Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:02 AM

771 posts, read 1,453,192 times

Advertisements

Reston Town Center is nice, but I feel like its location (practically an exurb of Washington), the numer of businesses in the town center and the large amount of competition it receives from other shopping areas in Nova (such as Tysons, the Dulles Town Center, Leesburg, Fair Oaks, Loudoun One, etc) all make me feel that Reston doesn't have enough clout yet to start charging people for parking without negative consequences. Sure, now that the metro is going to be nearby they may get more commuter traffic, but Tysons has the same problem and if Tysons isn't charging people to park there, Reston has no business doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 04:32 PM

946 posts, read 1,392,934 times
OK CD-ers, get your barf bags ready for some more glorious corporate BS from Boston Properties re paid parking at Reston Town Center (per a story today on the Reston Now website):

https://www.restonnow.com/2016/08/19...#disqus_thread

To quote Rob Weinhold, whose official title is "Boston Properties' spokesperson for mobile pay parking and mobile safety communications programs" (aside: how does he fit that title on his office door?):

"Beginning on Monday, September 12, those who patronize the Reston Town Center will experience two state-of-the-art technologies accessible through free downloadable apps to enhance their living, working, and shopping experiences."

Editorial comment: BARF!

He continues to prattle on about "RTC's world-class customer experience" and then offers the coup de grace:

"Boston Properties wants to do everything possible to enhance customer convenience, safety, and overall experience through mobile paid parking and safety applications."

Editorial comment: BARF! BARF!

Nothing like charging for something that used to be free, and having to download an app that's set to suck up all sorts of your personal data and raises serious privacy concerns for an "enhanced experience".

There's been a lot of excellent coverage of this whole issue on the Reston Now website. One of the best reader comments was from someone who pointed out that it took four in-depth stories on Reston Now just to explain how the parking system works.

As for me, to paraphrase Michael Corleone's memorable line to his brother Fredo, "RTC, you're nothing to me now."

Old 08-22-2016, 02:18 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,456,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Reston Town Center is nice, but I feel like its location (practically an exurb of Washington), the numer of businesses in the town center and the large amount of competition it receives from other shopping areas in Nova (such as Tysons, the Dulles Town Center, Leesburg, Fair Oaks, Loudoun One, etc) all make me feel that Reston doesn't have enough clout yet to start charging people for parking without negative consequences. Sure, now that the metro is going to be nearby they may get more commuter traffic, but Tysons has the same problem and if Tysons isn't charging people to park there, Reston has no business doing it.
They had something on this on the local news last week or the week before.

They interviewed people on the street. One lady said that she would be charged to park at RTC to shop at the same exact store and buy the same exact item as she would at Tysons and not be charged to park.

I thought this was a great point.

I used to love RTC but now it is too big and I do not like it as much. It just grew out of what it was and is not enough to be what I think it wants to be.

Also the traffic has ruined it. Yes, I complain a lot. Good luck RTC.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 AM

9,732 posts, read 9,685,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I've never understood this term "fake downtown". It's an area with a mix of residential, office and commercial establishments with the occasional event thrown in. I don't understand why this is fake. I live near Old Town Manassas and find parts of it quaint. Is this a "real downtown" because it's old?
I guess it does not qualify as a "real downtown" unless it has rapes, muggings, and bums sleeping in the alley.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:01 AM

2,251 posts, read 2,367,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I guess it does not qualify as a "real downtown" unless it has rapes, muggings, and bums sleeping in the alley.
um, it doesn't qualify as a real downtown because it is essentially an upscale shopping center with high rises in a suburban town.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:08 AM

9,732 posts, read 9,685,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
They had something on this on the local news last week or the week before.

They interviewed people on the street. One lady said that she would be charged to park at RTC to shop at the same exact store and buy the same exact item as she would at Tysons and not be charged to park.

I thought this was a great point.

I used to love RTC but now it is too big and I do not like it as much. It just grew out of what it was and is not enough to be what I think it wants to be.

Also the traffic has ruined it. Yes, I complain a lot. Good luck RTC.

Driving to Tyson's is not free. This reminds me of the stories about people who would drive a few miles out of town to save 2 cents on a gallon of gas.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Driving to Tyson's is not free. This reminds me of the stories about people who would drive a few miles out of town to save 2 cents on a gallon of gas.
Driving to RTC is also not free.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:50 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,278,818 times
Quote:
RTC and Tysons aren't 40 miles apart. We aren't comparing RTC to the Annapolis Outlets. What an odd argument.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 PM

52 posts, read 63,378 times
Doubtful that complaining about it on a forum that Boston Properties doesn't read is really going to do much good. Also doubtful that they didn't perform the due diligence in researching what the market would bear before deciding to implement paid poarking.

Aside, I'll bet that as many people swear that they won't shop at RTC when paid parking is implemented, that just as many will shop there just because they don't want to deal with Tyson's Corner or for whatever reason. It costs money to go out, even if you're just looking--it's just that one may cost more than the other. Whether it's pennies or dollars doesn't really make a difference.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluef250 View Post
Doubtful that complaining about it on a forum that Boston Properties doesn't read is really going to do much good. Also doubtful that they didn't perform the due diligence in researching what the market would bear before deciding to implement paid poarking.

Aside, I'll bet that as many people swear that they won't shop at RTC when paid parking is implemented, that just as many will shop there just because they don't want to deal with Tyson's Corner or for whatever reason. It costs money to go out, even if you're just looking--it's just that one may cost more than the other. Whether it's pennies or dollars doesn't really make a difference.

Different strokes for different folks.
I am not sure what your point is? I read this forum and now I know they will charge for parking and that will affect my decision to go. I found this post useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia