Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:29 PM

10 posts, read 15,973 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of looking around NOVA as part of our relocation from Westchester, NY. We found pockets of Reston to be quite appealing with cute communities, good sized yards and nice houses. However, when I signed up for the Reston FB page, all the posts seem to be about the crime. That being said...Can anyone give me some insight on good communities in Reston for a family with 2 boys (1st and 4th grade)? Good schools are a main priority. In particular, class size makes a difference as one is painfully shy and the other is incredibly outgoing/talkative. Both are very bright and get easily bored/distracted if not truly engaged. They have a lot of energy and need a yard -- even better a cul de sac for bike riding. We are willing to spend roughly $850K or thereabouts for a move-in ready home. We've already done the fixer-upper and are not willing to work that hard (or spend the money) this time. A nice, down-to-earth community is important to us. My husband is working in McLean, but I know just from driving through that I don't want to live there. Houses are too big and too much like Westchester. We're looking for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 01:03 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,503,481 times
It's very safe.

You will learn very soon that most people in Northern Virginia have never seen an inner city and exaggerate about crime. Fairfax County is basically the Westchester of the DC area.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:28 PM

946 posts, read 1,392,375 times
Just sent you a direct message on this with a lead you might find useful.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:04 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,223,862 times
I live in the South Lakes area of Reston and love the trails for walking and biking. I have always felt safe. I'm sure your boys will have lots of fun with their bikes on the trails and they will love the choice of swimming pools this summer.

I go to a lot of open houses in the 20191 zip (south of the Toll Road). I went to two houses this past weekend in your price range and thought that both were DRAMATICALLY over priced. If you want more information on my thoughts send me a private message.

I recommend Sunrise Valley Elementary - but there are no houses in your price for sale right now. Nice renovated houses that feed into Sunrise Valley Elementary sell in the high 700's.

This house is in an excellent location.
1414 BELCASTLE CT, RESTON, VA 20194 | MLS FX9614567 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Last edited by JfromReston; 04-04-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 04:09 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,383,163 times
Keep in mind that school redistributing is extremely common in this area. We've owned a house in Purcellville that has been changed too many times to count. It's in the town limits as are an elementary school, middle school and high school. But they're bused to different areas for elementary and middle.

It's even worse closer in.

If yours are in 1st and 4th grades, a lot could change even if your house is close geographically to a certain school. It's all about racial/economic balance/free & reduced meal students/esl etc.

There is an area in Potomac. MD, where students from neighborhood A walk through neighborhood B to get to Wootton HS. But neighborhood B is bused to a different HS several miles away. Not sure if that's still the case but it was in the early 2000s.

There are no guarantees that the schools will remain the same.

Best of luck.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:49 PM

74 posts, read 81,105 times
Congrats on your move to Northern VA! It's a great area. Reston is a safe and family friendly community and it's a great commute for McLean. (I'm currently working with two relocating families who are also interested in the area!) It has an interesting history as the first planned community in the US. When you live in Reston you fall under the Reston HOA and have access to 6 community centers/pools, many parks and trails.

There are good options with your budget. Many of the homes there are of a contemporary style.

Another area to consider is Vienna - also family friendly, good schools and lots of nice homes to choose from.

Feel free to reach out if I can answer additional questions or be of service to you!

Old 04-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesForAllVA View Post
When you live in Reston you fall under the Reston HOA and have access to 6 community centers/pools, many parks and trails.
Reston has 15 swimming pools operated by Reston Association (HOA). Reston Association also supports 50+ miles of trails, many tot lots (children's play grounds), lots of tennis courts, 100+ acres of open space including a nature center.

Here is a map to all the Reston Association facilities
https://www.reston.org/portals/3/Wha.../RSA_Map_2.pdf

Reston also has a Community Center with an indoor pool that is operated by Fairfax County.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:36 AM

10 posts, read 15,973 times
Thanks Everybody, This is a great info. Anybody care to share their experiences in the school system? Class sizes? Engaging? Any info is appreciated.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 PM

9 posts, read 13,629 times
Reston public schools fall under the Fairfax County School District. Historically, Fairfax County schools are some of the best in the country, though they are experiencing a MAJOR budgetary shortfall this year, and so some of the more progressive programs will soon be eliminated. Class sizes are increasing every year. But this is, more or less, not limited to FCPS.

My 11-year-old goes to Hunters Woods Elementary for the Arts and Sciences, which is very highly rated, and also serves as a public magnet school, so there is a lottery every year for families from out of the district who want to attend. It is located in South Reston. My daughter struggled at nearly every school she attended (four in the last 6 years) and she has blossomed there. I can't emphasize enough how much I love her school and her teachers.

The area immediately around the school is lovely, but within a half mile is a sketchier neighborhood around the shopping center. There are pockets of Reston that don't receive as much maintenance or monitoring, and they are more prone to criminal activity. Some may disagree with me, but this is not an area where I feel safe walking, and I'm not comfortable letting my child go outside unattended. Lots of loitering and gang-related tags under the tunnels. And I have lived within inner cities and areas of the country with much higher criminal activity (Youngstown OH, Chicago, and Baltimore), so I'm not crying wolf on this one. The reality is that every town has its safe and unsafe locations. This is near the shopping center, NOT the school. The school, however, is fantastic and the singular reason I stay in the area.

I'm not familiar with the other schools but I know that Lake Anne Elementary in North Reston is also highly rated. You can't really go wrong with Fairfax County schools. For the most part, they are miles ahead of other school districts in the country.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:14 AM

This house looks awesome for the price. No photos in MRIS homes yet - but another source that I have shows really great photos.

2513 FARRIER LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | MLS FX9620673 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia