Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times

Advertisements

I know, they are bad but which is worse on a Friday afternoon? Going to be at Annandale NOVA at the beltway and Little River Turnpike heading back to Lake Anna around 3:00 on Friday. Usually I'm out in western Fairfax so always take 66 to Gainesville and down 29 but given where I'll be this time I'm contemplating the express lanes on 95 then cutting over at Fredericksburg. Trying to figure out best of two bad options given the time. I'll most likely be coming up in the morning via 29 and 66 as I've done that one before and know what to expect which isn't pretty either but figures it beats 95 in the am. Any guesses on hotlines cost for 95 from the beltway to Garrison? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:19 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Not sure about costs but I'd go with 95. With the dedicated lanes you have a better chance of them being open or at least moving better. 66 HOV lanes, as I'm sure you know, will easily become clogged.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:37 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,997 times
66 shouldn't be too bad once you get past the Nutley Street exit (everyone merging back on from the Vienna Metro Station).

I'd say 95 South will be worse, easily.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:44 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
Traffic will definitely be worse in the main lanes on 95. I have noticed a real pickup in traffic on 95 between Fredburg and Woodbridge the last couple weeks and it's only to get worse with the improving weather. I would still probably take 95 because of the HOT lanes option and I hate taking back roads like 29.

It's usually about $8-$9 to Quantico and then usually about $10 just from Quantico to Garrisonville (they want you to exit before here because it backs up where the HOT Lanes end).

Old 04-07-2016, 06:50 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
I would take 95 since it's a more direct route to Lake Anna, and it not being regular occurrence, pay the toll to ride the express lanes to the end. Leaving at 3, you'd likely get to Fredericksburg before traffic gets really bad.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 AM

Thanks all. I probably will bite the bullet and pay the tolls since it only a one time occurance. I know there's no entrance to the beltway hot lanes at Little River Turnpike so I'm guessing it's best to just get on there and pick them up at I-95 south? Is it fairly obvious what lane to get into to do that?

To replay to a couple of other notes, 66HOV is no good for me as I'm by myself. I know it backs up big time until Nutley so if going that way I'd go the surface streets to Fairfax City before getting on it however I know that can be messy too.

Also regarding the reference to 29 as a backroad. If meant in terms of an alternate, it's the best if out in western Fairfax. If meant as a small, backroad type of road, no way! It's four lane all the way. My back roads start on 522 which really isn't as bad as the real backroad narrow curvey roads around the lake. Makes driving intersting sometimes although I sure don't miss the mess of driving in NoVa!

Old 04-07-2016, 07:59 AM

857 posts, read 844,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Thanks all. I probably will bite the bullet and pay the tolls since it only a one time occurance. I know there's no entrance to the beltway hot lanes at Little River Turnpike so I'm guessing it's best to just get on there and pick them up at I-95 south? Is it fairly obvious what lane to get into to do that?

To replay to a couple of other notes, 66HOV is no good for me as I'm by myself. I know it backs up big time until Nutley so if going that way I'd go the surface streets to Fairfax City before getting on it however I know that can be messy too.

Also regarding the reference to 29 as a backroad. If meant in terms of an alternate, it's the best if out in western Fairfax. If meant as a small, backroad type of road, no way! It's four lane all the way. My back roads start on 522 which really isn't as bad as the real backroad narrow curvey roads around the lake. Makes driving intersting sometimes although I sure don't miss the mess of driving in NoVa!

Yes, can't miss HOV lane entrances on 95; just stay in the left lane and keep an eye out for the next entrance (on the left). You will definitely run into issues by Stafford when coming off HOV as they end there; usually a major cluster merging back onto 95 and sloooowly moving south from there. 95 south is always a parking lot during the afternoon and especially on Fridays. You may want to check whether you can take 123 to 95, as I have done that in the past to cut down the time I spend sitting on 95 south.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
It's actually a left exit on 495 when approaching the Mixing Bowl. Here's a picture: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7934...7i13312!8i6656.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:56 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Also, just wanted to add that the last two Fridays on 95 south were heavier than usual due to the 2 week span of spring breaks for the public and private schools (various systems alternate). Everyone is back to school this week and I expect that this Friday will be just the usual hell.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
It's actually a left exit on 495 when approaching the Mixing Bowl. Here's a picture: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7934...7i13312!8i6656.
Thanks. Good idea to google cam it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Also, just wanted to add that the last two Fridays on 95 south were heavier than usual due to the 2 week span of spring breaks for the public and private schools (various systems alternate). Everyone is back to school this week and I expect that this Friday will be just the usual hell.
LOL! Yes, I know, pick my poison. What I do to keep in touch with dear professional friends. And, then, on Saturday we get to do it again, drive up to Arlington to see DS who is in town on business. At least that'll be DH driving and a Saturday, not a rush hour (as if it makes any difference on 95 I know...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia