Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 08:23 AM

17 posts, read 15,786 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

Now, on to the business...I will be starting a new job here in NOVA next month, and I do not know much about taxes. My employer want's to know the following information:

Will I be living in the work state? (NO)
Marital Status? (Single)
Work State Exemption for Tax Withholding (Exempt or Non Exempt)
Work State Withholding Allowances (____)
Work State Additional Withholdings ($___)

By the way, I'm a 22 y/o male and I've been in the military for the past few years. Filing my taxes has been simple thus far. I do understand that as I'll be living in DC I will have to pay them taxes, and working in Virginia I maybe having to pay them as well. What should I put? Would I be exempt from VA taxes?

Anyways, thanks~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 08:26 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
You are exempt from Virginia taxes. You will pay DC taxes. Your employer will have a form to exempt you from VA taxes, just tell them.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:36 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,004 times
You only pay taxes in DC where you live. Have your employer send your withholding to DC.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:26 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytheman View Post
I do understand that as I'll be living in DC I will have to pay them taxes, and working in Virginia I maybe having to pay them as well. What should I put? Would I be exempt from VA taxes?
VA, MD and DC have reciprocity agreements since so many people around here live & work in different jurisdictions so you only have to file/pay taxes in your home state, even if you work in another of those 3.

Normally you do have to file and pay taxes in the state you work, as well as your home state. And then you get a credit back on your home state's return. We had to do that when my wife traveled for work. Major PITA

Old 03-01-2016, 09:50 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,024 times
As the last poster mentioned, VA/MD/DC all have reciprocity so you can work in one state and live in another and just pay tax to the state in which you reside. Most people don't understand that you have to pay taxes to the state in which you WORK unless there is reciprocity agreement within those states.

Having said that, please be aware, in order for your employer to withhold and pay your taxes to DC, they, the employer must have applied and received an account number in order to report/pay the taxes they withhold for DC residents. Some small businesses don't do this (why they don't is beyond me since administratively it's not a big deal) and only want to deal with the state in which they are located. If this is the case then you're stuck and would have to have VA withheld and file returns in both states and get your $$ from VA and pay DC.

Typically the employer would see you are resident of DC and give you a W-4 for federal and a DC withholding certificate to fill out.

I would assume you don't itemize, aren't married and have no dependents so claiming 1 (yourself) you should be fine

Old 03-01-2016, 11:08 AM

17 posts, read 15,786 times
Thanks all!

Old 03-02-2016, 08:57 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
Odds are you'll probably pay more in withholding than you really need to and will get a refund each year. If that bothers you, you can fill out a worksheet at IRS.gov (see instructions to W-4) and DC's website that may calculate a higher exemption. Honestly, unless you are making a ton of money and invest aggressively, it is probably not be that big of a deal overall since interest rates are so low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia