Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:01 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,464 times

Advertisements

It depends on the community and what is covered. So they are not always that high. For the DC area, that is closer to the median, I have seen MUCH higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 08:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
Condo fee will be that high, because it literally includes all the maintenance associated with the building, and as well as amenities you may have there(pool, doorman, etc). Townhouse HOA dues shouldn't be that high, unless it's one of those condo townhouses that also covers everything.

My townhouse HOA is $75 a month but only covers trash/snow removal/landscaping/parking lot. We're responsible for all home maintenance.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 AM

48 posts, read 52,846 times
Yes, that's normal...keyword here being ARLINGTON...

Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 PM

406 posts, read 619,613 times
We are more like 150/month in Fairfax, I would say that is slightly towards the high end, largely because we have a pool.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:03 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavok View Post
I've been living in Arlington for about 7 months, and I really want to buy a place here, but reasonably sized houses in good condition are a bit out of my price range. So I figured a condo or townhome would be the obvious sacrifice, where I'd be able to get a little more space for a bit less money.

But the HOA/Condo fees look absolutely killer. Are these numbers from realtor.com actually what people are paying in this area every month? On realtor.com these seem to be very typical. However, I have come across some some townhouses in Alexandria with more realistic $80-$150 fees, but they're the exception. For the monthly amount I'd pay on a $500,000 mortgage with a $500 monthly HOA, I could get a $615,000 mortgage for a house with no HOA fee. That makes me think that their numbers are off - who would be willing to pay that sunk cost? Why wouldn't people just rent?

Here's a no-thrills condo in what looks like a bland 30-40 year old 10 story building:

1016 Wayne St S Unit 404, Arlington, VA 22204 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Condo
Price: $499,900
HOA Fee: $573.16

Seriously? An HOA fee would be 25% of my mortgage payment? I always thought one of the blessings of a Condo or townhouse is that you don't need to worry about major unplanned maintenance costs, and it's often cheaper due to shared interest. Roofs, HVAC, plumbing, etc. However, having owned a large house for 5 years in Colorado, I could never imagine spending $6800 per year on maintenance. I could get a new roof and hot water heater every 2 years, and pay for someone to cut my grass and shovel my driveway/sidewalk to boot. What could they possibly spend $6800 on per unit every year?

A few more examples:
2270 S Garfield St Unit 4, Arlington, VA 22206 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Townhouse
Price: $524,500
HOA Fee: $595

3805 9th Rd S, Arlington, VA 22204 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Townhouse
Price: $449,000
HOA Fee: $504
A fee simple townhouse should be well under $200/month in Arlington, unless there are a number of extras being included.

The first townhome you are looking at is actually a condominium that looks like a townhome. The $500+ fees are covering external maintenance and overall building maintenance at that point.

The second one looks like the HOA is covering exterior maintenance which is a pretty healthy expense for any home, particularly depending on how that is defined.

Both those places go for less than comparable size townhomes nearby to compensate for the higher monthly fees associated with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia