U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 04:29 PM

813 posts, read 1,105,394 times

Advertisements

By the time this is all finished, Boston Properties' introduction of paid parking at Reston Town Center is going to rank right up there in the annals of public relations disasters with the New Coke fiasco of 1985.

I will grant that BP has the right to do what it wants, but its double-speak about how this "enhances the RTC experience" is such a load of transparent BS. Interesting that the corporate mouthpieces they've hired are from the Fallston Group, which according to its website is a firm that "specializes in crisis and issue management consulting".

BP has said that they're charging to park because commuters are using the garages, and apparently some RTC residents w
ho have more cars than their building's allotted parking spaces have also been parking there. Both issues might be legitimate concerns, but there are ways BP could handle them without charging everyday patrons of RTC. If commuters are using the garages, open them to the public at 9:45 or 10:00 AM when just about everyone has left for work. If residents are parking there, offer them a permanent space at a very reasonable monthly rate.

In addition to the petition against paid parking that's gathered more than 8,500 signatures, there have been numerous comments on local web sites from people who say they will stop going to RTC due to the paid parking. Some of it is the principle of the thing; some of it is because the parking app is apparently a major headache that also sucks up all sorts of privacy-invading information. No doubt some of the comments about boycotting RTC are pure bluster, but I suspect the great majority are not. The local website Reston Now has had more than a few comments, for example, from people who work near or at RTC who have said they have now shifted business meetings and lunches/dinners out of RTC so as to not inconvenience their clientele with the hassle of paid parking. The Reston Runners group, which numbers about 1,000 members, has said it is shifting the starting/ending point of all its races out of RTC, meaning that RTC eateries that picked up a lot of post-race business are losing out. Speaking personally, we have a friend at the Bechtel office opposite RTC who has invited us out to RTC, but from now on we'll be going elsewhere.

It's all about corporate greed, plain and simple. Boston Properties may think RTC is the cat's meow, but in reality they're changing it into the cat's litter box.

Last edited by ICS67; 01-07-2017 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 04:56 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
It's all about corporate greed, plain and simple.
Yes, that is probably true. But when was the last time you drilled down into your 401k corporations and told them they were making too much money?

Old 01-07-2017, 07:24 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
You people clearly don't realize the tremendous value Boston Properties is providing here. I remember when the new condos next to the Accenture building opened, they called that area "Midtown". So I felt wonderfully privileged when I could then still park for free near the Upper West Side Panera, and under the wonderful protection of that guy in a security guard shirt carrying a walkie-talkie. And then the nightlife across town at Jackson's. All those middle aged guys talking about their mortgages and yes, there's even a woman in there. Sure she's working behind the bar, not sitting at it, but really is a romantic setting at that outdoor patio with a view of the parking garage.

Of course you have to pay to park at a special place.
I miss living in Reston. It was the most cosmopolitan place I ever lived, and I gladly paid ~$1,300/month for the privilege of living in a 1970's-era 1-BR apartment within walking distance of such fine cultural venues as Macaroni Grill, Jackson's, and Clyde's. Now that the mall with really tall buildings is charging for parking it can turn into a "real city" someday!

Old 01-08-2017, 01:36 PM

4,229 posts, read 2,115,333 times
Speaking of Jackson's and of course the Lucky Lounge, they've been handing out 2-hour parking vouchers almost as freely as they did advice to vote NO on the meals tax.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:00 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Speaking of Jackson's and of course the Lucky Lounge, they've been handing out 2-hour parking vouchers almost as freely as they did advice to vote NO on the meals tax.
I went to RTC for lunch yesterday. After parking, I entered my zone in the app. It just said, "There is no charge for parking in this zone at this time. Thank you for checking." Perfectly willing to pay, but didn't have to.

Last edited by spencgr; 01-08-2017 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 02:42 PM

4,318 posts, read 2,242,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I went to RTC for lunch yesterday. After parking, I entered my zone in the app. It just said, "There is no charge for parking in this zone at this time. Thank you for checking." Perfectly winning to pay, but didn't have to.
It's free on the weekends. I went today and the place I went (Mon Ami Gabi) explained that in order to validate you:

Must park in the Orange Garage (above Jackson's)
Must not park on the street (only free on Sunday)

Street parking is $3/hr and garage parking is $2/hr

Seems like they have a pretty confusing system going there.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:47 PM

And so it begins -- the first business to announce it is leaving Reston Town Center because of the paid parking.

https://www.restonnow.com/2017/01/09...-over-parking/

The Bike Lane, which has been in RTC for nine years, is now actively looking to relocate elsewhere within Reston. Its owner, Todd Mader was quoted as saying, "This is not the experience we want our customers to have, to come in here during the week and have to battle with a parking app."

It was also interesting to read Mader's observation that, "There is a noticeable drop in the plaza during the week. Friday night was dead in the restaurants and in foot traffic."

Let's see if this is the start of a trend.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:52 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,095,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It's free on the weekends. I went today and the place I went (Mon Ami Gabi) explained that in order to validate you:

Must park in the Orange Garage (above Jackson's)
Must not park on the street (only free on Sunday)

Street parking is $3/hr and garage parking is $2/hr

Seems like they have a pretty confusing system going there.
The only-validate-for-the-garage is pretty normal. I don't know of any businesses that validate for street parking anywhere.

Requiring a particular garage when they're all so close together seems silly though.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:41 PM

In case anyone's interested, here's the latest about the Reston Town Center paid parking fiasco.

According to the Reston Patch website, more than 60 merchants in RTC -- all of them except for the Hyatt, which has its own parking garage -- are meeting next week to discuss filing a lawsuit against their landlord, Boston Properties, because of the paid parking system enacted at the beginning of January. According to the article, merchants have seen their business fall by 10 to 50 percent since paid parking began. I guess all those statement by local residents saying they were boycotting RTC weren't idle threats.

Merchants to Discuss Lawsuit Against Reston Town Center Over Parking on Monday - Reston, VA Patch

Can't wait to see how Boston Properties and its PR crisis management mouthpiece Rob Weinhold are going to try to spin this.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:08 PM

2,282 posts, read 5,570,810 times
So a year later and I am searching for free parking near RTC as I am going to the latest store that is having a store closing sale. I'll try the orange lot. But this store is the only reason I am going there. Tysons, where I normally go, is 20 minutes away (I never take the toll road- I shop off rush hours, light traffic, super fast and easy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia