U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2016, 10:43 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,679 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi,

We are new to this area. I would appreciate if anyone could kindly recommend any good female OBGYN & pediatrician (female) in Arlington/Alexandria area. I'm having a hard time to choose between Virginia Hospital Center or Inova Alexandria to deliver my baby. Any thoughts? It's frustrating to learn about the high C-Section rate at these hospitals. I'm hoping for a normal delivery, that's why it's very important for me to choose a doctor who's also in the same boat.

Also, do you have any recommendation for good pre-school which offers part time program(preferably from 9-noon) in Arlington/Alexandria area?

Thanks so much in advance! I truly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2016, 09:25 PM
 
945 posts, read 663,019 times
Reputation: 955
DC Urban Mom might be a better resource for these questions. FWiW, Virginia Hospital Center is generally considered a better hospital to birth in than Alexandria.

There are many good preschool options in Arlington and Alexandria, but it depends on your criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 04:47 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,679 times
Reputation: 10
FfxData - Thanks so much for your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 06:21 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood, CA from Arlington, VA
2,770 posts, read 2,684,649 times
Reputation: 1550
INOVA Fairfax is more known to be a birthing hospital than INOVA Alexandria, so maybe look there? I don't know about their statistics.

Be happy you have the option of C-section -- the Air Force told my mom they didn't care that her baby was 11 pounds, she's not getting drugs and she's not getting a C-section!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 06:57 AM
 
945 posts, read 663,019 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
INOVA Fairfax is more known to be a birthing hospital than INOVA Alexandria, so maybe look there? I don't know about their statistics.

Be happy you have the option of C-section -- the Air Force told my mom they didn't care that her baby was 11 pounds, she's not getting drugs and she's not getting a C-section!
INOVA Fairfax is a high risk hospital with a c section rate of over 40%. It is not for a normal pregnancy or birth. I'm not saying that they can't happen there, but normal, vaginal deliveries without chemical augmentation are not the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2016, 10:50 AM
 
5 posts, read 2,690 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Mommy View Post
Hi,

We are new to this area. I would appreciate if anyone could kindly recommend any good female OBGYN & pediatrician (female) in Arlington/Alexandria area. I'm having a hard time to choose between Virginia Hospital Center or Inova Alexandria to deliver my baby. Any thoughts? It's frustrating to learn about the high C-Section rate at these hospitals. I'm hoping for a normal delivery, that's why it's very important for me to choose a doctor who's also in the same boat.

Also, do you have any recommendation for good pre-school which offers part time program(preferably from 9-noon) in Arlington/Alexandria area?

Thanks so much in advance! I truly appreciate it!
Pediatric Associates of Alexandria (PAA) is one of the better practices around. You will not have a hard time finding a female pediatrician there.

We delivered our baby via c-section at Inova Alexandria. We never felt "pressured" to have a c-section or that there was some sort of "game plan". We were not "inconveniencing" any doctor or other medical professional by having a 18+ hour labor over a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2016, 10:57 AM
 
5 posts, read 2,690 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
INOVA Fairfax is a high risk hospital with a c section rate of over 40%. It is not for a normal pregnancy or birth. I'm not saying that they can't happen there, but normal, vaginal deliveries without chemical augmentation are not the norm.
You are way out of your league, recommend you stop responding to posts like this. Just some silly examples of your poor analysis:

1. Use of the term "normal pregnancy", which implies c-sections are "abnormal pregnancies".
2. Positive correlation of "chemical augmentation" (a term devoid of scientific basis) and c-sections
3. Conclusion that 40% represents a threshold for a statistical norm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2016, 10:59 AM
 
5 posts, read 2,690 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
INOVA Fairfax is more known to be a birthing hospital than INOVA Alexandria, so maybe look there? I don't know about their statistics.

Be happy you have the option of C-section -- the Air Force told my mom they didn't care that her baby was 11 pounds, she's not getting drugs and she's not getting a C-section!
What's meant by a "birthing hospital"? Inova Fairfax and Inova Alexandria both have L&D. Perhaps you are referring to the fact Fairfax has a NICU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2016, 11:37 AM
 
945 posts, read 663,019 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by keIAbY6OmUcnxI View Post
You are way out of your league, recommend you stop responding to posts like this. Just some silly examples of your poor analysis:

1. Use of the term "normal pregnancy", which implies c-sections are "abnormal pregnancies".
2. Positive correlation of "chemical augmentation" (a term devoid of scientific basis) and c-sections
3. Conclusion that 40% represents a threshold for a statistical norm
It seems like you have a lot of strong feelings about this topic!

1. C-sections aren't pregnancies; they are births. C-sections are normal in the sense that appendectomies are normal. They are routine surgeries performed all over the world every year. They are still surgeries and are not considered the biological norm for birthing even if they are sometimes a medical necessity (like removing an appendix).
2. Epidural analgesia in labor has been linked conclusively with higher rates of c-sections. Here is an NIH journal article that gives a meta-analysis of the data. Does epidural analgesia increase rate of cesarean section?
3. 40% is higher than the national average of 33% and the WHO recommended of between 10 and 15%. WHO notes that "When the rate goes above 10%, there is no evidence that mortality rates improve."

Even ACOG issued a statement saying that the national average was too high and bad for women and babies. Safe Prevention of the Primary Cesarean Delivery - ACOG

Now the numbers for Fairfax likely skew higher on the c-section rates because they are considered a high risk hospital. Statistics are just statistics. They are not a personal insult to your birth experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 AM
 
518 posts, read 782,186 times
Reputation: 447
I would like to recommend the Physicians and Midwives practice. My wife loves them and has great relationships with many of the people working with the practice. They operate out of INOVA Alexandria, have multiple locations in Northern Virginia and are proponents of natural childbirth. Also, both of my daughters were born in INOVA Alexandria and had no problems whatsoever. My first daughter had a stay at their NICU and everything was fine. Both Fairfax and Alexandria have very good birthing centers, so don't let that be a hindrance in your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:19 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top