U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,117 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm relocating to the DMV area for a job at the end of the month and would love any insight into finding an apartment/condo. I've had my eyes mostly on the Alexandria/Arlington areas but I'm fairly open. I'll be working at Bolling AFB and would ideally like to stay between $1,400-$1,900 a month I will be driving to/from work but also like the idea of cycling if the opportunity can present itself.

Would be appreciative of any insight for areas that are safe or places to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 03:51 PM

313 posts, read 461,216 times
You will be on the higher end of your budget if you're looking at arlington/alexandria unless you're open to roommates.

I'd be extremely skeptical of anybody offering a 1BR less than 1500 in those neighborhoods.

Your commute for the most part will be cake, although I'm not sure how cycling into Bolling would work. I'm sure you probably could, just never seen anybody do it during my time there.

If you're looking for a younger crowd to hang out with stick to Clarendon and Rosslyn in Arlington, otherwise the other neighborhoods for the most part are established professionals

Old 04-10-2016, 05:46 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,837,249 times
There are many places in South Arlington (check along the south side of columbia pike) that are in your price range and an easy drive to Bolling.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:40 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,990,176 times
Price range is totally on point for a studio or 1BR. You'll have a ton of options. A quick craigslist or apt site search will show you what's out there.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:27 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,708,684 times
You can get a 1BR in North Arlington off of Metro's Orange Line for $1900. But you can also get studios/1BRs for $1500-1600. Look here: https://arlingtonurbanrentals.com/.

As far as biking, Arlington is super bike friendly and that would be a very easy commute from North Arlington. I commute from North Arlington to Fort McNair in SW DC. Bolling AFB is only a little further. Fairfax Drive/Wilson Boulevard/Clarendon Boulevard all have bike lanes through North Arlington and then it would literally be trails almost the entire rest of the way. Here's a map of the way I would suggest: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.8...38.8458162!3e1. Coming back, there is about a 200 ft hill between Rosslyn and Courthouse in Arlington so that can be a bit of a challenge for lazy bicyclists like me, but for an experience one it's not terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or