Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:51 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tireman View Post
Take them to the flea market at the fair grounds on sat or sun, they will tell you what you have, and what their worth, and if you want to sell them they will make an offer... They do it estimate for free... and you can compare their price with other places and see what is the best...

And definetly compare. I have seen people selling and buying at flea markets go for blood price wise very fast. I imagine that this is especially true with collectibles like coins which in which subtleties can make a big difference one way or the other in price wise.

Then factor in that the flea market guys are not a vulnerable to negative feed back as brick and mortar dealers are. It would be best to go to one with a well established, permanent type stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,718,275 times
Whatever you do, don't clean them!

Old 09-15-2016, 08:54 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,128,782 times
My father just passed away. I'm tasked with liquidating about 50 books of coins. He dealt primarily with one coin company in which I looked up and did a little research on. The red flag appeared when some complaints stated that they've been known to clean their coins as a attempt to reclassify them. Also they don't buy coins. Not good as far as I'm concerned. This is going to be a task for sure. Anyone know of a reputable dealer in South Delaware? I'm originally from Fairfax so I might have to travel to unload.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
I've seen similar...

Everyone thinks items are worth a fortune but when it comes time to put up they become silent.

I bought a home and that several family members wanted from an estate and the only way to make it work was the two that expressed interest and making problems had the right to match my offer and nothing.

The good thing about coins is they are small and easily identifiable... for bulk coins... a reputable shop will post their buy and sell daily... at least that's the practice of the local shop here for gold and silver.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:35 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,775,291 times
I know the OP asked his question back in April, so he's probably done looking, but in case anyone else is looking. I wanted to add that we've sold some coins and silver to that coin shop in Vienna on East Street and felt they gave a fair value. We had looked up a particular coin on eBay to see what they were selling for and his offer was not much less and no potential disgruntled customers. We were satisfied.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:13 AM

617 posts, read 1,355,685 times
I may have to deal with this in a few years myself. My uncle is an avid collector and has a pretty large collection. I think he even has a few coins that were part of recoveries from sunken ships, hundreds of years old.

He's also a hoarder, so in addition to the coin collection, there's probably going to be 100 other collections I'll have to sort through.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:34 AM

28 posts, read 32,543 times
I've sold things before at Coins of the Realm in Rockville.

Address: 1331 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852
Rockville Coins, Stamps and Precious Metal Dealer | Coins of the Realm

Good, honest dealer with decent selling prices.

They also buy gold.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:46 AM

35 posts, read 70,741 times
If you are not a coin collector, it can be confusing to decipher what is worth anything or what is worthless. And sometimes doing research yourself might just yield more confusion! My best advice would be take your coins to a place like Penny Pinchers in Fairfax (10409 Main Street, Fairfax, VA 22030) We've gone in there to get our coins appraised. As collectors, we knew what the values were and they were really honest and fair about it so we sold them some of ours. Alternatively, you might want to attend free local coin shows - the dealers that are there are usually nice about helping appraise your coins for free and if it's something they like, they might just make you an offer right there. You can check to see when the next coin show in your area might be at the Virginia Numismatic Association VIRGINIA NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION

Old 09-29-2016, 06:54 AM

9 posts, read 7,552 times
Raleigh North Carolina...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia