Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:38 AM

17 posts, read 15,796 times

Advertisements

Good morning all!

As I am very excited to finally be moving into my own place (never had one before) I would like some advice or suggestions on places to live. I know area's like Arlington, Alexandria, and DC would be possible areas, but I'd like some insight from people who've actually been to the area before. A current co-worker of mine has suggestions like EOS-21, Sterling, Lorton, Alexandria, Springfield, Van Dorn St.

I am 22 years old, and I'm hoping she isn't suggesting places who are more family oriented...or boring might I add. I would like to live some place NICE, and close to people, action, and fun. I hope you don't think I want to live on the wild side...but ya know...anyways.

I've accepted a job recently (located in McClean). I'll be on a $82,000/yr salary so I believe I might have some room to budget with rent and what not. I was looking at apartments, as well as condo's. From my knowledge rent would cost more than a mortgage...

I'm all ears. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 08:07 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytheman View Post
Good morning all!

As I am very excited to finally be moving into my own place (never had one before) I would like some advice or suggestions on places to live. I know area's like Arlington, Alexandria, and DC would be possible areas, but I'd like some insight from people who've actually been to the area before. A current co-worker of mine has suggestions like EOS-21, Sterling, Lorton, Alexandria, Springfield, Van Dorn St.

I am 22 years old, and I'm hoping she isn't suggesting places who are more family oriented...or boring might I add. I would like to live some place NICE, and close to people, action, and fun. I hope you don't think I want to live on the wild side...but ya know...anyways.

I've accepted a job recently (located in McClean). I'll be on a $82,000/yr salary so I believe I might have some room to budget with rent and what not. I was looking at apartments, as well as condo's. From my knowledge rent would cost more than a mortgage...

I'm all ears. Please help!

You are your and single, going to be working in McLean, and your co-worker suggested Lorton????? UGH. Do not pay any attention to him anymore.

What is your actual budget for rent and are you open to roommates?

Old 03-11-2016, 08:16 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
All of the places your coworker suggested are family-oriented and will be mostly a snoozefest for someone who is looking to be close to the action.

Start by renting in Arlington (or even DC, if you dont mind a slightly longer commute to McLean) and get roommates, they will help introduce/socialize you to the area, if you are a newcomer here.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You are your and single, going to be working in McLean, and your co-worker suggested Lorton????? UGH. Do not pay any attention to him anymore.

What is your actual budget for rent and are you open to roommates?
Ehhh, I wouldn't mind spending $1,600/ month on a place. That's only if the place is extremely nice. With that price in mind, if I can find something nice, and CHEAPER I'd definitely feel like I walked away with a win in that case. I don't really like roommates either. I've had one for the past 4 years. I'm looking to be alone this time around.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:40 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Since you are working in Mclean I assume you have a car so I would check out S. Arlington given your $1600 no roommates budget. You are still in Arlington and pretty close to the action, but avoid paying the massive premium to live directly on the metro line (those places are $1900+). Good way to meet people is to pick an adult activity you like and join a league (soccer, softball, kickball, etc).

Google columbia pike rent and you'll see the kinds of places I mean (2200, 2121, wildwood, etc). Less than 10 miles to Mclean so not too bad. Another option would be a place close to/north of 66 (something like potomac towers or nearby).

Old 03-11-2016, 08:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
What is EOS-21? Yeah those places your co-worker suggested aren't great for someone in their early 20s looking to be near the action. With the exception of some parts of Alexandria which aren't bad. I know some people on here get annoyed that Arlington comes up so often but that area has the best nightlife in Virginia and based on what you're looking for is probably your best bet. It's also very close to DC when you want to go into the city. It is also one of the priciest areas for those same reasons but you should be able to afford it on your salary

Old 03-11-2016, 09:05 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
What is EOS-21?
It's an apartment building in Alexandria, right by the Landmark Mall. Not recommended for a young professional

Old 03-11-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
What is EOS-21? Yeah those places your co-worker suggested aren't great for someone in their early 20s looking to be near the action. With the exception of some parts of Alexandria which aren't bad. I know some people on here get annoyed that Arlington comes up so often but that area has the best nightlife in Virginia and based on what you're looking for is probably your best bet. It's also very close to DC when you want to go into the city. It is also one of the priciest areas for those same reasons but you should be able to afford it on your salary
EOS-21 is a cheaper apartment complex located on Van Dorn St. I currently live on Fort Meade, MD which is close enough for me to travel to the area to actually check out the places. I plan on leaving early Saturday morning so I can spend the entire day in the area checking out places. It would just be cool for me to get some focal points so I don't waste time driving around.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:41 PM

74 posts, read 81,816 times
Congrats on your new job and your move! Based on your age and where you will be working I would definitely suggest staying on the west side of 395/95 and closer to Arlington, Falls Church and Fairfax. There's a great place on the boarder of Falls Church/Fairfax called the Mosaic District - great bars and restaurants. Would make your commute short. Clarendon and Ballston are the hot spots for the 20 something crowd but it can get pricey so a roommate may be a great option.

Watch out for some apt complexes as they like to charge additional monthly fees on top of the rent amount. Make sure to ask up front about those.

Best of luck to you! If you have questions or need help - feel free to reach out to me: www.homesforallva.com.

Cheers,
Jamie

Old 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Can I ask: what did you major in that landed you such a great starting salary (parents of college students would like to know!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia