Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:38 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,669,675 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a charity that donates dress clothes to men looking for jobs? I want to make sure it goes to someone truly in need and not a profit-making venture.

I looked up Dress for Success, but they only take women's clothing. I got rid of all mine years ago.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 11:45 AM

18,922 posts, read 11,516,629 times
What about purpleheart organization for veterans? They will even pick up donations.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
What about purpleheart organization for veterans? They will even pick up donations.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at their website, they sound legit. I'd heard of them but know there are questionable groups out there claiming to help veterans. Maybe I'll give them a call.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:09 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,277,984 times
It looks like there are several options including:
Strive DC Career Gear
Career Gear | STRIVE DC | Prepared to work determined to succeed
Christ House
Martha's Table

They all accept men's clothing including suits.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:10 PM

18,922 posts, read 11,516,629 times
Re: purpleheart pickup. For what it's worth, I've used them before - so have friends - in multiple states. And I've known people who benefitted from the organization. I don't know all their stats/ratios but they seem legit.

Anyway, I wouldn't steer you wrong on purpose - you told me about the hospital dining facility when I first got to Belvoir

Old 03-06-2016, 02:12 PM

15,103 posts, read 27,546,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Does anyone know of a charity that donates dress clothes to men looking for jobs? I want to make sure it goes to someone truly in need and not a profit-making venture.

I looked up Dress for Success, but they only take women's clothing. I got rid of all mine years ago.

Thanks for any info.
PM sent.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,856,694 times
I bring all nice clothes sheets and blankets to [url=http://www.thelambcenter.org/]The Lamb Center[/url] in FFX City

Old 03-06-2016, 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 03-06-2016, 04:17 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,396,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

Thanks for any info.
ALL Charities are "profit making ventures". You donate clothes to goodwill. It then gets sold at retail to make the system money. Goodwills big thing is employing people who otherwise can't get jobs whether being from a disability, work history etc. They also do a lot of private collections for other charities, obviously for a percentage. EVERY SINGLE charity works this way. People need to collect the stuff right? Which means collection centers, trucks carrying it around, fuel going into the trucks, electricity in the buildings paperwork and tax receipts being made which means accountants and CPA's at the larger level. Charity or not that requires MONEY! Same goes with car donations (I used to puck them up) they get picked up, you get a receipt and the tow truck brings it straight to the junkyard to get crushed. Beat up cars don't help kids. But money from scrap metal does!

I understand what your trying to say and that you want to directly effect somebody with your donation, but that's not how it works with the exception of stopping a homeless person on the street and giving them clothes or food.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:25 PM

16,341 posts, read 12,294,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
ALL Charities are "profit making ventures". You donate clothes to goodwill. It then gets sold at retail to make the system money. Goodwills big thing is employing people who otherwise can't get jobs whether being from a disability, work history etc. They also do a lot of private collections for other charities, obviously for a percentage. EVERY SINGLE charity works this way. People need to collect the stuff right? Which means collection centers, trucks carrying it around, fuel going into the trucks, electricity in the buildings paperwork and tax receipts being made which means accountants and CPA's at the larger level. Charity or not that requires MONEY! Same goes with car donations (I used to puck them up) they get picked up, you get a receipt and the tow truck brings it straight to the junkyard to get crushed. Beat up cars don't help kids. But money from scrap metal does!

I understand what your trying to say and that you want to directly effect somebody with your donation, but that's not how it works with the exception of stopping a homeless person on the street and giving them clothes or food.
That's not necessarily true. Dress For Success, for example, collects the clothing to then give to women trying to interview and enter the professional workforce. The donations go directly to the people who need them. The OP was basically looking for the male version of DFS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: