Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 01:10 PM

100 posts, read 130,814 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to do a maternity photo shoot and would like some cherry blossom backdrop. Could you please recommend some venues that are NOT in DC (Tidal basin, Jefferson memorial etc). We are worried about the crowds and are open to Northern VA or Maryland.

I work in DC and it doesn't appear the trees have blossomed yet, the Cherry Blossom Watch calls for peak bloom between March 18-23, seems so early this year!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 01:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Just curious, did you even attempt to Google this?

Cherry Blossoms 2016 in DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Old 03-15-2016, 01:32 PM

100 posts, read 130,814 times
Hi yes, I googled and saw some options in VA/MD. Just reaching out to see if there may be any that are not popular or well known, maybe some hidden gems.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriex333 View Post
Hi yes, I googled and saw some options in VA/MD. Just reaching out to see if there may be any that are not popular or well known, maybe some hidden gems.
Gotcha. So I completely wasted my time answering your post, as you apparently already had that information. Please be more specific next time, and let people know exactly what you were looking for. If you wanted "hidden gems", ask for that.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:47 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Gotcha. So I completely wasted my time answering your post, as you apparently already had that information. Please be more specific next time, and let people know exactly what you were looking for. If you wanted "hidden gems", ask for that.
He's always angry, dont worry Cherriex. Are there no trees in your neighborhood? They are all over the suburbs.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:58 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,837 times
thud. sound of spencgr killing the internet instead of killing the planet.

Try Mt Vernon or take a road trip the the Blue ridge and take a picture in front of a Redbud.
Are you a photographer or are these your own pregnancy pics?

Old 03-15-2016, 11:36 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,943 times
Quote:
What is wrong with you?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:23 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
It's not just the cherry blossoms that are out. Check out the local pear blossoms. Fredericksburg/Stafford/Spotsylvania take GREAT pride in their pear blossoms. Fburg even features a giant pear drop for New Year's Eve downtown.

If you google Pear Blossom Virginia the result will be 99% sleazy real estate huckstering but you will find some lovely photo op locations (without the crowds). Pear blossom time in Virginia has been treasured since Colonial times.

Last edited by ersatz; 03-16-2016 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: typo fix

Old 03-16-2016, 07:28 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriex333 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to do a maternity photo shoot and would like some cherry blossom backdrop. Could you please recommend some venues that are NOT in DC (Tidal basin, Jefferson memorial etc).
Quote:
Just curious, did you even attempt to Google this?
Cherry Blossoms 2016 in DC, Maryland, and Virginia
Quote:
Gotcha. So I completely wasted my time answering your post, as you apparently already had that information.
It's your own fault that you chose to waste your own time. The OP did not ask anyone to research for her. She asked for recommendations. You clearly didn't have any, and had to resort to Google. You should have just skipped replying.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:14 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
Cherie

Followup reply to my earlier post. Looking at your original post - I what think you want is maximum guaranteed gorgeousness with minimum crowds.

If you want the best opportunity in the local area with the least hassle, you need to check out the National Arboretum. US National Arboretum * * * *:. The NA has many theme plantings among rolling hills and some of them are set against river views to achieve the most awesomeness. And, yes, the NA has lots of cherry trees.

In the NoVA forum, we are supposed to be all about the Northern Virginia boosterism, but the NA in Maryland is one of the loveliest locations in the greater DC region. Their site link above will tell you what's in peak bloom each week. I've been out there many times and each visit features an unexpected delight. NA is in a very dicey area so be careful and aware of your surroundings if traveling on public transit (as I do).

The National Arboretum is extremely popular so you need to make sure that you are near the front of the line when it opens so you can nail the best photo ops before the biggest crowds arrive.

Last edited by ersatz; 03-16-2016 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: grammar fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia