Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:40 AM

947 posts, read 1,397,191 times

Advertisements

Paid parking starts today at the Reston Clown Center. Can't wait to see how this is going to play out in terms of customer resistance to going there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 05:25 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,513,016 times
When the first malls in LA started charging for parking, people screamed and yelled, but eventually got used to it. Around here, people pay for parking at Pentagon City and National Harbor, not to mention downtown DC, Bethesda, Old Town, Silver Spring, etc.

Besides, for Boston Properties, the real money's in the office towers rather than the shops -- they own 13X more office space than retail space in Reston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Also the traffic has ruined it.
"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Old 01-05-2017, 05:42 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,874,525 times
omg did you see the thing RTC is gonna plaster your window with for 'Serial No Payers'?

[url]https://www.restonnow.com/2016/08/12/rtc-parking-101-what-happens-if-i-refuse-to-pay/[/url]

Old 01-05-2017, 06:47 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,056,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
omg did you see the thing RTC is gonna plaster your window with for 'Serial No Payers'?

https://www.restonnow.com/2016/08/12...refuse-to-pay/
Many of the commenters of this article expressed OUTRAGE at this device. I don't see what the big deal is. If you chose to steal from the garage owners repeatedly by not paying for parking, why would someone be upset if they chose to (essentially) boot your car (but with another device)?

I'm curious as to what people think should be a better punishment?

Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM

15,409 posts, read 25,722,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Many of the commenters of this article expressed OUTRAGE at this device. I don't see what the big deal is. If you chose to steal from the garage owners repeatedly by not paying for parking, why would someone be upset if they chose to (essentially) boot your car (but with another device)?

I'm curious as to what people think should be a better punishment?
A better idea would be free parking again.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
A better idea would be free parking again.

ok, you are against paying for parking there. That's fine. You can certainly voice your opinion by choosing not to go there.

But since it is a paid parking facility now, you aren't advocating stealing parking as an option? Or no penalties for stealing parking?

Old 01-06-2017, 04:29 PM

15,409 posts, read 25,722,081 times
Quote:
ok, you are against paying for parking there. That's fine. You can certainly voice your opinion by choosing not to go there.

But since it is a paid parking facility now, you aren't advocating stealing parking as an option? Or no penalties for stealing parking?
I'm advocating against them stealing our money, not the other way around.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm advocating against them stealing our money, not the other way around.
Stealing your money??? They have a product (parking garage) and they want to be compensated for you using it. That's stealing????

Boy, the entitlement attitude is pervasive.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:02 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,564,891 times
Quote:
Stealing your money??? They have a product (parking garage) and they want to be compensated for you using it. That's stealing????

Boy, the entitlement attitude is pervasive.
It's not entitlement, it's Reston. The community was founded on natural spaces and open public access for all. Paid parking kind of flies in the face of what most of Reston is all about. Hell I can park in Tysons I or II for free and even walk to the Metro.

I for one will still go to RTC but probably not to places that don't validate.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It's not entitlement, it's Reston. The community was founded on natural spaces and open public access for all. Paid parking kind of flies in the face of what most of Reston is all about. Hell I can park in Tysons I or II for free and even walk to the Metro.

I for one will still go to RTC but probably not to places that don't validate.
You still have open public access for all!! Walking trails, pools, community areas...it's all still there!!! You also still have the right to enjoy every aspect of the shopping area for free. Walk to it. Bike to it. Hovercraft to it. You just cannot any longer park your vehicle there for free.

What people are complaining about is a commercial area......that, by their business plan, decided that they would not charge for parking for a period of time, in order to increase the commercial traffic.

Now, the business model has changed, and they are charging for parking. If you don't want to pay for parking; that is your prerogative...and don't patronize any of the shops in RTC. If so many people do the same, then the policy may change.

But the whiny..."It USED to be free, so it must ALWAYS be free" attitude rubs me the wrong way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia