Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 01:49 PM

64 posts, read 100,837 times

Advertisements

A bunch of co-workers of mine will be moving back to the NoVa area from overseas postings. While talking one of my co-workers mentioned they are looking at houses and everything in his price range is great in the Reston/Herndon corridor but was nervous to buy there because the high school listed for the house location is South Lakes.

Folks here know I'm not a huge fan of Reston, but I understand it's desirability (location, price, shopping). Several other co-workers who also grew up in the area even made faces at the mention of South Lakes.

I understand they have an IB program now, but South Lakes is not even ranked in the top 20 on the US News and World Report for FCPS. While I understand pretty much any school in FCPS is still overall better than most other schools in Virginia as a whole, I'd like to hear from parents of students in South Lakes what they think and feel about it.

My spouse has been talking about when we have to return to NoVa after our tour is over. While he enjoyed living in North Reston, even he's wary of South Lakes. Is the word of mouth reputation true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
I hear lots of good things about South Lakes these days.

The population had been declining in the mid-2000s. FCPS redistricted in 2008 and now the school has an enrollment of over 2400 students, so FCPS will be building an addition there. The school is diverse yet the demographics are stable.

The IB program is considered one of the three most successful in FCPS, along with Robinson and Marshall. There are quite a few students transferring there now from Herndon, Oakton, Westfield and Chantilly (all AP schools) for IB.

Average SATs last year were 1669, according to the College Board, higher than any high school in Loudoun County and well above state and national averages. The school may not have been among the 13 in FCPS that were rated by US News as among the top schools in the state (US News did not rank the other 12 high schools in the county), but the US News methodology is quirky. If a particular group at a school does not test as well as expected in a prior year, the school no longer qualifies for a US News ranking, regardless of how well most students at the school do. For example, a few years ago, Winston Churchill in Potomac and Yorktown in Arlington weren't ranked by US News for that reason, even though they are generally considered great schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia