U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-29-2016, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,555 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Reputation: 5564

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I really dont care about this thing -- America is the wild west to most of the western world unfortunately (cant tell you how many Europeans have asked me if their life was at risk visiting) but Libby Garvey is about as right wing as the County Government gets so I would definitely say she's speaking for the entire board or at least a majority.




Seriously? Do you go to Europe and stand on corners announcing you are from violent America? I'll bet I'm considerably older than you, have traveled all over the world, and have never had the first European ask me if their life was at risk visiting.


Exaggeration maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-29-2016, 06:13 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA from Arlington, VA
2,770 posts, read 2,686,517 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Seriously? Do you go to Europe and stand on corners announcing you are from violent America? I'll bet I'm considerably older than you, have traveled all over the world, and have never had the first European ask me if their life was at risk visiting.


Exaggeration maybe?
No it's not an exaggeration. I actually lived in Europe for a little bit, so no I didn't stand on a street corner.


I actually just had a roommate from England that lived with me a year ago. He told me how the perception of America is the Wild Wild West. Being a hockey fan, I have many Canadian friends who will say things like, "At least our country doesn't have psychos running around killing everyone." (These are just anecdotes)


It's probably hurting our economy. Having everyone else thing our country is full of psychos running around shooting other people isn't luring people here for tourism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 06:13 AM
 
945 posts, read 663,794 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Seriously? Do you go to Europe and stand on corners announcing you are from violent America? I'll bet I'm considerably older than you, have traveled all over the world, and have never had the first European ask me if their life was at risk visiting.


Exaggeration maybe?
I am a gun owner, but what he says isn't without merit. There are some criminals who specifically target foreign travelers because they know for sure that those travelers won't be armed. I remember a specific case in Miami Beach a few years back. The criminals knew that the foreign travelers wouldn't shoot them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Cheektowaga, NY
883 posts, read 603,574 times
Reputation: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I actually just had a roommate from England that lived with me a year ago. He told me how the perception of America is the Wild Wild West. Being a hockey fan, I have many Canadian friends who will say things like, "At least our country doesn't have psychos running around killing everyone." (These are just anecdotes)
That speaks to the ignorance of those people more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 AM
 
2,185 posts, read 2,645,690 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Seriously? Do you go to Europe and stand on corners announcing you are from violent America? I'll bet I'm considerably older than you, have traveled all over the world, and have never had the first European ask me if their life was at risk visiting.
That's probably an exaggeration that they think their lives are in danger. Although if they only catch news stories involving the inner city crime maybe they think all of America is violent and dangerous. They definitely think we're cowboys though. We don't do much to dispel the stereotype unfortunately. I remember being in Germany about 5-6 years ago for Oktoberfest and I was watching a Monday night football game at some bar. It was Jets vs Patriots, and of course a couple of guys from New York or Jersey got into a fight. The Europeans were just rolling their eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 09:50 AM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,618,430 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
The statement you posted is not from the entire County government but from one elected official--the chair of the County Board, Libby Garvey. Try to read more closely next time.
I did. You, on the other hand, were apparently trigger-happy.

The letter is posted on the county board web site with an invitation to "Read the County Board Letter regarding the Gun Retail on Pershing Dr.," signed by Libby Garvey in her capacity as Chair of the Arlington County Board, and replete with references to what "we" think.

I mean, you can go around wearing a "Not My Board" button if you want, but to draw any inference other than that Garvey is speaking on behalf of at least a majority of the Arlington County Board is, at best, willfully obtuse.

Last edited by JD984; 02-29-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 10:58 AM
 
Location: The South
3,886 posts, read 5,338,543 times
Reputation: 2744
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
That's probably an exaggeration that they think their lives are in danger. Although if they only catch news stories involving the inner city crime maybe they think all of America is violent and dangerous. They definitely think we're cowboys though. We don't do much to dispel the stereotype unfortunately. I remember being in Germany about 5-6 years ago for Oktoberfest and I was watching a Monday night football game at some bar. It was Jets vs Patriots, and of course a couple of guys from New York or Jersey got into a fight. The Europeans were just rolling their eyes.

Yeah because there's never been a brawl over soccer or rugby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 11:00 AM
 
Location: The South
3,886 posts, read 5,338,543 times
Reputation: 2744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I am a gun owner, but what he says isn't without merit. There are some criminals who specifically target foreign travelers because they know for sure that those travelers won't be armed. I remember a specific case in Miami Beach a few years back. The criminals knew that the foreign travelers wouldn't shoot them.
So tourists are never targeted in Europe or South America? Who knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 11:33 AM
 
2,185 posts, read 2,645,690 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Yeah because there's never been a brawl over soccer or rugby.
So because you saw a brawl break out at a soccer game it proves what? I don't know how anyone who's spent time in Europe could argue they aren't more well behaved, especially when drinking. All you have to do is go to a big drinking event like Oktoberfest and compare it to a big drinking event in the states. The difference in amount of fights and generally awful behavior is night & day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 PM
 
945 posts, read 663,794 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
So tourists are never targeted in Europe or South America? Who knew.
What is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top