know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia