U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:00 PM

846 posts, read 3,061,331 times

Advertisements

Hey, I thought it might be fun to revive the time-worn VA vs. MD debate (mainly because I'm going to be moving to the area shortly, and want to know where to live).

So, other than commute/where you're working, why did you (or why would you) choose one over the other?

Are there cultural differences? Differences in how the areas were developed that matter (more density here, more suburban there)? How do the school compare -- when you look at statistics on GreatSchools.net, how does, say, an "8" school in MD compare to an "8" in VA? Are MD roads and drivers really worse, or is that my husband's imagination?

Let the MD-bashing begin! (joke)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 12:54 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,821,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
So, other than commute/where you're working, why did you (or why would you) choose one over the other?

Let the MD-bashing begin!
Sorry, it's about the commute. It's all about the commute. It's only about the commute.

I guess you have to live here to really understand. Seriously--it's about the commute.

The two states are pretty much the same. Individual communities within the state vary--but both states have a complete assortment of communities and every kind of personality.

Both states have rich people and poor people. Both have areas with crime and areas without crime. Both states have good schools and bad schools.

But hey--why not choose to buy a house in Virginia? Specifically, Michael Vick's old place. He isn't involved in dog fighting down here anymore, maybe there's an opening for you. Might be just the career for someone who likes to incite a fight.

Last edited by normie; 02-12-2008 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 25,655 times
Well my wife and I are both from Texas and we said no to Northern Influence. We just wish it was not so expensive here. I work in DC but where else can you start in Goverment at a GS-13 and then leave in 5-7 years for a better place like Wyoming, Montana, Colorodo, Nevada or Utah some place with wide open spaces and less politics.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,586,092 times
We will be moving to NoVA next year or so. My husband has no commute, will work from home, but needs to take a train into DC a couple times a month. Plus he has some business in Fairfax from time to time. We believe NoVA will be more family-friendly, less liberal, have better housing stock for rent and have more shopping options than MD. Please correct me if I'm wrong--better to know before we move, right?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:07 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,055,058 times
We believe NoVA will be more family-friendly, less liberal, have better housing stock for rent and have more shopping options than MD. Please correct me if I'm wrong--better to know before we move, right?

I've lived in northern Virginia for more than 20 years. The Maryland suburbs do tend to be a bit more liberal than Virginia, but not strikingly so. Both sides of the Potomac attract bright, educated, high-achieving people. Both areas are equally family-friendly, with excellent public schools, recreational facilities, and youth sports activities. The retail options are about the same, with Virginia having the mall "edge" with Tyson's and Tyson's II. I think that both areas have diverse housing rental options.

Maryland definitely has more private school options, especially Jewish day schools and single-sex schools, Catholic and otherwise. For example, there are NO all-boys' schools in northern Virginia. Montgomery County also has a significantly larger Jewish population. Virginia probably has more active-duty and retired military.

Virginia probably has the edge with public higher education -- UVa, William and Mary, Va Tech, George Mason, James Madison, and Mary Washington. Maryland has U-Md at College Park, but fewer schools comparable to the Virginia offerings.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Sorry, it's about the commute. It's all about the commute. It's only about the commute.

I guess you have to live here to really understand. Seriously--it's about the commute.

The two states are pretty much the same. Individual communities within the state vary--but both states have a complete assortment of communities and every kind of personality.

Both states have rich people and poor people. Both have areas with crime and areas without crime. Both states have good schools and bad schools.

But hey--why not choose to buy a house in Virginia? Specifically, Michael Vick's old place. He isn't involved in dog fighting down here anymore, maybe there's an opening for you. Might be just the career for someone who likes to incite a fight.

There's more to life than commuting. Besides, what if you're working in DC? Then it doesn't matter which state you pick, because you're commuting to the spot in between.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:35 PM

OK, how's this then:

What's the difference between Bethesda/Chevy Chase and Arlington/Falls Church? These are the only places (outside of Old Town, which is just not in the running) anyone claims are at all "walkable" that have decent schools. So, what do you think?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:41 PM

957 posts, read 1,298,358 times
One word.

Taxes.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,821,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
There's more to life than commuting. Besides, what if you're working in DC? Then it doesn't matter which state you pick, because you're commuting to the spot in between.
Exactly--it doesn't matter which state you pick. No matter where the job may be, you want to find a neighborhood that is an easy commute and has specific attributes that interest you. Which state the neighborhood happens to be in isn't important.

If you care about voting rights, I can see that you might not want to live in DC. Other than that, choose a neighborhood you like and don't worry about what state it's in.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Exactly--it doesn't matter which state you pick. No matter where the job may be, you want to find a neighborhood that is an easy commute and has specific attributes that interest you. Which state the neighborhood happens to be in isn't important.

If you care about voting rights, I can see that you might not want to live in DC. Other than that, choose a neighborhood you like and don't worry about what state it's in.
Yeah, the point of the thread was to solicit opinions to help with ID'ing some of those "attributes". Oh never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia